GUE Fundamentals Class Report - Feb 18-23, 2013 - High Springs, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats cyprian, great writeup on the fundies class. Man did that bring back some memories. We all have been there and know what it took and takes to pass fundies rec or Tech pass. I had spent so much time doing drills and skills for my Tech pass re check dive that when I finally did my re check and got the pass. I felt odd just doing fun dives for awhile post recheck. All dives incorporate some skills and drills at some point during the dive. As you stated, practice your skills in your hobby/ job. Anyway good job. If you or anyone here make to So Cal we have a very large group of GUE divers in LA and San Diego (LAUE and SDUE) come dive with us :)

Cheers

I think Cyprian makes a good analogy to golf. Driving ranges all over the country are filled with people practicing so that they have more fun playing golf.

Something to think about Re: doing drills while stationary.
when doing valve drills a nice tool is to have a depth gauge on your Left arm (in addition to your right). I use a scubapro meridian as my secondary bottom timer (or watch, timer, etc) set to gauge mode.
This way when you are doing a drill you always have a depth gauge handy (even when your right is doing valves, although you will need to signal at the same time) But doing the signal slow with a rhythm and your light out in front gives you the option to check depth. I will sometimes use the temp hold in my left when doing drills as well.
If your right handed you tend to do both the right post and the center valve with your right hand.

Its just an option, and one that you quickly won't need after you get your breathing into a cycle as well. Breaths are just Normal at the surface breaths, not the deep breathing that some agencies endorse. In a drysuit at 6', that's going to surface you :)

You can "feel" depth changes in your ears once you become accustom to it as well (small changes). Either way do it slow and it will go Fast. :)

rlynch, I just want to make one comment about having a backup gauge on the left. Your best backup depth gauge is in front of you. Your buddy, who should be close by and intently observing your drill (because we will ALL shut off all our gas at some point, practicing this stuff), is not task loaded and should be able to maintain depth absolutely. THAT's your backup depth gauge, or maybe even your primary. If you can't see your buddy, either he's not in the right place, or you are allowing your head to drop during the drill. If you actually had a serious leak, wouldn't one of your first imperatives be to confirm the positions of your teammates, and make sure they were in place to help you?

I can do a valve drill spot on on buoyancy and trim and position. David Rhea took me to task over and over and over for dropping my head, and those were his reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom