Dive Computer Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougchartier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I'm fairly new to diving (OW certified about one year ago) and am looking for a dive computer. I'd like one that has enough features such that it will offer what I'll need as I build up my skills and experience over the next few years. The Suunto D6 looks great, though the price is a little steep. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

I would get an air-integrated (AI), nitrox-compatible computer.

I don't believe the D6 is AI. Even if it were, I'm not a big fan of the small display on those nice wrist-style computers. Something like a Vytec may be ugly, but at least I can see it underwater. The Vytec with wireless transmitter is one way to go, if you want something for your wrist. If you don't mind a console unit, a Cobra is not a bad way to go, and can save you some money (relative to the Vytec w/transmitter).

Which ever brand you choose, and their are many, look for the following options. User changeable battery, Nitrox compatible, and easy on the eyes underwater. Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood and Genesis computers are all made by Pelagic and have similar features. Dive Rite, Tusa, Cressi-sub, and Zeagle all sell wrist mounted comupters that have the ability to program two gasses into the unit which would allow you to progress with your training and still use the same computer.

Only to add one thing to think about is that the smaller, watch like computers are a little harder to read than a regular puck sized ones, and while you could wear it as a watch, many do not want to subject their dive computer to those rigors.
And to get one with nitrox capability, it's not much added price and you just never know if your going to need it

a computer with Air Integration (reads tank pressure) is pretty expensive and you may end up not using that feature sometime down the road

I would highly recommend an AI computer and both my wife and I dive the Sherwood Wisdom. It's a console model. The numbers are large and the computer is very user friendly. Everthing you need is right on one screen. No need to flip back and fourth. It's also Nitrox compatible if you ever decide to go that route. I had a Suunto Cobra and loved that also but after getting my wife the Wisdom, I ended up wanting to use hers and she said "get your own". So I did.

I like my Pro Plus2 computers.

If you want a computer that will grow with you, you will probably have to pay more than you are anticipating. Defininitely go with an air integrated computer.

Another approach would be to buy an inexpensive computer now (probably non air integrated) and keep it as a backup computer when you are ready to buy a more "pro-level" computer.

I use an Uwatec Smart-Z as my "primary" computer. And, I always carry my Suuton Vyper as a backup.

Zeagle N2Ition is an affordable computer, 2 gas capable (if you go tech), with lot of info. It´s the same Seiko base computer as Tusa IQ700, DiveRite Nitek Duo, Cressi Archimedes, etc... It´s my first computer, I bought it a week ago and I´m very happy with it.

I have the Oceanic Geo and I thin it is a very good computer. I would recommend it.

Hm... I chose to NOT buy an AI computer. I don't mind having a separate analog gauge hanging at my hip for tank pressure. Now, the idea that an AI computer can measure your air consumption and use that as another decision point in determining Remaining Dive Time is pretty slick. But I just didn't want to add a failure mode for air pressure. And wireless is out of the question unless you have a separate analog gauge. The probablility that a wireless AI computer will measure pressure at any given time is not anywhere near 100%.

I can always get depth and time from my buddy. But I can't get tank pressure and it seems to me that knowing with certainty how much air I have left is pretty important for SCUBA.

Due to circumstances beyond my control (my back is trashed), I haven't had a chance to use my Dive Rite Nitek Duo (got it with the downloader from ScubaToys, the package price was very attractive) but my son-in-law likes it. He'll put another bunch of dives on it this weekend.

I am concerned my aged eyes won't be able to read the display unless I modify my mask to add reading lenses. So, maybe I should just buy the LiquiVision X1 - that thing is BRIGHT! Expensive, but BRIGHT!

In the end, just be sure you can use the computer with Nitrox and consider whether having 2 gases is important. For example, you will use Nitrox for the dive but you might use air for hanging out at 10'. The difference isn't really very important but the Nitek Duo can handle it.

More people are recommending AI than not. You'll have to make the choice.

If you want a trimix computer, good luck. I think the VR3 can handle it but I don't have any experience with that type of diving.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom