GUE Fundamentals Class Report - Feb 18-23, 2013 - High Springs, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great summary of the class. It sounds like Fundamentals went about the same for me as it did for you. I took Fundamentals last September with the goal of going straight to the tec rating, and got a provisional tec pass. I practiced a lot over the winter and converted my provisional tec into tec last week.

I think going for a rec pass is a good option for many, but I think (probably as you did) that if you plan on moving on to tec or cave, then going for a rec pass (or provisional tec) in tec gear is the way to go. I learned a lot in my class in September, and that made my practicing over the winter much more efficient.

Thanks. :)

We were told that there is no tec provisional as I asked specifically about that. There is only provisional, rec pass and tec pass. That said, we were also told what we needed to work on to get a tec pass....so I consider our rec pass similar to what you are calling a tec provisional. LOL, what a mouthful, huh?

And congrats on the tec pass!

Thanks. :)

We were told that there is no tec provisional as I asked specifically about that. There is only provisional, rec pass and tec pass. That said, we were also told what we needed to work on to get a tec pass....so I consider our rec pass similar to what you are calling a tec provisional. LOL, what a mouthful, huh?

And congrats on the tec pass!

hmmm, I was given the option of a rec pass or provisional tec, and I chose the provisional tec. In reality, they are the same thing, except I would have gotten a card for the rec pass :)

do you have plans for the tec upgrade?

Immediately after Fundies in September, I started putting in the effort to be ready by February. I don't know what things you were given to work on for the tec endorsement, for me it was trim (especially when task loaded) and backwards kick (sometimes I went backwards, sometimes nowhere). I then put about 20 hours in the pool over the winter getting my trim down, and swimming laps backwards. What helped the most was that my technique for both was corrected in September, and I just had to practice it.

When I returned a week ago for the tec upgrade, I was thrown (what I think) to be a bit of a curve ball in that on one ascent from a 12' depth, Fred asked me to do 30 second deco stops every 1', and I thought, well, I'll give it a try, but I don't see it going well, but I surprised myself and was able to do it quite well other than blowing off the last two stops because my feet were on the surface.

As I said before, I like the way it worked out for me. If I was a little bit better in September and got my tec pass on the first try, I probably wouldn't have put as much practice in as I did over the winter, and I think I am a better diver for it. Furthermore, since I was humbled by my first try at Fundamentals, I will be putting in more practice before going on to cave 1 in the fall.

hmmm, I was given the option of a rec pass or provisional tec, and I chose the provisional tec. In reality, they are the same thing, except I would have gotten a card for the rec pass :)

do you have plans for the tec upgrade?

Immediately after Fundies in September, I started putting in the effort to be ready by February. I don't know what things you were given to work on for the tec endorsement, for me it was trim (especially when task loaded) and backwards kick (sometimes I went backwards, sometimes nowhere). I then put about 20 hours in the pool over the winter getting my trim down, and swimming laps backwards. What helped the most was that my technique for both was corrected in September, and I just had to practice it.

When I returned a week ago for the tec upgrade, I was thrown (what I think) to be a bit of a curve ball in that on one ascent from a 12' depth, Fred asked me to do 30 second deco stops every 1', and I thought, well, I'll give it a try, but I don't see it going well, but I surprised myself and was able to do it quite well other than blowing off the last two stops because my feet were on the surface.

As I said before, I like the way it worked out for me. If I was a little bit better in September and got my tec pass on the first try, I probably wouldn't have put as much practice in as I did over the winter, and I think I am a better diver for it. Furthermore, since I was humbled by my first try at Fundamentals, I will be putting in more practice before going on to cave 1 in the fall.

Yes we have plans to return for a tec pass and Doug has already kicked the doors open and rolled out the welcome mat for us to return. Did I mention that he's a awesome instructor? :wink:

What primarily did us in was the buoyancy control on the S-Drills in the open water. We could all backward kick, trim was within 20 degrees during all drills, stability was certainly refined by the final days and the valve drills went well, ascents and descents went well, but we missed the 3' (1 1/2' up, 1 1/2' down) buoyancy window on the S-drills. We hit the 5' window so rec pass it was.

(Side note for divers unfamiliar with the training: I threw the 1 1/2' up and 1 1/2' down in there for reference to the 3' total window. Some still think that a 3' buoyancy window is 3 up or 3 down. No. For example, if you start a S-Drill at 10 ffw, turn and start swimming together and drop to 12', you blew the 3' window.)

Now, don't get me wrong....we all were given things to work on and improve, but I know that will happen with every class I take! LOL. But the buoyancy control on the S-drill was the main thing that we could not nail.

As far as back kicks, I think it is worth mentioning again......Doug made sure we were back kicking. We had to do valve drills facing each other in a triangle formation on an ascent line. There was no floating into the line and no buddy bumping (or paddy caking as Doug called it). That was actually the hardest part the first day on the line (Day 4), and now my favorite part of the class. It made us "sit" still. It made us back kick as needed, but we all learned to be still in the water as we worked the valve drill, and all along we were actually learning to be more efficient with our back kick.

So, yeah, S-drills in open water are now our primary focus. Check depth, start the drill, check depth......check depth throughout the drill......turn whichever way the team plans to swim....check depth.....swim.....check depth....cut the drill....check depth. I'm developing a common theme here.....:)

The nice thing is...all throughout the class Doug was saying, "I'm showing you this now to prepare you for future training, etc." So he knows our goals, and believes we can achieve them....now it's up to us to do it.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2013 at 04:48 PM ----------

I wanted to drop back in and say I like this statement and agree completely. At first, I wasn't happy with myself for missing the tec pass, but now it has given me specific things to focus on when practicing and makes me want to dive even more. I am happy with my rec pass and realize that it is certainly an accomplishment in itself. My ego just wouldn't listen to common sense for a few days after class....lol. So practice time it is!

Yes we have plans to return for a tec pass and Doug has already kicked the doors open and rolled out the welcome mat for us to return. Did I mention that he's a awesome instructor? :wink:

What primarily did us in was the buoyancy control on the S-Drills in the open water. We could all backward kick, trim was within 20 degrees during all drills, stability was certainly refined by the final days and the valve drills went well, ascents and descents went well, but we missed the 3' (1 1/2' up, 1 1/2' down) buoyancy window on the S-drills. We hit the 5' window so rec pass it was.

(Side note for divers unfamiliar with the training: I threw the 1 1/2' up and 1 1/2' down in there for reference to the 3' total window. Some still think that a 3' buoyancy window is 3 up or 3 down. No. For example, if you start a S-Drill at 10 ffw, turn and start swimming together and drop to 12', you blew the 3' window.)

Now, don't get me wrong....we all were given things to work on and improve, but I know that will happen with every class I take! LOL. But the buoyancy control on the S-drill was the main thing that we could not nail.

As far as back kicks, I think it is worth mentioning again......Doug made sure we were back kicking. We had to do valve drills facing each other in a triangle formation on an ascent line. There was no floating into the line and no buddy bumping (or paddy caking as Doug called it). That was actually the hardest part the first day on the line (Day 4), and now my favorite part of the class. It made us "sit" still. It made us back kick as needed, but we all learned to be still in the water as we worked the valve drill, and all along we were actually learning to be more efficient with our back kick.

So, yeah, S-drills in open water are now our primary focus. Check depth, start the drill, check depth......check depth throughout the drill......turn whichever way the team plans to swim....check depth.....swim.....check depth....cut the drill....check depth. I'm developing a common theme here.....:)

The nice thing is...all throughout the class Doug was saying, "I'm showing you this now to prepare you for future training, etc." So he knows our goals, and believes we can achieve them....now it's up to us to do it.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2013 at 04:48 PM ----------

I wanted to drop back in and say I like this statement and agree completely. At first, I wasn't happy with myself for missing the tec pass, but now it has given me specific things to focus on when practicing and makes me want to dive even more. I am happy with my rec pass and realize that it is certainly an accomplishment in itself. My ego just wouldn't listen to common sense for a few days after class....lol. So practice time it is!

Wow did the first part of this post bring back some memories! I remember that <take whatever action>, check depth, <take next action>, check depth... mantra! For me, it was as much (or more) about slowing down as it was about checking my depth! Anyway, I am glad to see that you have really internalized your accomplishment! :) HOpe to see you in high springs soon!

funny, you had problems with vertical movement, while for me it was horizontal. Back in September, staying in trim took some erratic finning, so when doing drills, I tended to move around quite a bit.

Wow did the first part of this post bring back some memories! I remember that <take whatever action>, check depth, <take next action>, check depth... mantra! For me, it was as much (or more) about slowing down as it was about checking my depth! Anyway, I am glad to see that you have really internalized your accomplishment! :) HOpe to see you in high springs soon!

Thanks.

"I'll be back." :D Hopefully, I'll be back in the High Springs area sometime this summer. If our schedules happen to coincide, by all means come over and say "hi".

---------- Post added March 14th, 2013 at 12:11 PM ----------

funny, you had problems with vertical movement, while for me it was horizontal. Back in September, staying in trim took some erratic finning, so when doing drills, I tended to move around quite a bit.

Yeap, it was a breath control issue. Every team member could "sit" still and do the basic 5 and valve drills, but when we got to the S-drill, one of was would either take too deep of a breath when going for the reg swap or exhale too much.

Now, when Joe did the drill with Doug...that was awesome, but Doug is, of course, what we call a strong diver.

Let me try to explain. What we have found out through working with our mentor (Jason Wright) that if you have a strong diver that can hold position on one side of the drill, then it is easy to stay in position. I've done quite a few S-drills with Jason and I know we held position well. I've also seem my teammates do the S-drill with Jason and their buoyancy as a team was spot on.

The problem, of course, is while working as a team you need both to be strong divers or one is going to start to rely on the other every time and that can become a crutch.

That's something else I really like about the class. GUE is fully a team diving system, as everyone knows, but each diver is still taught to be self-reliant from a certain standpoint. How are you going to help your buddy if you cannot help yourself, right? Case in point, the S-drills that we did. No one held position or provided a depth reference for the other teammate.

But......we know how to fix it! :D

You did, but it's worthy of mentioning again :wink: !!!

One of the biggest challenges in diving is trying to stay perfectly stable when your teammates are not. It's EASY to do well if even ONE person can nail the depth window, but if you have anybody who's really unstable, or if there is no "rock" in the group, it gets much more interesting. One of my first training dives involved trying to do S-drills in shallow water with a guy with over 300 dives -- He was so unused to try to cope with a yo-yoing novice that he ended up flipping over BACKWARDS! (He was SO mad at me . . . )

The other thing I'll throw out here, from my own recent experience, is that if you don't practice these things WITH these standards, you'll lose them. I spent two nights in the pool this week doing drills. My valve drills are fine, because I've done a reasonable number of them, but I was not keeping the S-drills within the 1.5 foot up and down (of course, I don't have a depth gauge in the pool, either :) ), and my bottle swaps were something less than elegant.

The other thing I'll throw out here, from my own recent experience, is that if you don't practice these things WITH these standards, you'll lose them. I spent two nights in the pool this week doing drills. My valve drills are fine, because I've done a reasonable number of them, but I was not keeping the S-drills within the 1.5 foot up and down (of course, I don't have a depth gauge in the pool, either :) ), and my bottle swaps were something less than elegant.

I can definitely see this happening, Lynne....especially with such a small operating window.

That goes with any sport/hobby though. Back in my golf days I was a pretty decent player, but could always tell when I took even a couple of weeks off....the same goes with long distance rifle shooting. If I take a few months off, I can still shoot pretty well, but I lose that certain edge and my groups open up. Again, practice goes with any hobby/sport/job.

However, this always gives us something to practice, though, right? I like that. Practice keeps us sane in some of the diving spots around here when we get tired of looking at silty lake bottoms in limited vis. :wink:

That's what I say about winter diving in the Sound. The viz is great, but there's very little in it to see -- time to do skills dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom