UFL-1 Strobe, is it good ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Major_Tom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Olympus UFL-1 , is it good, does anybody use it ? I'm planing to buy one for my SP-350 with PT-030. The main reason is the financial one. I read that for any other strobe I have to upgrade the bulkhead of PT-030. Any advise will be useful for beginner like me.
Thank you.

Unfortunately, it is pretty underpowered. But as you said your choices are limited. A UFL-2 with a cable might work, but you'd be paying a lot for TTL which you can't use. I'd be inclined to upgrade the bulkhead.

Jack

I believe that Sea and Sea makes the Olympus strobe. As such there may be a deal available for the Sea and Sea YS-17 vs. the UFL-1, which is essentially the same strobe. They are both around $250.00 for the strobe head only.

A next step up might be the YS-27. It's about $100.00 more, but with a higher Guide Number (G/N) of 20 vs. 14. Guide Numbers are a measure of the power of a strobe and can be used to judge relative qualities between strobe models.

For close-up work a small strobe will work ok. Two lower price strobes can work out pretty well.

Its great for a second strobe if you can't afford another same strobe that is around $300 to $1100. Here is a sample with using the YS-110 and UFL-1.

I bought an SP-560 with the PT-037 housing. My question to a seasoned U/W photographer and Olympus employee was since I am new at U/W photography, would I be happy with the UFL-1. The answer was that if I bought the UFL-1, I would be looking for the UFL-2 after a year and using the UFL-1 for my secondary strobe.

I decided to wait and get the UFL-2 first, then worry about a secondary if I need it.
(If it gets flooded, can I get a government "bail out" to replace it?) :D

Jeff

I bought an SP-560 with the PT-037 housing. My question to a seasoned U/W photographer and Olympus employee was since I am new at U/W photography, would I be happy with the UFL-1. The answer was that if I bought the UFL-1, I would be looking for the UFL-2 after a year and using the UFL-1 for my secondary strobe.

I decided to wait and get the UFL-2 first, then worry about a secondary if I need it.
(If it gets flooded, can I get a government "bail out" to replace it?) :D

Jeff

I have that exact setup, including the UFL-1, and I'm pretty happy with it. I do mostly macro, but it has been useful in adding some drama to 2-5' shots.

I use a UFL-1 with my Stylus 770sw. I tend to shoot with the camera set to wide angle and therefore tent to get pretty close to what I am photographing. I often set the UFL-1 to half power, since full power can wash out the picture more than I want.

I am very pleased with the UFL-1. I picked up a second one for my wife as well.

I have that exact setup, including the UFL-1, and I'm pretty happy with it. I do mostly macro, but it has been useful in adding some drama to 2-5' shots.

What strobe arms are you using? I'm going to go to the Beneath the Sea show in NJ next month and check out different setups then try to decide what to buy.

Jeff

Jeff;

With that larger strobe I would use ball and joint arms. Flex arms would be too light.

I have several set ups of trays, arms and so forth at very reasonable prices, as well as selling the UFL-2 at a discounted price.

See: Arms & Trays

Jack

I used the UFL-2 during this review Olympus E-520 and PT-E05 Housing - FourThirdsPhoto - News and Articles of the E-520/PT-E05 housing and found it to be quite nice and able to off set the weight of the camera housing.

Like the UFL-1 it only uses two AA type batteries thus limiting the number of flashes at full power over some strobes in the same price range.

The angle of coverage of the strobe can be changed from wide for W/A to narrower for macro/close-up. As the angle gets wider the guide number goes lower, so the 32 GN is at the narrow range only and is reduced when used in wide angle.

Another choice just released is the Inon S-2000 at around $425.00 US. This strobe uses four AA batteries, has an across the board guide number of 20 and requires an adapter (around $50.00) to work with the standard Sea & Sea type arms in Jack's port.

I think the UFL-2 is a great choice, most of us don't do more than 250 images on a dive (the reported battery life at full power) and the strobe has some features not found on any other strobe.

I like the zoom beam and the ability to pre set lighting ratios between multi strobes in TTL.

Attached image about 3 oz. plus in fresh water and 3 oz. minus in saltwater. Give or take a bit.

Phil Rudin

Attachments

• -8294990.jpg
    -8294990.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom