Delta 4 the new cold water reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob Vincent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
St. Louis Missouri / Diver's Paradise NOT!
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced its new regulator pick. In the June issue of Undercurrent, we wrote about NOAA's new rules and regulations for government divers in response to the death of two Coast Guard divers in Alaska last summer. One major change was giving the boot to all regulators Coast Guard divers had previously used for cold-water diving. After testing of multiple regulators, NOAA found Oceanic's Delta IV to be the most reliable.

"It consistently came up first for meeting all our criteria, and it won't freeze up in cold water," says Lieutenant Eric Johnson of the NOAA Diving Program. The Delta IV is an environmentally sealed diaphragm regulator and its first stage has Oceanic's Dry Valve Technology, designed to stop moisture and contaminants from entering and to prevent corrosion of internal components. NOAA bought 350 of the regulators and now requires its 500 divers to use that model when diving in water temperatures of 50 degrees or less. Johnson says the Navy's experimental dive unit is using them, too. The Delta IV is also commercially available for sport divers; Oceanic's suggested price is $570.

Cold-water divers should definitely invest in a good regulator that won't freeze up underwater. Two people died last April because of that problem. Jason Balsbough and Daniel Frendenberg, both age 21, and Sherry Eads, 43, went diving in a quarry in Gilboa, Ohio, where the water temperature was 38 degrees. Another diver called 911 to report the divers were down. Balsbough had regulator problems but was able to surface by himself. Frendenberg and Eads were too deep and their regulators were too iced for them to breathe.

I like mine:D

Balsbough had regulator problems but was able to surface by himself. Frendenberg and Eads were too deep and their regulators were too iced for them to breathe.

Too iced for them to breathe? Never heard that one before, what does it mean?

I think they mean regulator failure due to icing. (Isn't a free-flow the typical failure mode?)

Shown in the picture below are two first stages on a Y valve. You can tell which reg the diver was using, it's the iced one.

Attachments

• regice3.JPG
    regice3.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 260
Yes, freeflow is pretty common, experienced three last weekend with a class. Nobody died, as you can breathe a freeflowing reg or switch to your buddies gas and ascend.

I would venture a guess that it was not the regs which killed these people, it was their training.

Regardless of the issues that led to that accident (there were MANY failures most of which were not equipment related) congrats to Oceanic for passing the test. That has to say something about the Delta IV being a decent, reliable reg.

As I understood those regs froze up and did not free flow as designed. I sure would like to know what regs they were using.

Hey Doug Krause I love my Delta 4 have been very deep and in cold water also. Like an Islander, "NO PROBLEM MAN." (I replaced my ZETA for it. I was tired of the free flows with the pilot/servo when the Delta was just as an easy breather.) Is there going to be a trade in program to upgrade to the EOS after awhile? :)

24940 as I understand they actually stopped delivering any air at all and not with a bail out free flow. And yes I'm kinda with you on the training not to take away from bad equipment. I rather make an emergency free ascent and worry about getting to a chamber once I was on the surface. It's better to have a chance than none at all, I think you'll agree.

When deciding upon a purchase, my dad always said "look to the future and buy today what you'll want then." Since we live in Northern California with Lake Tahoe, thousands of mountain lakes, and a special interest that could put us in them, I'm glad our LDS built an Oceanic package that included the Delta IV. We love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom