Beware of Silva Fox lobster boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm posting this for others to serve as a warning. A diver on the New England Scuba Divers group on Facebook posted about having a bad encounter with this boat, Silva Fox. This is not the first time this guy has caused problems. The boat in question is registered to a Manuel P Silva III of Rockport, MA.

Again this is all second hand knowledge, I didn't witness it personally but just wanted to post it.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-england/345148-lanes-cove-7-24-2010-a-2.html

Exact words from diver:
"An angry lobster man at Hoop Pole Cove on Sunday said his traps are being raided and doors left open. Told us to "spread the word" or he "will take it out on all of us."

Typical Rockport lobster / fisherman, same as it was 30 years ago when I started diving there. I treat them all like they're Manuel P Silva III.

The rest of the residents of Rockport aren't much better IMO. I can count the number of pleasant encounters with them on one hand. I try to avoid them whenever I go there. I make sure I don't spend one dime in Rockport. They don't like divers well back at ya.

Limpet mines can be quite helpful in situations like this.

Truth of the matter is that his traps probably are being raided. This is his livelihood and he is justifiabliy angry. That doesn't mean he should resort to violence or drop hand grenades on divers, much like a limpet mine, it to would solve his problem. If the local divers would help identify the thief it would go a long way to making peace. My 2 cents.

Reactions: Tug
Truth of the matter is that his traps probably are being raided. This is his livelihood and he is justifiabliy angry. That doesn't mean he should resort to violence or drop hand grenades on divers, much like a limpet mine, it to would solve his problem. If the local divers would help identify the thief it would go a long way to making peace. My 2 cents.

+1

I think it all goes back to the fact that a few bad apples on both sides ruin it for everyone....

As for visiting Rockport, don't drive that far and visit Gloucester instead... We have our share of crazies as well but at least you can grab a fresh beer from Cape Ann Brewing and some wings post diving :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limpet mines can be quite helpful in situations like this.

There aren't any personal problems that can't be solved with the right amount and proper application of high explosives. Richard Marcinko

---------- Post added August 15th, 2013 at 11:52 AM ----------

Truth and probably shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Unless its probably the truth. The truth is you don't know. These people are totally unreasonable. I wouldn't help any of them for any reason. They created this hostility and have been continuing it since I was a young diver back in 1980's. I've been accused of raiding traps and threaten for it before I was even wet! If ever there were a bigger collection of A-holes in one town I've yet to meet them.

I remember the days when lobstermen put razor blades in between the twists of the rope going from the buoy to the trap, if somebody tried to haul the pot up bare handed they were cut. Or blasting caps with tripwires on the doors.

Last edited:

And commercial lobstermen would never raid another's traps and are always ethical. Well, time to ride my unicorn to the space station.

Seriously - what evidence do you have to make this claim? Anyone dropping cinder blocks on divers, driving a moving propeller near them indicates a person out of control. And as Afterdark has mentioned - just being wet means "I must be stealing lobsters. " What I hope doesn't occur is that this person gravely injures a innocent diver.

As long as I've been around this area I seriously doubt divers would spend the energy, time and danger raiding someone's trap. Lobster is inexpensive enough that doing something this egregious just doesn't make sense.

X

Typical Rockport lobster / fisherman, same as it was 30 years ago when I started diving there. I treat them all like they're Manuel P Silva III.

The rest of the residents of Rockport aren't much better IMO. I can count the number of pleasant encounters with them on one hand. I try to avoid them whenever I go there. I make sure I don't spend one dime in Rockport. They don't like divers well back at ya.

I've actually had very pleasant interactions with most Rockport residents I've run into. I make sure to say hello and chat if they want to, keep my crap as together as possible (not spilling across the sidewalk/taking up tons of extra space) and complement them on their dogs. I've seen plenty of divers/groups of divers seeming clueless of their proximity to residences--blowing off dust caps with their tanks, yelling to each other, leaving trash, changing in full view of passerby on the sidewalk, spreading their stuff out all over the place,and just generally being inconsiderate of the fact that they are in someone's neighborhood. I understand why there are residents who don't like having divers there. I figure it may or may not make a difference overall, but being pleasant and considerate just may change someone's mind about "all" divers, so why not at least make an effort?

People who live(d) in Gloucester, however....:wink: (Hi, Lewis!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom