This experience stopped me diving for 9 years.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottishscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I undertook my PADI open water in summer 2000 in the pristine warm waters of Indonesia, lucky me! Decided I loved diving and on returning to Scotland also decided that the water was too cold to dive without the option to do so in a drysuit. So with my OW qual under my belt and 6 dives in my log book I went to the local PADI dive shop and arranged to do my drysuit speciality. 2 pool dives, no bother (I never found buoyancy difficult to master) then off to the wilds of the North Sea to do the proper dives.

We went to Sandend on the North East coast in May 2001 and entered the water with buddy (i'd never met before) and instructor. We went out into the sea to about 10m depth to do the various skills required. The visibility was terrible and there was also a lot of surge. it was like diving in a washing machine. Managed not to spew and did skills. Started swimming in the narrow channel back to the harbour and the tide had turned. The current was so strong that I couldn't swim against it. my buddy had vanished into the gloom. I ended up finning as hard as I could (puffing hard) with the incoming waves then digging my fins into the substrate and hanging onto the seaweed to stop myself being swept away. finally made it into the harbour and rejoined the instructor and buddy, explained how hard I'd found it etc. dive number 2 was equally grim though didn't get separated this time. Got drysuit speciality signed off. yippee so I thought.

Next diving opportunity didnt arise until October 2001 when I was on holiday in South Africa. Arranged to go on a boat dive from Cape Town. Shoehorned into 14mm of wetsuit that was too small for me (I'm buxom), not enough weight round my middle. I was also slightly anxious as I'd not dived for a few months. So jumped in, let air out of BCD and found myself still bobbing on the surface. DM (or whoever was guiding the dive) grabbed my fins to try and pull me down. PANIC.

I've never had a panic attack before or since but I couldn't breathe. I totally lost the plot. ended up being scooped up by the boat and sitting out the day on the surface and vowed never again to don SCUBA and plunge into the drink.

Looking back there was a catalogue of errors on my part (naive and knowing virtually nothing about diving) and also IMO failings on the dive operators parts too. It culminated in my refusing to enter the water in scuba gear until 2010

In 2010 I went to Dahab for a week in the hope that I'd get my mojo back. (poseidon divers were fab) I explained what had happened to the instructor who agreed to take me to their "confined" area for a review dive. (He said I seemed more like a diver who had not been in the water for a few years, not the timeframe that I'd actually been away)

The rest is history, I got going again with a great instructor who was sympathetic to my anxiety and rebuilt my confidence. I came home from there AOW :) Since then I've been diving in Malta and the Philippines and am heading back to Dahab. I've got my Nitrox qual now and am much more confident (when I was doing the nitrox dives in the Philippines the instructor said that I handled myself very well under the water and that if he didnt know I'd only done 30something dives would have said I was much more experienced :) )

Like driving or indeed my own (and most) profession, you learn to dive/drive once you have the bit of paper saying you can do it. I'm constantly striving to improve my diving skills and develop my awareness.

Great story, and I'm glad you had the grit to give it another go!

Thank you for your story. Even the smallest events can domino into terror. And I truly believe that if one is feeling terrified, there may indeed be a valid reason for it. Feeling out of control above water is one thing (we can still breath), feeling out of control under the water is entirely different. I cannot believe whoever it was that tried to drag you down, before you were ready, thought that was a good idea!
I hope it isn't 10 years before I can once again make that leap of faith... I do so love diving.

Welcome back!

I had an incident in 1986 where I almost killed myself at Blue Springs in Florida. Significantly overweighted, no octo (who knew to carry one??) and no buddy, my regulator fell out of the mouthpiece. I breathed out, then tried to breathe in expecting a nice lung full of air. Got a mouth full of water and panicked. I headed for the surface and barely made it for a very fast breath before going under again. I finally made it to where I could stand and didn't dive again until 2012. I go back & forth between regretting not coming back sooner, and knowing I wasn't ready.

I hope it isn't 10 years before I can once again make that leap of faith... I do so love diving.

Well get thee to a dive shop and get back in there (after Dr says its OK). Its like falling off a horse, the longer you leave it the more your head makes it into something big. If you can, I'd consider doing a scuba review or similar (depending on your cert agency), I find it reassuring to do a dive with an instructor and practice a few skills.

I've reconciled what happened to me, and am making sure that I put as much as I can in place to prevent that ever happening again.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of diving.

I had a sort of panic attack once in my early dives when I jumped in the water and my BC inflator detached from the BC. Apparently my BC had no air and I started sinking immediately (being overweighted as most new divers) with no way to become buoyant. Dropping weights or orally inflating my BC was not on my immediate list of things to do back then... Long story short, with the guidance of the fellow divers in the water, I was helped back to the boat. At that moment I felt that I was saved from a near drowning experience and maybe I did not want to dive ever again. Dying by drowning was not the way I planned to go. But a friend who was present and is an instructor (he was not my buddy) suggested that I take a little time to relax and try to go down for the dive anyway which I did. At the end of the day I had lost some of my pride but with the reassurance of the divers around me I never stopped (and enjoying) diving.

Looking back the way that the fellow divers handled my experience, they were the reason I never gave up. I also realized that the way they treated me was "Rescue Class textbook" but it really worked. Reading your story, it seems to me that the people around you in the dives that lead into you giving up divining, were not good professionals and failed to handle your incidents properly. Thankfully you were brave enough to give diving another chance with the right people...

Have lots of fun and safe dives!

Last edited:
Dytis, you said it yourself. To carry too much weight is dangerous. If you jump in the water with a deflated BCD but the regulator in your month, you should be able to stay at the surface just by having full lungs. Where is the problem, where is the near drowning experience then? But if one jumps in the water with too much weight, surges to the surface finning violently , takes his regulator off in order to scream for help. Then we have a good chance for desaster. I have seen it: just crazy.

Dytis, you said it yourself. To carry too much weight is dangerous. If you jump in the water with a deflated BCD but the regulator in your month, you should be able to stay at the surface just by having full lungs. Where is the problem, where is the near drowning experience then? But if one jumps in the water with too much weight, surges to the surface finning violently , takes his regulator off in order to scream for help. Then we have a good chance for desaster. I have seen it: just crazy.

One regret that I have from my early days of diving was the fact that I was carrying double the weight I was supposed to. This cost me the pleasure of longer and more pleasurable dives for a while. It was also dangerous. This is also why I disagree with the philosophy of most instructors to overweigh student divers just so that they can proceed to the bottom more easily and perform tasks... It took me a while and the help of friends to get to the correct weight... and long after I took the peak buoyancy course! But that is another discussion which I think is often brought up and I would rather not change the subject here...

Back
Top Bottom