Marine Biology - Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all-

A colleagues daughter is currently searching for a University. She's very interested in science & marine biology, and is wondering where some of the leading places are for education. She's not a diver, and actually interested (at this time) in some of the larger marine mammals (yep, kind of the "I'd love to learn how to train Flipper" kind of gal).

Suggestions for me to pass on?

Jim

I'd say the big three are

Scripps in San diego
Woods Hole Massachusetts
RSMAS Univ of Miami

It's a very competitive field with an over supply of graduates. Graduate study is almost mandatory. I wish her luck.

There is the Bamfield Marine Station which is affiliated with several Canadian universities on the west coast.

You didn't mention whether she was looking for an undergraduate or graduate school. I think the ones listed so far wouldf be more oriented towards graduate level work. She might consider the University of California campuses at Santa Cruz (strong marine mammal background), Santa Barbara or San Diego although given the financial crisis in our state these could be very expensive for out-of-state students.

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
You didn't mention whether she was looking for an undergraduate or graduate school. I think the ones listed so far wouldf be more oriented towards graduate level work.

Thank you for catching that. She's looking for an undergraduate school.

Jim

I think Texas A&M in corpus christi has a marine biology program. I seem to remember them sending me info when that was my interest.

Well, Don't forget about Coastal Carolina U. Also, I didn't realize Texax A & M had a program...I'm sure that the Texas A & M program is top notch.

She may also want to check out the College of William and Mary and their Virginia Institute of Marine science. I spent a week at their eastern shore lab while I was taking a marine science class last fall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom