Lost Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alibi 2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I know its a long shot but thought Id ask..

Last Sunday April 25th We were doing a beginning dive class check out at Breakwater. Our dive float was anchored on the bottom off the wall out at about the gates.

We were at the bottom under our float when the theft occurred...yes it was a theft and not a Lost gear situation.

When we surfaced a diver nearby asked if that was our float and we said it was..he told us that while we were down below an otter got into the float and rummaged around. He emerged with two of our dive weights in his mouth (we were carrying 4 extra 2lb weights inside the float) He took off with the two weights...unfortunatly he also popped the float...so i guess besides being a thief he is a vandal!

We went down and looked all around the area but couldnt locate our weights, and vis sucked.

I thought i would post it here encase someone finds the weights while diving. They are neon green 2lb weights. They are still most likely clipped together by the metal clips they have at the end. Our phone number is written on them, but can't remember if i used our cell or home phone...so its either 831-426-0330 or 831-247-0076....

Thanks for the help if you locate them...and watch out for that thief/ vandal with the cute furry angel face,,underneath is a devil! :D

Probably being used to crack open clams in front if the aquarium right now.

Was is darkish float? I've seen otter on one, thinking to myself , some one will have hard time getting him off the float :). I've seen same happened few month back McAbee beach.

if it's not one thing, it's an "otter"

I thought i would post it here encase someone finds the weights while diving. They are neon green 2lb weights.

Hope you find it! If not, I have a stash of coated neon green 2lb bullet weights and would be happy to donate a couple (perhaps as bait).

Thanks all for your replies...our float is a all red one...awhile back I watched an Otter get on and in 4 dive floats at breakwater and deliberately punture and deflate them...he would bounce on them till they were underwater then go to the next on...he was working on the 5th when the diver it belonged to surfaced and chased him away...I always try to be sure the float is totally zipped so they cant get it but we left it just a little unzipped and he squeezed in...

I know they are protected but they're screwing with us!

Dont want to depress you further, but they have figured out zippers. it wont make a bit of difference if you do close it all the way. i cant remember what the dms at my shop use, but they have a clip that secures the zipper shut- its the only way they stay out of it. Of course, that'll just annoy them and they will then go on to tear through the nylon and burst your float anyway...

Wanton destruction and lost gear aside, this is the funniest thing I've heard in a while! I've seen otters appropriate floats as makeshift sundecks, but I never knew they thought of them as bubble-wrap as well!

otter-mercury-456-022309.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom