Boat seat belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbj7

Dive Shop Owner
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I don't know where to put this, as it is indirectly related to diving. After a boat collision here some months back when one person was killed and others were seriously injured, I suggested locally that as it seemed that all injuries and the fatality had been caused by people being thrown against parts of the boat, a useful safety measure would be to fit seat belts to prevent people being thrown around. My family bought a boat years ago that had seat belts fitted, so it does happen.

All I got for my pains was derision and mirth. Showing to my mind a complete lack of understanding. What do people here think of the idea of seat belts being fitted to high speed passenger boats? I'm not thinking of dive boats, more the high speed inter-island ferries we have here and which are commonplace around the world.

The current approach on airlines from most industrialized countries might have some applicability: When the seat belt sign is off, you can move around the cabin, but if you're sitting down, fasten your seat belt.

I'm of the mind set that anyone that wishes to wear a seatbelt in their own private car / boat.....should be able to, anyone that doesn't want to wear a seat should not be forced to. I am concerned about being restrained in a car and be unable to get out in case of a fire for example. I like the idea of being restrained in an overturned boat even less. I resent being forced to wear a seatbelt and rarely do. I do have a length of seatbelt webbing that I place across my torso when driving so to the seatbelt Nazi's it looks like I'm wearing one. The next statement is not directed to OP but to people in general.

Make someone's day, mind your own business.

People look at me funny because I'm the odd one who wears a flotation device on a moving boat. As rare as that safety procedure is, belts seem impossible to push.

Last edited:
I'm of the mind set that anyone that wishes to wear a seatbelt in their own private car / boat.....should be able to, anyone that doesn't want to wear a seat should not be forced to. I am concerned about being restrained in a car and be unable to get out in case of a fire for example. I like the idea of being restrained in an overturned boat even less. I resent being forced to wear a seatbelt and rarely do

I didn't suggest that people should be compelled to use seat belts, but that the operator should be compelled to provide them. When I'm sitting on a bench seat in a cabin perhaps 40ft long in a boat travelling at night at 40mph, I am acutely aware of what would happen to me and everyone else if the boat suddenly stopped (by hitting something). In the incident I referred to, which was not untypical, it appeared that all the injuries, very severe in a number of cases and fatal in one, were caused by unrestrained people being thrown against hard surfaces in the boat. Just as would happen in a car, but with a far greater distance for their bodies to accelerate before impact.

Modern seatbelts are very easy and quick to open. The risk of being trapped in a sinking boat by the belt is remote. The risk of being trapped anyway because you can't find the exit is far greater, and especially if you have been injured by being thrown against something.

In the UK seat belt wearing is mandatory and rigidly enforced. The statistics show that it saves lives and prevents many serious injuries. There have been cases where someone in the front seat of a car was killed by being hit during a crash by an unrestrained person in the back, and in fact an official film was shown simulating this. The evidence is so overwhelming that courts will now routinely award massive damages against the rear seat passenger - posthumously in most cases.

If a car crash has been severe enough to cause a modern car to catch fire, it is probable that anyone not wearing a belt would already have been seriously injured and would be unable to get out anyway. Again, the statistics show that it is extremely rare for someone otherwise able to get out who doesn't because they can't release their belt. People "thrown clear" are generally injured far more severely than those who were restrained in the car.

I presume you're also opposed to the fitment of air bags? For years now their fitment has been mandatory on the manufacturers, and in Europe at any rate (I don't know about the US) it is either impossible to disable them or a criminal offence to try to do so. Yet air bags have been known to cause injuries, especially to small people. It's just that they have prevented way more injuries than they have caused.

If seat belts were fitted to boats then just as in cars I would expect people to use them, and after an acclimatisation period for that use to become mandatory in at least some countries. If I were so restrained and I were hit and injured by you, having chosen not to restrain yourself, I would without any question sue you, or maybe my estate would sue yours, as having been directly responsible for my injuries. That's regardless of any criminal prosecution. You should think less about "me" and more about others.

I don't use the seat belts in my truck, why would I want to use them in my boat?

I dont think its a good idea in a boat. If the boat capsizes its a huge drowning possibility if you are knocked unconscious. Same applies if the boat sinks and you are knocked unconscious.

If the boat capsizes and you have been knocked unconscious then you're not going to get out anyway. But you're far more likely to have been knocked unconscious if you are not wearing a belt. Other that the specious issue of "civil liberty" I can't think of any real-world reason for not wearing one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom