Oceanic GEO eating batteries!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onefastpony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got a GEO from a guy off of Ebay who said that he has only used the computer for four dives. When I got the Geo yesterday, 10/26/09, the battery needed replacing. Not really a big deal since it came with two spares. I changed the battery less than 24 hours ago and i now have a change batt prompt on the computer, what is the deal!!! Please help, I am leaving on vacation tommorow and was planning on using the geo while diving and letting my wife use the veo 180nx.

I agree how old are the "new" batteries? You might try a brand new, fresh one. Those batteries are easily obtained at almost any store. Another thing,... At our LDS, we've had only 1 person who has had trouble with that computer & returned his 5- 6 times for warranty repair. Oceanic could never find anything wrong, they would just change the battery. In the end we found out that he was constantly using the back light on it & that was what was eating the batteries.

Update: The OP discussed his problem on a couple of different forums here on SB. Here's a link to the other thread. He reported yesterday that his problem was resolved by resetting the dive computer. Evidently, this Oceanic model (and perhaps others) displays the "low battery" signal even after battery replacement. Sounds like a bug to me. The dive manufacturer instructed him to short circuit the battery terminals to completely erase the memory. This apparently worked.

In that other thread, "onefastpony" has reported that shorting the +/- has not cleared the problem. It has come back... I have searched the problem on the Internet and there seems to be quite a few people having that problem...
I am having it. Low Battery... Then comes back to normal... "Change Batt" then comes back to normal... On and off. On and off. But it's a new battery (I tried a 2nd one). I went to Radio Shack, they tested the battery and it's good...
Does Oceanic have any idea why this happens? Is there anything we can do to fix the problem or do we have to return it? Is it software, hardware?

Thanks.

Marc-Andre

I would think that your only recourse at this point is to contact the store where you purchased the computer...or Oceanic directly. Oceanic is a well-established company, so I'd be very surprised if the company didn't make it "right." Possible solutions include: exchange of the malfunctioning computer for a new one (same model), exchange of the computer for a different Oceanic model (free upgrade from Oceanic?), or sending yours in for repair. Please let us know how Oceanic's customer service department resolves your issue.

Good luck.

I contacted Mark Lane at Oceanic and he's been very nice.
He told me to try to short the contacts as this resets the computer. If it doesn't work, then he told me to send it back... But I do like your suggestion of a free upgrade! ;-)

I tried the trick of shorting the positive and negative and it didn't work.

I contacted Oceanic and they were VERY fast at replying. I will send back my watch and they will replace it with a brand new packaged unit since my problem appeared within a week or so of buying my watch...

These guys are awesome! Great customer service. Will definitely buy from them again. Just wanted to spread the word! :)

Marc-Andre

hi im a padi owsi and im on the 3ed geo in 4 months!!!!!! my first one lasted me 2 weeks before the battery died, second bout 1 month and my last one i made them change the battery in the shop. It lasted bout 3 months and now its battery is dead!!!!!!! i find it a good computer but its eating batteries!!!!!!!!! think its a real problem with them....

hope you get it sorted
thinking about sending a email to oceanic myself!!!!!!!
good luck.

I have exactly the same problem. When surfacing from the first dive after changing to a brand new battery, the low-battery signal came on.

Can I just send the computer to Oceanic, just like that? To Oceanic Europe, or US? How do I go about it? I bought it at a very non-"L"DS on a trip to Singapore, but I live in Germany..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom