Monterey kayak buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Todd128

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been looking into getting a kayak. There are a few dive sites I'd like to explore--and I'd rather not kick all the way out and back. Any local kayak divers out there? Todd

I am from Sacramento, but I visit Monterey. I'd like to get into more kayak diving as well. Eric's Pinnacle is calling me. :)

I was just talking with an instructor about Kayak Diving. :) I would be very interested, but we both felt the main problem is finding buddies with kayaks to go kayak diving. Renting would get expensive after a while and can only take the kayaks so far when you're renting them. I have never been on a kayak and I plan on taking a kayak class one weekend at Monterey Bay Kayaks, so I expose myself to the basics. I'd be more than willing to go kayak diving after that class. The class is normally a one day course on the first and third Sundays of the month.

the only problem I ever have is getting the weight of the gear and myself (shy of 300lbs) situated. Once it's set up right, it's smooth, but I've dumped it a couple times. I need to build outriggers to help stabilize it a bit. Still saves on a surface swim, so I don't mind the tipping in the shallows. :wink:

bolantej:
the only problem I ever have is getting the weight of the gear and myself (shy of 300lbs) situated. Once it's set up right, it's smooth, but I've dumped it a couple times.

Bingo...I've been concerned about this problem. What type of kayak have you been using? The kayaks I've looked at don't seem to take much weight, especially the inflatable types. I'm 220. Also, I have the negative Faber 100 tanks, which are heavy. I'm concerned that this tank type would add excessive weight.

Another issue: I have a back-entry dry suit. I'm concerned about overheating, or getting dumped if I paddle out with the neck open, etc. Wetsuit required?

Kayak class? Sounds like a good idea. I have only read the article on kayak diving in last month's Dive Training magazine, which got me interested. I thought the article was informative, but probably left out all of the little tips and tricks that make the difference between a fun dive and a miserable dive...(!)

Anyone interested in checking this out, or diving with a kayak newbie, pm me. I'd be happy to meet up. I'm in San Carlos, but get down to Monterey weekly. Todd

I use a regular width kayak with no problems. You can look into a wider kayak like the Cobra Fish N Dive or a Hobie Outback. I have two kayaks and both are easy to get on and off, even though they are not super wide. The tank weight does not matter much as an aluminum tank requires more lead, so they balance out. Inflatables are worthless, do not even bother thinking about one.

In a drysuit you want to keep everything zipped up and ready to go. I even put my dry gloves on, but leave my hood off. Occasionally jump in the water and submerse your head if you are getting too warm.

The kayak must be set up for diving, with proper straps and it is easy to make some leashes for your gear. Search this board, let alone the similar threads listed below for more info. http://kayakdiver.com/kayakdiving/topics.htm Even with the little info available on kayak diving, there is really not much you need to know. Simple skills like getting on and off the kayak, anchoring, putting your gear on in the water, are all pretty easy. Beyond that it is going to be about safety and not going above your skill level. Start somewhere like the Breakwater and head out towards the aquarium until you find a spot to dive.

Rarely do we dive Monterey, but I am hoping to start spending more time down there. Feel free to bring your kayak up to the North Coast and dive with us :14:
Hobie.jpg

Peter_C:
I use a regular width kayak with no problems. You can look into a wider kayak like the Cobra Fish N Dive or a Hobie Outback

What's the width difference for "regular" versus "wide" kayaks?

Thanks for the dips on the dry suit and the inflatables. Todd

Stability vs speed. The wider you go the slower you go, yet the more stable the kayak becomes. The longer kayaks are generally faster but do not turn as fast. Something around the 13.5 ft length is about right for a dive platform. My second kayak is a Scupper Pro, but they no longer manufacturer them. The orange one pictured above is a Hobie Revolution, that I am super happy with.
This kayak is popular for diving http://www.rei.com/product/750651
Here is a wider version http://www.rei.com/product/750654
Compare the specs to see the differences.

If you have other questions, ask and I will do my best to get them answered.

Todd,
I was looking at Adventure Sports Unlimited in Santa Cruz and they had a class on Kayak diving if you were interested. I don't think any of the shops in Monterey hold a class, but I'm sure they would work something out with you if you asked. I might bring it up with Bruce at Aquarius on Del Monte. ASU though will hold a class for at least 2 people, but you have to have an AOW cert. I thought it would be better having someone show me what to do than just reading about it in a book.

http://www.asudoit.com/diving/scuba_kayak/scuba_kayak.html

I'm also a big :dork2: and bought that guy's book at kayakdiving.com. He seemed pretty knowledgeable on his website. :) Should be here in a day or so. I'll let you know if it was worth it or not.

Well, when I suit up in my drysuit I just get under the shower at the breakwater for a few seconds to cool off, and I do fine. I dive the Ocean Kayak Scrambler XL, and it does fine for regular paddling. I think I exceed the weight limit by about 50-60 pounds, so I get tipped sometimes. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom