Suggested reads and other forms of teaching for the new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ganu76

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
In my short 2 years, I've already seen an OOA situation and it brought (most) everyone involved back into the Real World, real quick. Since then I've read a couple of books (Deep Descent and Diver Down) that recount diving accidents and also show the developing accident chain in the accidents. Those two things have gotten me thinking.

What would some of you guys recommend for the new guy who's wanting to better himself and his diving skills? Actual diving and skills practicing, of course, but I have a 9-5 landlocked job and 2 kids under tha age of 10. (Kinda hard to break away from Mrs. Cleaver and the kids.)

My oldest girl is 9 and *IF* she wants to dive, I've already decided that I'll have my rescue before I let her dive. I'll also make her wait until she's close to driving age. ( I don't care what the earliest age is, Dad says "no". :no: )

Rescue Diver is likely in my future, though I don't know much about the requirements or prerequisites.

I went through all that to show where my mindset is. I want to dive, get better at diving, and learn as much as I can about how to do it right. Also, I *DO* know that I'm as green as the day is long.

Any suggested books, classes, or other teaching aids that are aimed at showing how to do it right?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

A good "reference" for the diver looking to improve their skills is dive training magazine, they have some useful articles on buoyancy, weighting, etc. For most of the names in certification, the minimum age for diving is 12. Check your local dive shop for the prerequisites on rescue diver. My understanding is, and correct me if I am wrong, advanced diver with nitrox, deep dive, and navigation, or other specialty and "x" amount of dives. I don't know if it varies depending on which company you get certified with, SDI, NAUI, PADI, etc. These companies also have books that you can get on their web sites for different courses. Hope this helps.

Diver Down is an excellent book, and Dive Training Magazine is an excellent reference.

The most important thing is to keep learning. The more you learn, the safer you'll be.

I believe in learning from others mistakes, so that I don't replicate them. It's a sombre experience, but browsing the BSAC annual incident reports and annual DAN report expands my knowledge of dive safety.

For a greater understanding of deco theory (how NDLs are calculated and how these actually impact on your diving), then you cannot do better than Mark Powell's 'Deco for Divers'.

Youtube is an excellent resource for dive skills. You can search there to your heart's content - lots of skill demonstration videos.

For anything else, Google Search is your friend... there's a wealth of great information available on the internet, covering techniques, theories, skills and drills. If you want to make a good resource for your family, print out the best articles and collate them all into a folder. The end result will be more comprehensive and relevant than any single dive book available now.

Anything at nwgratefuldiver.com, but in particular his gas management article, which addresses a major hole in dive training, and will help keep you safe.

Other great websites: Deep-Sea Sherpa » How To ; DIR Theory

Look at YouTube and search for the 5thD-X videos; that will show you what you want to be able to DO in the water.

Deco for Divers is a fantastic book, which will expand your intellectual grasp of what you are doing. Other books I'd recommend are whatever species guides there are to the water where YOU will be diving . . . the richness of your underwater experience will increase steadily with your grasp of the ecosystem you are watching.

And don't discount this board. Find posters whose style and content you like, and research them. That's what I did when I found this place . . . I looked up every thread Uncle Pug, Diver0001 and Doc Intrepid had started, and read them all. Of course, in the last six years, I'd add some folks . . . Rick Murchison, ClayJar, and others. Look up posts by Duke Dive Medicine, and Gene Hobbs. Search for topics in which you have particular interest. There is a TON of information here.

Please PM me if there are any specific areas I can help you focus upon.

C.p.r

Check your local dive shop for the prerequisites on rescue diver. My understanding is, and correct me if I am wrong, advanced diver with nitrox, deep dive, and navigation, or other specialty and "x" amount of dives. I don't know if it varies depending on which company you get certified with, SDI, NAUI, PADI, etc. These companies also have books that you can get on their web sites for different courses. Hope this helps.

SSI does not require that you be an AOW diver before taking their Stress and Rescue class. I actually feel that this makes more sense. AOW seems to often be treated as a "foo-foo" certification.....it's treated as something that you do to get a card that lets you get on boats and make the more "advanced" dives, whether you're ready for them or not. I think that rescue classes generally tend to provide you with better skills than a lot of the AOW classes do. I'm not trying to start a war here.....I realize that different instructors teach the AOW classes in vastly different ways, and that some of them use the AOW classes as an oppurtunity to really improve their students skills.

I would strongly reccomend reading the DAN Scuba diving safety book. It's a good read and provides some decent information. Book

Hope this helps a little,

Kristopher

Kristopher

SSI does not require that you be an AOW diver before taking their Stress and Rescue class. I actually feel that this makes more sense. AOW seems to often be treated as a "foo-foo" certification.....it's treated as something that you do to get a card that lets you get on boats and make the more "advanced" dives, whether you're ready for them or not. I think that rescue classes generally tend to provide you with better skills than a lot of the AOW classes do. I'm not trying to start a war here.....I realize that different instructors teach the AOW classes in vastly different ways, and that some of them use the AOW classes as an oppurtunity to really improve their students skills.

I would strongly reccomend reading the DAN Scuba diving safety book. It's a good read and provides some decent information. Book

Hope this helps a little,

Kristopher

Kristopher

I was going on what my local dive shop requires, they are SDI instruction. I'm taking AOW classes to improve on my skills but I agree with you, I'm wanting to do a rescue class because it will provide a better opportunity for skill improvement. I've seen the publication that DAN puts out when you get insured with them, but I'll definitely check out that book. Thanks! :)

I honestly think you will enjoy our funny but information packed book "The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette." It's sarcastic, mostly true, but offers practical tips on things like reducing air consumption, buoyancy control, not kicking up the bottom, as well as other less critical but important issues they don't teach in class.
Available as a paperback or ebook on amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com, or link on our website, scubasnobs.com. In addition, "Dive Like a Pro" is a pretty good resource (but not as entertaining). Also on Amazon.
DivemasterDennis

This is a GREAT read. Something to print and save as well.

NWGratefulDiver.com

You will be amazed by how many people do not even talk about this.

Back
Top Bottom