Is Used Scuba Gear Safe to Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eastern Watersports

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A question I get asked regularly by new divers interested in saving a buck is - "Is used scuba gear safe to buy?"

The correct answer is both Yes and No. It really depends on a number of factors. These factors include what you're buying, who you're buying it from, the service history of the equipment, your personal knowledge of scuba equipment (which probably isn't much if you're a new diver,) which speaks to your ability to spot a problem and ultimately most important, who you're going to have check it out for you BEFORE you take it into the open water.

Basics like masks, fins, snorkels, boots, hoods, gloves and wetsuits are all perfectly fine to buy used as long as they fit you properly and you're comfortable in them. Weights and other accessories like knives, lights, SMB's, whistles, signaling mirrors etc... are also just fine. None of these things are life support equipment - although a few of these accessory items might just save your life. All of these things are easy enough for you to try out in a swimming pool long before you venture into the open water.

You should know and understand scuba tank basics before buying a used tank. Many tanks are not worth buying and this is one area I have often seen new divers get burned on. While virtually any tank out there could be bad news, there are some basic guidelines to follow when buying a used scuba tank. 1. Make sure the hydro test on the tank is at least current. 2. I also prefer that the visual test also be current - although this one is easy enough for unscrupulous sellers to fake simply by buying VIP decals on Ebay... so beware. 3. If it is an aluminum tank, I'd stay away from any that are more than 15 years old - regardless of how pretty they may look. 4. As a follow up to that last comment - DO NOT BUY any Luxfer, Coyne or Walter Kidde aluminum tanks made before 1990 (for those who know - I went with the rounded year of 1990.) Aside from the fact these tanks are already 24 years old, they were made with a faulty alloy known to explode. While they can be tested and receive a VE (visual eddy) stamp... many shops will refuse to fill them for you. 5. Stay away from tanks with generic VIP decals such as SDI, PADI and others. I'd only buy tanks with VIP decals from recognized dive shops with contact information on them. These shops will have a record of the tanks inspection / service and may even be able to provide you with note and details on the tanks history. 6. Look for signs of corrosion on the tank valve. If there is corrosion on the valve - it is safe to assume there may also be corrosion inside the tank. There is much more to know about buying used tanks - which is my point here. Perhaps it's better to only buy tanks from someone you trust.

The tank holds the air you need to survive underwater and the regulator delivers that air to you. Both are obviously vital. There are many used regulators on the market. These range from junk I wouldn't give to my worst enemy to like new regulators I'd use myself. In general, most all regulators are safe to buy on the secondary market if you follow one simple rule - plan to have it inspected / serviced by a certified regulator repair technician before you place your life in it's hands. I often here from someone that they picked up a great regulator set for $100.00 Perhaps they did... but I'm almost certain it hasn't been serviced if bought at that price. The price to properly service a 1st stage, 2nd stage and octo easily ranges from around $90 - $165 depending on the parts kits and labor rates where you live. People don't spend $90 - $165 on regs and then sell them for $100.00 Odds are that regulator hasn't been serviced in a long time. What seemed like a steal at $100 is likely to end up costing you nearly $300 by the time all is said and done. There are some brands I would urge you to stay away from as they are either obsolete or on their way to becoming obsolete. By obsolete - I mean parts are no longer available or will soon be no longer available. These include most Dacor, Healthways, US Diver and Seaquest regulators. Used regulators from top brands such as Scubapro, Apeks, Mares and Cressi are safe bets.

Used dive computers are a lot like used home computers with one exception. People throw used home computers out and think that used dive computers are gold. Most old dive computers are not worth buying. Many of these computers will peter out within 5 years of original purchase and support to secondary owners is non-existent. If there is any one piece of dive equipment I'd always buy new - it would be a dive computer. The warranty is important on these - even though it's usually only a one or two year warranty. That is honestly what they are expected to last these days - much like your home computer. This is the primary reason I advise not to buy a computer with a bunch of bells and whistles. Save your money and go as basic as possible.

In the end, buying used dive gear can save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars. There are many dive shops across the country that buy, sell and trade pre-owned dive gear. You will typically pay a little more than you might on Ebay and Craigslist - but you will often get a short limited warranty and support from a reputable dive shop that understands the value of providing quality pre-owned gear to their customers. If your local dive shop doesn't offer used gear sales, that should be a red flag. These shops typically gouge new divers who lack the knowledge needed to make smart purchases in this industry.

I encourage you to buy pre-owned gear - but to have it checked by someone you trust - someone who knows what they are looking at before you take it into open water. Save Money - Have Fun - Dive Safe!

Hey, Ken

Do you know of a place in Baltimore where someone could pick up some used gear if they were looking for some? Maybe checked out by an expert with a short warranty? Maybe you know of just the place?

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Well damn....maybe you can help me out here then...

I blew a ton of money on a Petrel computer. Can you take my Petrel and give me just a basic computer that I can use with my CCR? Since I blew all that money on an expensive computer, I think I should rectify the situation immediately!!!

A question I get asked regularly by new divers interested in saving a buck is - "Is used scuba gear safe to buy?"

The correct answer is both Yes and No. It really depends on a number of factors. These factors include what you're buying, who you're buying it from, the service history of the equipment, your personal knowledge of scuba equipment (which probably isn't much if you're a new diver,) which speaks to your ability to spot a problem and ultimately most important, who you're going to have check it out for you BEFORE you take it into the open water.

Basics like masks, fins, snorkels, boots, hoods, gloves and wetsuits are all perfectly fine to buy used as long as they fit you properly and you're comfortable in them. Weights and other accessories like knives, lights, SMB's, whistles, signaling mirrors etc... are also just fine. None of these things are life support equipment - although a few of these accessory items might just save your life. All of these things are easy enough for you to try out in a swimming pool long before you venture into the open water.

You should know and understand scuba tank basics before buying a used tank. Many tanks are not worth buying and this is one area I have often seen new divers get burned on. While virtually any tank out there could be bad news, there are some basic guidelines to follow when buying a used scuba tank. 1. Make sure the hydro test on the tank is at least current. 2. I also prefer that the visual test also be current - although this one is easy enough for unscrupulous sellers to fake simply by buying VIP decals on Ebay... so beware. 3. If it is an aluminum tank, I'd stay away from any that are more than 15 years old - regardless of how pretty they may look. 4. As a follow up to that last comment - DO NOT BUY any Luxfer, Coyne or Walter Kidde aluminum tanks made before 1990 (for those who know - I went with the rounded year of 1990.) Aside from the fact these tanks are already 24 years old, they were made with a faulty alloy known to explode. While they can be tested and receive a VE (visual eddy) stamp... many shops will refuse to fill them for you. 5. Stay away from tanks with generic VIP decals such as SDI, PADI and others. I'd only buy tanks with VIP decals from recognized dive shops with contact information on them. These shops will have a record of the tanks inspection / service and may even be able to provide you with note and details on the tanks history. 6. Look for signs of corrosion on the tank valve. If there is corrosion on the valve - it is safe to assume there may also be corrosion inside the tank. There is much more to know about buying used tanks - which is my point here. Perhaps it's better to only buy tanks from someone you trust.

The tank holds the air you need to survive underwater and the regulator delivers that air to you. Both are obviously vital. There are many used regulators on the market. These range from junk I wouldn't give to my worst enemy to like new regulators I'd use myself. In general, most all regulators are safe to buy on the secondary market if you follow one simple rule - plan to have it inspected / serviced by a certified regulator repair technician before you place your life in it's hands. I often here from someone that they picked up a great regulator set for $100.00 Perhaps they did... but I'm almost certain it hasn't been serviced if bought at that price. The price to properly service a 1st stage, 2nd stage and octo easily ranges from around $90 - $165 depending on the parts kits and labor rates where you live. People don't spend $90 - $165 on regs and then sell them for $100.00 Odds are that regulator hasn't been serviced in a long time. What seemed like a steal at $100 is likely to end up costing you nearly $300 by the time all is said and done. There are some brands I would urge you to stay away from as they are either obsolete or on their way to becoming obsolete. By obsolete - I mean parts are no longer available or will soon be no longer available. These include most Dacor, Healthways, US Diver and Seaquest regulators. Used regulators from top brands such as Scubapro, Apeks, Mares and Cressi are safe bets.

Used dive computers are a lot like used home computers with one exception. People throw used home computers out and think that used dive computers are gold. Most old dive computers are not worth buying. Many of these computers will peter out within 5 years of original purchase and support to secondary owners is non-existent. If there is any one piece of dive equipment I'd always buy new - it would be a dive computer. The warranty is important on these - even though it's usually only a one or two year warranty. That is honestly what they are expected to last these days - much like your home computer. This is the primary reason I advise not to buy a computer with a bunch of bells and whistles. Save your money and go as basic as possible.

In the end, buying used dive gear can save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars. There are many dive shops across the country that buy, sell and trade pre-owned dive gear. You will typically pay a little more than you might on Ebay and Craigslist - but you will often get a short limited warranty and support from a reputable dive shop that understands the value of providing quality pre-owned gear to their customers. If your local dive shop doesn't offer used gear sales, that should be a red flag. These shops typically gouge new divers who lack the knowledge needed to make smart purchases in this industry.

I encourage you to buy pre-owned gear - but to have it checked by someone you trust - someone who knows what they are looking at before you take it into open water. Save Money - Have Fun - Dive Safe!

Us divers and aqualung are one abd the same. Virtually every us divers single hose are repairable with current kits includinng some doublehose

Mares and Cressi are "top regulator brands"? Tell me more.

:popcorn:

blah, blah, blah

I can't figure out if you are offering advice or just trying to drum up business for yourself.

you were fine until the comment about us divers not having parts avaiilable soon..... you obviously know nothing about usdivers/aqualung...
up until this year the internals of the conshelf's, titan, etc.... were the same...

these are probably the easiest to get parts for and there will continue to be parts available for a very long time.

Since I have seen several classifieds from you seeking to buy used equipment recently I have to wonder if you are trying to drive your acquisition price down or your selling price up. Any thoughts?
RichH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom