Best Clam Bellies after a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
There is nothing quite as satisfying as a meal of clam bellies and favorite beverage.

My choice for the best clam bellies in the Cape Ann area are:

Ipswich Clam Box (#1) - heavenly!

Woodman's - make sure teens aren't making your meal + found some shells in my last meal there...very crunchy not in a good way.

Essex Seafood - same as above and rapidly losing clientele
others...?

Amelia's?

X

Clam Bellies = Starburst with salt water & goo. Hope your having clamcakes and beer with those.

Down here in RI the thing is clamcakes rather than clam bellies. I am not even sure if you can get clamcakes outside of RI.

Best choice is Aunt Carrie's in Point Judith (sadly already closed for the season)

Runners up are:
Iggy's in Point Judith and Oakland Beach
Champlin's in Point Judith
or Monahan's at Narragansett Pier

Least Favorite:
George's in Point Judith

Clam Bellies = Starburst with salt water & goo. Hope your having clamcakes and beer with those.

LOL! Clamcakes and clamstrips. What are those? Sadly, folks who never get to the Cape(s) can never bask in the resplendent after taste of steamer clam sea goo! :D

I know Maine has got some great clam belly spots. Gotta get up there!

X

Good bellies at the Causeway Diner across from the marina in Gloucester too. Just make sure you bring an appetite... their portions would feed three.

Good bellies at the Causeway Diner across from the marina in Gloucester too. Just make sure you bring an appetite... their portions would feed three.

In the interest of diving and clam bellies post-dive snacks/dinners I will post a rating of the best bellies @ the Cape Ann/Gloucester/Ispswich/Essex area shortly. Of course, the list is purely subjective as I'm the only one rating. The wife rates Clam Chowdah'.

As suggested I did try the bellies at the Causeway. They're pretty good and the portions are large. What was most surprising was the fried shrimp! Bursting with flavor.

X

in south essex, was visited by Guy Fieri on Diners Drive-ins and dives. I've never been there, but it looked really good. I wonder how it compares to the clam box, which I would have liked to see on the show.

in south essex, was visited by Guy Fieri on Diners Drive-ins and dives. I've never been there, but it looked really good. I wonder how it compares to the clam box, which I would have liked to see on the show.

JT Farham's in Essex is pretty darn good. It has the lines to prove it. I would say that it's top-notch. However, Ispwish Clam Box in Ispwich rules the day. They have "big belly clams" which ooze out belly flavor at the first bite. The fried scallops there are also top notch. The fried shrimp and Clam Chowdah weren't the best from the perspective of taste. The Clam Chowder at Farham's is a tad watery, but chock full of seafood like nobody's business. As Chowdah's go - Essex Seafood was top-notch until they had some teenagers start cooking there two years ago. Then the lines tapered out.

BTW - A seafood hint. If see teenagers cooking your food...you know you are not getting a professional chef working the batter, or friers.

X

It'll sound like blasphemy to some folks, but the Hingham Lobster Pound has WAY better fried seafood than anything I've tasted anywhere on the north shore... the Clam Box included. It's so good that, despite having no seating and being located on a busy turn on 3A with limited parking, the place is usually packed during operating hours. I could go on and on with my raving about the place, but half of you wouldn't believe it, and the other half would just make the lines longer. Go in next time you're in the neighborhood, and eat at one of the beach-side picnic tables on Hingham Harbor. You will be spoiled. I promise.

Suffice it to say I've only ever had fried seafood that was in the same league at one other place, and it's a long way to the Maunganui Fish and Chips shop on the north island of New Zealand. Since they serve scallops with the roe attached, and I find that weird, I still give the Pound higher marks.

It's been a while since I've been here but try the Cupboard Restaurant at Stage Fort Park in Gloucester. To me they have the best clams I've ever had. One other nice perk is that you can order a meal and not have to pay for parking in the park. Then when the order comes out, go across the street and sit on the beach wall and watch the waves come in. Yummm! Now I'm itchin' to go back there. Who started this post anyway? There's also diving at the beach... but I would only recommend it for beginners looking to get some experience at an easy beach.

dd

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom