OceanLog/Atom 2.0 download issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpawlows

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just checking to see if anyone else is having trouble downloading dives from an Atom 2.0 to OceanLog software. I have not been able to make this work. David from Oceanic has offered basic advice, but so far no progress. Is this just me or have others experienced this?

I've had to hook mine up several times to get the two computers to talk together and I haven't been able to get the SAC rate to show up. You might look at the contacts on the watch and the cable to make sure they aren't corroded. If they look funky try gently cleaning them with a pencil eraser. Don't go after them with anything metal. An interesting aside, I'm on my 4th wrist unit since June. I guess I'm hard on equipment. But you would think that they would be able to handle being in the water 4 to 6 days a week..

Cheers

Thanks for the input. Contacts on both cable and PDC are like new... battery is fine... Oceanic support doesn't have an answer so far. If I knew it was the software I'd try another program, but I'd like to first eliminate hardware issues. Unless there's some good freeware out there that's compatible?

I sugggest that you try to disconnect all other USB hardware.

Through hard experience i realized that if you have certain other hardware connected via USB (i.e. Palm PDA) the handshake between the PC and the atom does not finalize and you get a time-out error.

In order to get the SAC rate you need to input the working pressure and cylinder size manually.

Can you give us more details? At what point are you having trouble?

Here's the info I provided to Oceanic tech support:
----
1. I plug in the USB cable
2. I start Oceanlog software

3. I click Dive and get an information window "Please add new dive(s) before viewing further information"

4. I click OK

5. I get the ADD DIVE OPTIONS window with DOWNLOAD FROM PC selected and ATOM 2.0 displayed in the drop-down box

6. I make sure ATOM 2.0 is highlighted in blue and click OK

7. I get the DOWNLOAD FROM ATOM 2.0 window with USB INTERFACE FOUND displayed on the toolbar

8. I verify that the PDC is in Watch Main Time Mode

9. I clip the USB cable to the PDC and verify that PC appears with a 120 countdown timer

10. I click the start button on the toolbar and one of two things will almost always happen:

- less often -

a. Oceanlog briefly displays STARTING HANDSHAKE, then displays TIMED OUT

b. PDC countdown timer continues to countdown to 0

- or, more often -

a. Oceanlog briefly displays INVALID PROCESS. PROGRAM TERMINATED

b. PDC briefly displays all items then returns to main time

c. Download window closes and main Oceanlog window reappears

On one attempt out of dozens I did get a window that asked me to select and download dives, but there was only one to select (there should have been six) and when I downloaded it the data didn't appear to be valid. I haven't been able to get this far again.

----
Any help would be appreciated.

I sugggest that you try to disconnect all other USB hardware.

I thought about that and made sure my USB mouse was the only other device connected. If the mouse is causing the problem there's something radically wrong with the Oceanic driver and nearly everyone else would be having the same issues... but good suggestion all the same.

Hi bpawlows:

I had quite a few problems with my Oceanic and downloading dive date. I replaced the USB cable, and that helped. The software was quite buggy, so I spoke with the dive shop where I purchased the unit. They gave me a full refund, recommended another model, and it has berformed flawlessly for a year and a half. The PC interface is infrared, so there are no cables. It also syncs with my Treo 750, which is nice on long trips. No comparison with ease of data transfer and software.

Good Luck,

Dan

I had quite a few problems with my Oceanic and downloading dive date. I replaced the USB cable, and that helped. The software was quite buggy, so I spoke with the dive shop where I purchased the unit. They gave me a full refund, recommended another model, and it has berformed flawlessly for a year and a half. The PC interface is infrared, so there are no cables. It also syncs with my Treo 750, which is nice on long trips. No comparison with ease of data transfer and software.

Dan, thanks for posting.
Oceanic hasn't yet suggested replacing anything. I'm thinking next I'll try installing the software and drivers on another computer and see what happens. We're leaving for a 2-week vacation tomorrow, so I probably won't get around to that until we get back.

The software was quite buggy, so I spoke with the dive shop where I purchased the unit. They gave me a full refund, recommended another model, and it has berformed flawlessly for a year and a half. The PC interface is infrared, so there are no cables. It also syncs with my Treo 750, which is nice on long trips. No comparison with ease of data transfer and software.

I like the Atom, and don't really want to change to something else if there's any way to make this work... although that wireless Treo interface does sound interesting.

Oops, I forgot trim the first quote in my previous post. Still getting used to Scubaboard...

Back
Top Bottom