Good times to take classes? downseason?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvtStash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hellohello, I'm planning on learning how to dive sometime in the next year and wondered if there were any seasonal implications to a newbie getting involved such as...

As far as time of the year Jan-Dec, is there a "busy" season? on one hand I like the idea of learning during the busy season as there will prob be more students per class and that usually means a lower instructional fee. On the other hand I like the idea of going during the "slow" part of the season with potentially less students per class so that I can recieve more attention/better instruction.

Other perks from busy season vs. slow season might be better deals on training/Equiptment at different times of the year.

Any insight from you Veterans out there ?

You're much better off being careful in your selection of an instructor than you are in concerning yourself over season. There's a very wide variation in quality of classes. It's pretty easy to find poor classes. Excellent ones are more difficult, but can be found.

Take your time to research and find the best instructor in your area. Next, take time to complete the course. A good course will last several weeks. Don't rush this, it's something you can spend the rest of your life enjoying.

How do I find an above average course and how will I know I've found it?

Interview potential instructors. Most people never ask any questions beyond price. As the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for." Excellent instructors will usually have a higher priced class for a number of reasons. The instructor is dedicated toward providing you all the time you need to master necessary knowledge and skills. Extra pool time can be expensive. Keep in mind; the instructor is trying to make a living. His time is valuable.

Consider alternatives. While many instructors teach through dive shops, some of the best are independent instructors or affiliated with colleges, universities or YMCA's.

Questions to ask the instructors:

How long have you been teaching? Most instructors improve over time. They learn new techniques and get ideas from other instructors and through experience to improve their classes.

Do you certify all your students? Only instructors who are in a hurry and care nothing about your safety will answer yes. You want an instructor who will require you to be safe and knowledgeable before issuing a c-card. An excellent instructor might tell you that he is willing to keep working with a student until the student either qualifies or gives up.

What skin diving skills will I learn? While there is some disagreement on this point, many professionals believe a solid foundation in skin diving will not only make you a better SCUBA diver, it will make learning SCUBA easier.

Will I learn confidence-building skills? There are some skills which have no direct application to a typical dive, but which do build your confidence as well as your abilities. This, combined with an understanding of the panic cycle, will make you much less likely to panic.

Do you teach the panic cycle? Panic is the most dangerous aspect of diving. Many instructors do not understand panic and believe there is no way to combat it. In actuality, panic is understood. It is though learning the panic cycle and by increasing skill levels that panic is avoided.

Do your students swim with their hands? This will let you know if the instructor pays attention to details. Good divers do not use their hands for swimming.

Do you work on trim? Divers should usually be horizontal in the water. Good instructors will see that students are striving towards good trim. Poor instructors often neglect it.

Do you overweight your students? Many instructors overweight students. It is not a good practice.

What method do you use to correctly weight your students? Any answer that does not involve actually getting in the water means you want to avoid that instructor.

How many people will be in my class? Small classes are better. You'll have more individual attention. Unless the instructor is using certified assistants, more than four students are difficult to watch.

How many certified assistants will you be using? Unless the class is relatively large (more than 4 students) this should not be an issue. An instructor should have a certified Divemaster or Assistant Instructor for every two students over four. There are times when divers working on their Divemaster or Assistant Instructor certifications assist with a class. This is normal and not an issue, but they do not count toward the assistants an instructor should have when working with larger classes.

Will I be learning skills kneeling on the pool bottom or mid-water? This question is not critical, but will let you know if you've found an instructor who has a great deal on the ball. The over whelming majority of instructors (even good instructors) teach skills kneeling on the bottom. Don't eliminate instructors who do. Some instructors have realized your mask will flood while you are swimming, not when you are sitting on the bottom. You need to learn skills in the manner in which you'll be using them.

Do you dive for fun or just when you are teaching? Instructors who've stopped diving for fun are burned out.

Questions to ask yourself:

Is the instructor patient? While talking with your potential instructor, you should be getting a feel for his personality. Patience is an important quality for an instructor. You want to avoid instructors with a drill sergeant demeanor.

Would I be happier learning from a man or a woman? Only you can answer that question, but in general it is not usually a serious consideration. There are excellent instructors and there are poor instructors. Men and women fall into both groups.

Being in Toledo I assume you are asking about local instruction. I am also thinking that it is a relatively small scuba market so things can actually be a little unpredictable.

Spring will bring out the new crop of local diver candidates.

In the late fall you will see instructors trying to finish local open water work with the summer students.

Before the water gets cold the winter students planning to take a referral to warm water for their open water dives will be lining up.

The instructors will be traveling with students in the winter on shop sponsored dive trips.

All in all it never ends and probably ranges from chaotic to moderately busy.

That being said spring is probably the best time to start class if you intend to be an active local diver so you can get certified early in the season and then dive your heart out all summer. I would not be looking for a BIG class, quite the contrary the closer to 1:1 the better though it's nice to have a student buddy to be practicing with.

Walter gave a good outline of what to actually be looking for.

Pete

Having many students in a class isn't at all desirable and probably wouldn't make your rate cheaper anyway. They don't typically have a class price then divide by the number of students - they set the price per person, and possibly a minimum number of people for the class to run. If you get lucky you will get a small class that they don't cancel due to small size. I think 2-4 is nice. (If you specifically arranged for a private class, that would naturally be more expensive.)

If you are doing your checkout dives locally then spring when the water warms up is good. You can then dive all season. If you do it too late in the season, you run the risk of checkout dives getting delayed and then having no good time to delay them to, unless they do them all year there.

i will second what Walter said.

just like any other "schooling" the student to instructor ratio is key. I was lucky, for classes and pool sessions we had 1 instructor and 3 students. for the OW dives we had 2 instructors and 5 students. I can tell you from seeing the other classes at teh quarry doing their OW checkout dives, my situation was not the norm, and it showed in the ability of the other students.

I did my class in April and certified on Memorial Day. The class only had 4 students, 1 instructor, and an assistant instructor. It was a nice ratio.

On certification day, there was only me and one other student (my class dive buddy) since the other two didn't have free time to go with us. Each of us had a DM "chaparone" and then there was the instructor watching our skill demonstrations.

The water was... brisk, but the vis. that early in the year at the quarry was great. We were suited up in 7mm farmer johns complete with hoods so we were still pretty warm. The mask removal was interesting. NOthing like a blast of cold water to the face when you're 20' down.

Scuba is fun and addictive, but do you research on where/when you want to do class.

--Shannon

Getting certified now would probably mean waiting until Spring to do your check out dives or having a long period of no diving after your check out dives. Unless you don't mind the cold water. Some shops may discount classes during the winter, but I haven't seen that. More of what I've seen is shops cancelling classes because they don't have enough students enrolled. Do the research now and schedule something for early spring. Read over Walter's post. I also recommend looking for independent instructors. You're more likely to get a smaller or private class that way.

When do your local lakes and quarries freeze over? That would be a good time NOT to do it. Save up your nickels and dimes in the meantime.

If you want smaller classes with better instruction just stay away from big PADI facilities.

Prices are going to run about the same everywhere, with no discounts, because prices are already equilibrium-ized at rock bottom as things currently stand. Scuba instructors are all largely part time, with careers in other fields. The owner of the store will be an instructor who no longer has time to teach basic open water students. Instead, he/she teaches new instructors in an annual instructor training course for about $2000+ per.

Scuba, like equestrianism or auto racing, is not a cheap sport.

Snorkeling and freediving, on the other hand, have very minimal costs associated. You may want to try those instead, if cost is a major issue for you.

It is possible to find instructors out there independent from dive shops who charge less. Especially if they don't teach for a living. My instructor works for a living, has a nice job, is an ex-Navy diver with tons of experience, and enjoys teaching for fun. Instructors like that are likely to be rare, but you can be 99% sure that they will be patient and very competent teachers because it isn't a job - it's FUN to them.

Personally, I couldn't ask for a better instructor. Low cost, GOOD instructors are out there. Good luck finding them...

With that being said, normal-priced classes with excellent instructors with a good instructor-student ratio are more common. This *can* be a dangerous activity, and spending less for the wrong reasons just isn't worth it. Find a GOOD instructor with a good instructor to student ratio, then go from there. They may be willing to work out a deal where you can pay half now, half later, etc.

If you are doing your checkout dives locally then spring when the water warms up is good. You can then dive all season. If you do it too late in the season, you run the risk of checkout dives getting delayed and then having no good time to delay them to, unless they do them all year there.

In Ohio March is the coldest time of year for check-outs as far as water temperature. The fickle nature of the weather can make a cold experience miserable if your instructor doesn't have somewhere warm for you to huddle between dives. Mid to late May is when the water gets bearable in Ohio and the weather a little more predictable though I've seen snow on check-out weekends in May. Most instructors are done with Ohio check-out dives by the end of October but November in Ohio can lend itself to warm water. October and November weather can be as fickle as March.

Damselfish and the others pointed out that the earlier in the season you get certified, the more season you have available for diving. Gilboa Quarry (near Findlay) is generally open year round on the weekends (and all week during the summer) and seldom freezes over so diving can be had any time you feel like making the drive.

Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom