BCD failure at 100 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LarryR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't think our BCD's get the credit they are due. I see by the way they get treated we take them for granted. Our regs are in cushioned boxes that travel first class. Our computers are in cloth lined cases or bags that never leave our sides.
But our BCD's get thrown in the back of the pick up truck for the ride to the boat or the dive site.
They deserve more respect.
I have to admit I have never really given any thought to what would happen if mine failed to function at all. Yes in training we all were taught to drop weights in the event of a catastrophic event but that is a last ditch effort and this really didn't fit that category.
I might suggest the next time you feel so inclined you purge the air out of your BCD in a safe place and find out just how much we need this equipment to operate.
Then you may better understand the situation I found myself in last week. If nothing else, you will be better prepared to deal with this event should it ever happen to you.
The event,
I was diving a charter off NC in 100+ feet of water recently. My purpose was to spearfish and I was diving solo. I was carrying more than enough gas for the dive as well as my 19cf pony. I routinely dive solo and felt confident and comfortable in this setting. It was the first dive of the day.

In my effort to get off the boat before the larger group I forgot my wreck reel. I realized this 15-20 feet down but decided it would be wise to surface and get it since visibility wasn't great and it was an easy area to get turned around in. This would prove itself to be a wise choice 12 minutes later.

I descended down the line without any current and clipped off my reel to the anchor chain. With a ledge off to my right I took a look at my compass and started to hunt as I let out line. At this point everything seemed normal with no buoyancy issues. I had traveled maybe 100 feet when my reel fouled up. (Was that a sign?)
With a solid ledge on my right I felt comfortable in leaving the reel on a rock and continuing a bit further down the ledge knowing it was an easy return trip.
Maybe 50 feet further I shot and missed a target. I also remember starting to settle down to the bottom and that my balance felt off like I was top heavy. I shot a couple of quick bursts of air into my vest without much thought and started to reload as quickly as possible since my time at depth was limited. I had started this process standing on a rock but off balance, I had settled to the sand in a standing position. This was the first sign of trouble but it went unnoticed with my concentration on loading my gun. At this point my BCD was not holding any air and the off balance feeling was me feeling the entire weight of my gear without buoyancy.

Once reloaded and still unaware of the issue, I pushed off the bottom, hit my inflator for a brief moment and kicked a couple of times expecting to be floating about 10 feet off the bottom in a horizontal position. Instead, I found myself horizontal alright, headed straight back down to the sand and rock a few feet below.
Enough, where's that inflator hose. BIG air blast. It was then I noticed the sound of escaping air and a quick look up confirmed my suspicions that I had a problem as I watched my once plentiful gas supply rise to the surface without me.

Now I will admit, the pucker factor kicked in pretty quick at this point. Not so much scared, that came later, but knowing that I had a real problem and I need to work it out.
Take stock, gas? 1600 lbs and change. OK. Pony 19cf 3000 lbs good. Lost ? No. Follow the ledge to the reel to the anchor and up.
How bad can this be ? Unload the gun and start swimming.
It was then I found out just how much I count on that extra buoyancy. I pushed off the bottom and angled my body about 45 degrees up to start and gain altitude from the bottom as I retraced my route. It was much harder work than I ever imagined. Remember I said something about not being scared yet? It showed up then. The feeling of immediately sinking if I stopped fining was very unnerving to say the least. According to the data I later retrieved on the home computer off my dive computer my SAC rate had tripled. Tripled at now 90 feet down burns allot of gas. I made the mistake of looking at the amount of gas I was using computed to minutes on my dive computer. Seeing that rate of consumption and at that depth made me put a permanent wrinkle in the butt end side of my wetsuit. I needed to keep moving.

I am happy to say though, I never did panic. I was scared though I will admit.
I followed the line I had almost forgotten to bring back to the boat anchor. Once there, I pulled myself to the surface, made my safety stop and got back on the boat with only an assent warning and a high heart rate for my trouble. I didn't bother to retrieve my reel, it was unimportant given the situation. It was later brought to the surface by another diver.

What did I learn?
Don't overlook any part of your equipment. If you dive with it, it is important. This failure came in the form of a simple twist cap on the top of my inflator line. But it could have been any cap or vent in my BCD. You can bet I will check everyone of them every dive from here on out.

Know where you are and how to get back to the boat. Had I been lost or even just unsure of where I was, my choices would have been much more limited and carrying a higher risk.
As it was, I had a plan based on knowing where I was and it worked. (Wreck reel, never leave home without it.)

Don't be overconfident in your abilities in a stressful situation. I have been fortunate to participate in a number of activities that most would consider "risky". I feel that I handled this situation well and my SAC rate still went through the roof.
And with that, don't try to be the guy with the least air in his tank back on the boat. Had this happened with a few hundred pounds less air, things would have much more interesting, to say the least.
Simply put, take more gas than you need.

Pay more attention to your weight, I have 3 suits and dive with 3 different size tanks. I had never dived the suit tank combo I had that day. I may have been heavy to start with.

Should this happen to you, remember any other floatation gear you may be carrying such as a lift bag or safety sausage. I had a sausage but never thought to use it for extra lift. It would have been a bit cumbersome but a may have helped if things really started going south.

Remember, our regulators allow us to travel in the underwater world. Our BCD's bring us back to our world. When did you last check yours?
Dive safe, Dive smart, Dive prepared

Pull Dump?

Glad you are still among us. I agree, we tend to ignore BCD's more often than not.

Any OPV can go bad, the the pull dump is not a good one to go because your BCD won't hold any air (butt dumps are not so bad), you still have some lift.
This is one of the reasons I like to always carry a good sized SMB, it's an alternate source of lift. Also I have on occasion been lost and unable to find the anchor line. Having an alternate, controlled way up to the surface is a warm fuzzy I like to have.

The only parts of this I can agree with are (1) good you survived, and (2) people should know what it's like to try to swim up the rigs they dive in the exposure pro and fins they generally use.

I dive double steel 130s and 100s in deep ocean water pretty regularly and wear trunks, a lavacore, and jets while doing it. If I have to, I can swim them up but you'd better beleive that my wings get just as much love as my regs and computers. But the wing not failing is more of an annoyance thing than a survival thing, so a couple of questions about why the fright:

1. Because swimming up heavy tanks sucks, and is sometimes not an option, I also carry at least one 40lb lift SMB that I've used in a simulated wing failure. It sounds like you were diving a steel tank wet, and you were redundancy-wise enough to have a 30cf pony...so why no SMB? Or did you forget you had one and could use it? That would sound like panic to me.

2. You were only at 100' and you had plenty of backgas and a full pony: at the end of the day, your backmount rig should be expendable and you could have dropped it (or even removed just the tank and regs and re-donned the BC) and swum for the surface with the pony. Swimming up a pony should be no problem at all, so why not relax and breathe easy while silting your way back to the line? Again, I think you're missing how far from fear and into panic you were.

LarryR, thanks for posting this. Thanks to your story, I've thought up a bunch of "what would I do ifs" for myself. Also, I'm happy that I treat my BCD with almost as much love and care as any of my other gear. That said, still gonna go and make sure everything is nice and tight.

Are you diving with a little too much weight or were you more or less neutral on the safety stop?

I carry a lift bag w/ dump valve just for this event. I do take care of my kit, all of it, but realizing that its all life support gear I dive with redundant systems. I practice using my back up plans and also realize that my pony is side mounted not so I can give it away, but so that I can remove my full kit, tag it with a reel and smb, and swim just my pony up the rope if needed. Yes, I would take a second to mark where I left my sizable investment for recovery if possible. Hearing that you made it back is good news. That which does not kill us, will only make us stronger... I bet you have an alternate plan the next time you get wet. Thanks for sharing your experience.

How did your BC fail exactly? Was it something you could have fixed underwater?

Thanks for the cautionary lesson.

I always fill my BC at the end of a dive and keep it inflated till next week's dive. If it is limp, then I have a problem to address.

Hi larry
I too have had my share of lift problems. Though i dont need to go into them i found that it is easy to damage a bladder when it gets pinched between 2 tanks. (transporting multiple ready to go rigs stacked in the back of a vehicle. I just went through my 3rd wing and waiting to get it fixed. Now i know the cause my concerns are over and i will always carry an smb of similar device.
Too your credit you did one thing very well. You too stock in your resources. With air you have no emergengy, just inconveniences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom