Diving Careers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax Teller

Reaction score
# of dives
I saw a thread about someone looking into getting into diving as a career. It was a short thread, so I didn't see any examples.

This got me wondering what careers there are as a diver. There's a dive instructor, but what other careers are there where you spend the vast majority of your time in the water? I'm not looking to pursue anything right now; I'm just curious.

If you use the term "career" VERY loosely to mean "stuff I get paid to do" you can be a DM at a vacation resort, you might even make enough in tips to eat once in a while.

Commercial diver.

Dive charter owners can fix it so they dive with the customers while an employee mans the wheel -- though they usually don't.

That's about it :)

I always believed the fastest way for me to hate something was to turn my hobby into my career.

Different for commercial, but the main problem w/ the dive industry is it pays poorly, the hours are terrible (you work when others are off), and the work is hard - big price to pay for a few feww dives; hell, I dive more than many I know in the industry!

And you want to be an owner? Best way to make a million in the dive business is start w/ 2 million!

There are also positions in the scientific and acedemic world that involve a lot of diving. You do have to have a higher education and some job skills other than blowing bubbles.

A lot of aquariums (large and public) have Diving Safety Officers and maintenance divers that are paid.

Sea urchins are still harvested by diving.

The fish farming industry uses divers to do repair work and other stuff.

Scrub recreational boat bottoms.

Collect golf balls.

Become a Cop or a firefighter in a costal city and get on their dive team. Or some mid west communities/counties have Public Safety Dive teams (usually in the Sharriff office).

Join the military and see the world! (via Iraq)

Join a treasure huntting company or salvage company.

Submarine ride support at expensive resorts.

Already mentioned: Commercial Diver, live aboard crew member, SCUBA instructor, Divemaster at a resort.

You must define career. Career is a good pay, mucho benefits with a retirement plan...um oki.
In the dive industry..career means you pay mucho cashola, no retirement plan - unless you enjoy being broke BUT you are not tied to a desk job. However I have friends whom work as commercial divers and are paid very well...get bent a few times here and there but are doing what they love to do. I also have a buddy dive instructor whom now works a a ship mate on very expensive personal yachts. Works almost 16-18 hour days, goes out to sea a few times..caters to the boat owners every whim plus has to be curtius to the hob snobs that are on board and is at times treated like crap...cleans the boat more than he cleans his apartment when on land...But loves it.

If this defines a career...then by all means...A career is what makes you the happiest.

Jax Teller:

Great question. Be prepared for a wide range of responses.

Here is a quick list of a baker's dozen (13) positions typically held by recreational scuba DM's and instuctors (some with and some without additional training). There are a lot more, but I thought this would be a good start. It would be truly great if members of ScubaBoard who work in each area would join in and provide you an overview of what they do, compensation ranges and how they see their career paths!

1. Instructor at a local dive shop (probably the most common).
2. Instructor at a destination resort (probably what most of us think of!)
3. Instructor on a live-a-board (a great way to dive your brains out for a time)
4. Dive control or safety officer on a Mega-yacht (many go on to six figure incomes at captians)
5. Retail Dive Shop Manager (people talented in sales can make it in any industry)
6. Dive charter boat crew up through captian (makes you a valuable candidate for resort jobs).
7. Underwater videographer (typically at a major resort)
8. Scuba Equipment Repair Technician (can work on salary or by the piece)
9. Manufacturer's sales representative (every major manufacturer has several US Reps)
10. Professional staff of a dive publication or dive certification agency.
11. Public safety diver -- while not required most county and city fire/police departments like to have search & recovery divers who are DMs or above. FYI, the directors of the 5 FBI dive teams in the US are all recreational scuba instructors.
12. Professional photographer or videographer shooting for publications, documentaries, TV etc. (Think Marty Snyderman or David Doubilet versus Rob Stewart).
13. Professional litigation consultant/witness for hire. (If you develop sterling credentials as a course director you can do very well -- one of my friends has made six figures so far this year representing insurance companies).

Again, this is just a start... It will be very interesting to see what divers working in each of these areas have to say about their careers... It will also be interesting to see the careers that get added to the list!

P

Last edited:
14. University Diving Safety Officer.

Pre BC has covered many options and so did Muddiver.

It goes much further than just this list. Basically, if there is water and someone has to be put in it to make a repair or do anything it is a dive position.

Watch Discovery Networks, they have a show called the Tuna Wranglers I believe. These guys have to get sharks out of tuna cages and repair nets when they tow tuna to be fattened up in ocean pins. Crazy.

There really are a few main areas of diving that communities are built around. There is a surprising lack of cross communication between them as well. Geeky white man sport tends to drive a bit of isolationist mentalities.

Recreational Diving: All things for fun and sport.

Public Safety Diving: All thing law enforcement and Fire/Rescue.

Scientific Diving: All things research related, either university, government, or private research.

Commercial Diving: Technically any job for pay while diving that does not fall into the above areas.

Technical Diving: I list this separately as it a huge grey area. Generally falls under the category of recreational diving, but the techniques and diving is finding its way into all of the areas.

Imagining Community: Does not matter what diving techniques they are using it is all about the images. So, they tend to do anything that is needed to get the shot.

All have careers and jobs in them. No matter what area, they are all jobs that require a generalist background and the wearing of many hats. There is no easy jobs in diving. But, if you learn business with the diving you can make a good living and a career out of it. For many it is joke as we have seen in this thread, but most of those that feel this way never took it upon themselves to step outside of the what will be given to me box to expand their ability to make a good living. Like so many thing in life, nothing comes to those that expect it without hard work.

It is not hard to be trained and learn what you need to be able to have a choice at working in the diving industry, what is hard is success in the diving business. This is not the fault of the industry or any group or area. It is the fault of each and every person that does not make choices and say no to what they feel is unfair or not enough compensation.

Anyway, if you love the water and you take the time to learn business along with your diving abilities, you can make a very good living at diving. It will not happen in a year as it could in the old days of IT startups or in banking, but look where they are at now.

Diving really comes down to a life of passion, if diving is a passion you can get paid to do what you love to do and share that love with others. If you are not passionate about it I would suggest you look elsewhere for your career. If you are passionate and take it seriously, you can do well and be paid.

Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom