Perforated an eardrum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Perforated an eardrum this Sunday.

Light pink fluid slowly leaking out, didn’t need a medical professional to call that one. Sitting in the ‘think about it’ chair right now, can’t dive until an ENT clears me. Serious bummer this point in the dive season.

The seas were typically sporty for New Jersey, 3-4’ with large swells on about 10 second intervals. Maybe 8’ visibility. So I splash and decide that the surface sucks, let’s just boogie down to the wreck. On the Catalina line, slightly negative and I notice a strong ear squeeze. Odd, I usually clear quite easily. Pinch and blow, something clears, so go for it! Bad move.

Only one ear had cleared. Heard a distinct ‘pop’ at the tie-in. Other ear hadn’t cleared. Freaking unbelievable vertigo! Felt like the downline was spinning in every which direction. ‘Up’ was nothing more than a concept. Added gas to my drysuit, I know –should have been my wing, and slowly eased my grip on the line. Started going somewhere, right, left, up, down, sideways… Line running too fast, dumped gas, stopped. Hanging there feeling very not right. Added a bit of gas to my wing, on the move again. Vertigo disappears as quickly as its onset. Damn, this is real, what will it cost me physically and with dives?

Surfaced on the anchor line just to get out of the water, worried about infection. Surface swam around to stern. Crew was all over it, threw me a line. Sweet, starting to feel that a bit of help would be welcome, not at all ‘me’, I can do it myself. Back on board, Captain and crew expressing honest concern. This was the boat that baptized me in the Atlantic many years ago. I’m now a bubble watcher on this dive.

Aside: The day wasn’t all bad, got mooned by the Gypsy Blood. You suckers! Identify yourselves!!!

Sunday night, back in Delaware went to a medical aid unit. On antibiotics until my doc can see me and possibly refer me to an ENT. I’ll be baaaaack…

So bottom line, lesson learned. I should take MY OWN freaking internet advice and SLOW DOWN, it really isn’t a race.

Damn, just damn…

Thanks for sharing the experience so others can learn from it. A real world practical example is quite useful.

Richard.

Sorry to hear that. I've had more than my fair share of ear troubles which culminated in a myringoplasty four years ago.

You are so right about taking it slow. Make your recovery slow too. Don't be too keen to jump back in to the water, give it time to heal properly*

*I am a doctor, but neither an ENT or diving doctor, advice based on personal experience and rupturing my right ear drum more times than I care to mention.

Perfed my right ear a couple of weeks prior to my last trip to the Keys. Took about 6 weeks to heal, never got infected beyond the infection that popped it originally (I did see the doc, and got antibiotics).

I broke my nose as a kid and have had very tight sinuses ever since. Started using Pro Plugs...world of difference, and the temperature variation is much gentler.

Oof! Vertigo underwater is no fun at all (I say as someone who has experienced it way too many times). Glad you kept your wits about you and terminated the dive safely.

thanks for sharing and get well soon....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom