UFL-1 Strobe, is it good ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another choice just released is the Inon S-2000 at around $425.00 US. This strobe uses four AA batteries, has an across the board guide number of 20 and requires an adapter (around $50.00) to work with the standard Sea & Sea type arms in Jack's port.

I think the UFL-2 is a great choice, most of us don't do more than 250 images on a dive (the reported battery life at full power) and the strobe has some features not found on any other strobe.

Phil Rudin

Hi Phil thanks a lot for this view. Is the S2000 GN 20 the underwater GN and is that in m or ft?

I am assuming that the UFL-2 GN 32 is above water and in m's is this correct? In which case it would be GN16 or there abouts underwater.

It was very obvious that the E-520 doesnt need as powerful a strobe as my old NIkon F4 did which is good news. The drop off of light in water still makes a large strobe attractive for WA but as I dont do much of that, either of these strobes seem like a good solution.

regards

Ardy

The Inon GN 20 is at ISO 100, air, 1 x meter. I shot about the same guide number strobes with my Nikonos RS using 50 ISO film rated at 40 in TTL with good results so either strobe seems more than powerful enough to me. Same on the GN for the Oly UFL-2 strobe.

I like the Oly strobe and can't comment much on the new Inon as I have not tested one yet. Based on my past 17 years using Inon strobes I think the S-2000 will be a winner.

Phil

I have that exact setup, including the UFL-1, and I'm pretty happy with it. I do mostly macro, but it has been useful in adding some drama to 2-5' shots.

What strobe arms are you using? I'm going to go to the Beneath the Sea show in NJ next month and check out different setups then try to decide what to buy.

Jeff

I use an 11" Fantasea ball and socket arm, mounted on the left side of a generic tray. I also use a fiber-optic sync cable, from the housing's socket to the strobe's socket, and I block the camera's flash by blacking out the front of the housing's diffuser. Another handy item is the small LED flashlight I have strapped to the strobe, that functions as a focus/modeling light.

Thank you all. I think I got your point. I'll try to save more money for more serious strobe - like UFL-2.

Back
Top Bottom