Internships/ job opportunities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to ScubaBoard! There is actually a sub-forum here regarding jobs -- that would be a good starting point, though not super active:

And while people are diving all over the U.S, I'd guess a large portion of the U.S. diving jobs would be in Florida. One example is Keys Huka Dive (located near Venice, FL - not what most people think of when they hear "Keys" and Florida), who seem to often be hiring (not sure what that means) -- here's a link to one of their recent posts where they list their pay info.

There are a good number of programs in the Caribbean and Asia where you can kind of combine Divemaster and/or Instructor courses and an internship and actually kind of work off the cost of the course. Some include housing also.

I worked as an instructor-divemaster in nice holidays resorts. A nice life when young, but I ended it at 30, after just 5 years of "pro" activity. I think it is a good experience when very young, but incompatible with adult life.
And if you are concerned with marine life protection, be aware that students or holiday divers are really a bad thing for the environment.
Later in my life, I ended up doing some work as a scientific diver. This is much better: higher wage, safe working position as an academic, and true action towards protection of marine life.
But for reaching this status you better get a PhD in environmental engineering or marine biology and spend 15-20 years doing the academic career.
Only when reaching a stable position in a respected university or research center you will be able to conduct your own research program as PI (Principal Investigator), manage the money for research projects, and spend time doing what you like. You will be 50 at that time...
So there is no short-term solution. In the short term, you can just become a divemaster and work almost for free in a touristic diving site.

I'm not really worried about making alot of money, I just want to dive and help out with conservation efforts.
Then you have picked the right profession! Haha! Seriously though, your best shot at making any money at all is to become an instructor. You can do this anywhere for varying amounts of compensation. The industry doesn't pay a lot because there are a s**t ton of kids willing to do it for next to nothing before they go get "real" jobs. But if it's enough for you, go for it! Being a new diver you'll need to get a lot of diving experience in before you can even think about leading dives and instructing. Then, you'll take the appropriate courses, etc. WAY down the road, if you still love it, you could eventually become an instructor trainer, course director, or other manager type where you'll make more, but dive less. Usually that's okay, because dive jobs are physically demanding. Good luck!

A lot of funny replies hahahah
Welcome bro, if you make hobby become your job, you may not love it anymore.
Vacational dive and pro dive not same thing.

Back
Top Bottom