Toe Nails sort of falling after scuba diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namerg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

Finally I got certified at the Homestead crater in Utah. But, one question. I am not sure if because of the contents of the water but my big toe nails starting to hurt while having the fins under the water then at the end of the dives, i saw my toe nails, really soft and some of a curve rupture starting in the from that went through the middle till the top right/left corner.

I bought some band-aids, i put two on each toe and still felt the discomfort.

Thoughts ? Recommendations ?

It's hard to tell if it is a problem with your fins or dive booties or if it is coincidental and you are developing a fungal infection of the nails. Did you use shoe fins or did you wear booties? How long ago did you do the dives and when did you notice the problem?

If the problem continues you should see a dermatologist or podiatrist to get a competent medical opinion.

Last edited:
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks KathyV. This past weekend, March 14-15 (2015). I wore shoe fins. Once i got out of the crater felt relieved, took a shower and all looks good. But, now making some memory I did not feel that discomfort on the confined dive (pool) back in November (2014) and also February (2014) i went into the ocean, stay inside long time and not discomfort. I think i am pointing to the different natural chemicals that the thermal water has...On April i am going to South Florida and i think i will see if i feel the same discomfort.

May want to consult with a dermatologist or podiatrist but it may have just been the heat. The water is currently at 93*F and it is possible the heat caused some swelling of the feet, which could make for a more snug fit of the fin.
I have made a large number of dives there and have to be careful when making multiple dives, three or more, for similar reasons. While I wear booties and an open heel fin I can still feel some swelling and sensitivity in my feet.

Hmm interesting. I am going to South Florida on mid April and will do some scuba down there, I'll see how the toe nails behave. But you are right might need to consult a dermatologist.

I've seen divers lose toenails from poorly fitting fins many times. Your fins should always be comfortable. I wear open heel always because of this. I am a 5E width in Redwing boots and a wide in Nike sneakers, so I wear fins with a very large foot pocket and a 5mm thick boot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426728716.690971.jpg

I had trouble with some old fins because my foot would work it's way forward, then the toes would jam up under the edge of the toe opening. They hit right across the big toe nail bed, and did a lot of damage. Then I started buying my own gear and got fitted for some fins...no more problem.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom