What is the most essential port OM-D EM-5 for my case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Here is the background:
Normally I dive together with my daughter(s) with 2 camera, EPL-1 and XZ-1.
The XZ-1 recently flooded. I bought OM-D EM-5 w/ 12-50mm, no housing yet - and curently eyeing the 60mm macro too.
For EPL-1, I use 10bar w/ semi dome port where I can use for my lens ie. 14-42mm, 7-14mm (significant soft edges and CA at 7mm), 35mm macro (very slow AF), and 12-50mm (the existing zoom gear can be used for 12-50mm).
And, if required, I can attach my UCL165M67.
Hopefully I can use the semidome port with 60mm.

Then, the questions - what housing and what the most essential port for my OM-D so together with the EPL-1 we can shoot anything in one dive, from pigmy to whaleshark.?

We plan to visit R4 on Dec.
No chance to rob the bank, so the allocated budget is rather limited, let start with 1999 bucks - though (I hate) I can strech a bit if there's strong justification.

I have checked all related posts in this forum and found the following options
PT-EP08 with standard port cost less than 1500 buck, and I can use for my 14-42, 12-50mm, 60mm and probably 35mm.
Cons: No zoom gear available, and it's plastic housing. No idea what and how much cost for 7-14mm port.

Seem most people here favor nauticam NA-EM5.
The price for the housing itself is very realistic, but when I add with port(s) and zoom gear then I start to scracth my head. 800 bucks for the 12-50mm port is too much for me, I don't see the real benefit for my case. I think the 10bar semi dome port is better.
The 6" dome and gear will cost 630, but I read in this forum, there's some issue with soft edges and CA as well. Verylikely the result better than the 10bar semidome for EPL-1 but how significant?
and still I can't use the 60mm macro uless I spend another 300 bucks for flat port 72, and no 67mm thread!

Much apprecaite for any suggestions?

I just ordered the Nauticam with the port and zoom for the 12-50mm. You want everything from pygmy to whaleshark in one lens. This is the only option that even comes close. When you add a +10 diopter you can get close to ultra-macro, and 12mm is a fairly nice wide angle perspective. Much better than the 14-42 which I also have, but you lose a lot on the wide end and do not have nearly the same macro ability without stacking lots of diopters. there is no other port that gives you full zoom, power zoom for video, wide and macro all fully functional. The Oly housing is cheaply made compared to the Nauticam, and the OLy ports do not allow the use of the zoom's excellent macro. The Nautical port and zoom is a remarkable piece of engineering and worth the cost, as much as I hate to pay it.

Whoever said our hobby was cheap??!! Still, the versatility of this lens, port and zoom combo is going to be hard to beat.

I just ordered the Nauticam with the port and zoom for the 12-50mm. You want everything from pygmy to whaleshark in one lens. This is the only option that even comes close. When you add a +10 diopter you can get close to ultra-macro, and 12mm is a fairly nice wide angle perspective. Much better than the 14-42 which I also have, but you lose a lot on the wide end and do not have nearly the same macro ability without stacking lots of diopters. there is no other port that gives you full zoom, power zoom for video, wide and macro all fully functional. The Oly housing is cheaply made compared to the Nauticam, and the OLy ports do not allow the use of the zoom's excellent macro. The Nautical port and zoom is a remarkable piece of engineering and worth the cost, as much as I hate to pay it.

Whoever said our hobby was cheap??!! Still, the versatility of this lens, port and zoom combo is going to be hard to beat.

Thanks for advise.

No - I'm not looking for one lens to cater all.
As mentioned, I have panny 7-14mm and will have 60mm soon.

I'm trying to get the best combination and cost effective of my EPL-1 and OM-D in one dive with various lens I have.
I can use the 12-50mm with my EPL-1, I can adjust from 12 mm to 50mm and add 2 wetlens if I want macro.
I don't have the 60mm at this time - when I get it, sure the 60mm is much better than 12-50mm. But the questiion, which camera to mount - the EPL-1 or OM-D.
If OM-D, no dedicated 60mm port currently available. And for WA I still have to rely on EPL-1 for the 7-14 (effective at 9mm). Do I have to buy 6" dome and let the 60mm for EPL-1?

I just noticed the 12-50mm port come with M77 thread instead of 67mm; making less attractive for my case.

here is my take. I have the OM-D myself with the Nauticam NA-EM5 housing, switched from a E-PL3. I have the Olympus 9-18mm wide angle lens and now the 60mm macro as well. I use both in the Nauticam 4” Wide Angle Port.
Since your daughter has the E-PL1 and housing, have her use the E-PL1 with the 7-14 wide angle lens.
You can get still the Nauticam NA-EM5 or cheaper Olympus PT-EP08 housing but instead of the dome port use the Nauticam Flat Port 72
Thats my take. here is my setup: Nauticam NA-EM5 housing for the new [URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/scubaphotoschool/8054629696/in/photostream/lightbox/"] Olympus OM-D E-M5[/URL]

... and 12mm is a fairly nice wide angle perspective. Much better than the 14-42 which I also have, but you lose a lot on the wide end and do not have nearly the same macro ability without stacking lots of diopters. there is no other port that gives you full zoom, power zoom for video, wide and macro all fully functional.

Just got the 12-50mm port and it is a flat port with an amazing complex gear to operate it in the Nauticam housing.
As I will try to use it in the next days I will report my experience but for now I am a bit diffident about this solution for underwater use. The 12mm with a flat port is maybe worse as a wide angle solution than the 14-42mm behind the Zen port I was used to on the EPL1. On the other hand it is probably a better solution for Macro work with the add-on lens (although I was able to use the add-on lens on the ZEN dome port with good results for Macro work).
mmm in the meantime I hope I can assemble it.. :)

Let me know your thoughts. I currently have an e-pl2 with the zen dome for 14-42. I was hoping that the wide 77mm diameter and close fit would not narrow the 12mm field of view, but, like you, I will be able to test both. I do think the 12-50 will have a decisive advantage in macro, however, as even using the Oly macro adapter with the Zen dome adn 14-42 (yes, it does work), the diopter is not close enough, and there is not enough working distance, for truly up-close work on a skittish subject.

I had thought the OP was looking for an "all in one" solution. Actually, the "system" solution I ordered is the 7-14mm with 6" dome, that will get you any whaleshark!!. Then, the 60mm macro with a flip adapter with +10 diopter for macro/ultramacro. Then, the 12-50 for those "all around" reef dives when I might do scenes, fish portraits, and macro all in a single dive, and using a flip adapter with the diopter on that as well.

SCUBANOMAD How does the 60mm work in the 9-18mm dome? How close is the front of the lens to the dome? How does the bulge of the dome cut into your working distance to the subject?

here is my take. I have the OM-D myself with the Nauticam NA-EM5 housing, switched from a E-PL3. I have the Olympus 9-18mm wide angle lens and now the 60mm macro as well. I use both in the Nauticam 4” Wide Angle Port.
Since your daughter has the E-PL1 and housing, have her use the E-PL1 with the 7-14 wide angle lens.
You can get still the Nauticam NA-EM5 or cheaper Olympus PT-EP08 housing but instead of the dome port use the Nauticam Flat Port 72
Thats my take. here is my setup: Nauticam NA-EM5 housing for the new Olympus OM-D E-M5

Scubanomad. Thanks
I agree, in your case of 9-18mm and 60mm, the 4" is a nice set-up and cost effective. Do you have the p/n 25105 M67 flipdiopter ? I'm interested to know since using M67 adapter for my EPL-1 semi dome port may result strobe reflection if not carefully adjusted.

For my case, it is make sense to use the flatport 72, at leat for NOW - I've looked this option as well; the 1 cm air gap with this port may not big issue, but no M67 thread; so you need to spend another 300 buck for flip diopter holder.
I still expecting something better to be available.
The dimension of 12-50mm lens is 57x83mm and for 60mm is 56x82mm - only 1mm difference. Theoritically can use the same port with built-in M67 thread, not M77 or to buy another converter/adapter/diopter holder.
I think more people use M67 wetlens than M77.
The Nauticam macro port 35 and 56 has M67 thread.

---------- Post Merged at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Just got the 12-50mm port and it is a flat port with an amazing complex gear to operate it in the Nauticam housing.
As I will try to use it in the next days I will report my experience but for now I am a bit diffident about this solution for underwater use. The 12mm with a flat port is maybe worse as a wide angle solution than the 14-42mm behind the Zen port I was used to on the EPL1. On the other hand it is probably a better solution for Macro work with the add-on lens (although I was able to use the add-on lens on the ZEN dome port with good results for Macro work).
mmm in the meantime I hope I can assemble it.. :)

That's something that I don't understand.
Why we have to get very expensive and mechanicaly complicated system. I understood, the new firmware enable lens to set at 12mm in macro UW mode and 50mm in macro WA. So, theoriticaly a simple port - without zoom gear but with M67 thread will be more cost effective and probaly better solution.

---------- Post Merged at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Let me know your thoughts. I currently have an e-pl2 with the zen dome for 14-42. I was hoping that the wide 77mm diameter and close fit would not narrow the 12mm field of view, but, like you, I will be able to test both. I do think the 12-50 will have a decisive advantage in macro, however, as even using the Oly macro adapter with the Zen dome adn 14-42 (yes, it does work), the diopter is not close enough, and there is not enough working distance, for truly up-close work on a skittish subject.

I had thought the OP was looking for an "all in one" solution. Actually, the "system" solution I ordered is the 7-14mm with 6" dome, that will get you any whaleshark!!. Then, the 60mm macro with a flip adapter with +10 diopter for macro/ultramacro. Then, the 12-50 for those "all around" reef dives when I might do scenes, fish portraits, and macro all in a single dive, and using a flip adapter with the diopter on that as well.

SCUBANOMAD How does the 60mm work in the 9-18mm dome? How close is the front of the lens to the dome? How does the bulge of the dome cut into your working distance to the subject?

Yes, I think this is one of the issue of using diopter with dome port. The design and location of the adapter can be very tricky with regard to the strobe reflection as well.

Even if I can afford the 6" dome (assuming the soft edge issue is not significant), 12-50port and 72 flat port; I still expecting to get more effective solution - less is better.

I went to R4 last year, it was awesome... however no whale sharks. I wouldn't be too worried about having to shoot pygmies and whalesharks at the same time. The manta dive was Manta sandy, and they have a system where they have divers sit stationary behind a ring of rocks. Best system ever as the Mantas came in and stayed for 3 dives in a row. There's some macro to be shot, but if your lucky, you won't be wandering around if Manta's are around. I shot a lot of wide angle at first, but just got bored of turtles and wobbegong sharks and wanted to do more macro. Was a 12 day liveaboard.

I had an EPL2 in a factory housing, but i only brought my Zen 9-18 port to keep travel weight down. However, i found shooting the 14-42 through the dome to be a disappointment, minimum focus distance was just too far. I also hate changing ports on that housing... i should have gotten a nauticam housing. However, I just picked up today the 60 macro and did some pool tests with it behind the zen 9-18 port and it works quite well. Some focus hunt (i didn't lock down the focus range), but not as bad as the pana 45 i've tried.

I'm in a bit of a quandry now, the 60macro and 9-18 work well behind the zen dome. Can I really justify the expense of going to a nauticam? If i'm going to invest that much in a housing, I'll upgrade to the OMD, get 4" dome and the flip diopter. Seems like a great port, can use the 9/18, 12-50 and 60 macro. Then I can add dedicated ports (8mm FE et al) along the way. Or do I get another year out of my epl2 and by my 2nd strobe and a more powerful video light....

Though it seems the best way to shoot both pygmies and whale sharks on one dive is to go compact w wet lenses no?

Here is the background:
Normally I dive together with my daughter(s) with 2 camera, EPL-1 and XZ-1.
The XZ-1 recently flooded. I bought OM-D EM-5 w/ 12-50mm, no housing yet - and curently eyeing the 60mm macro too.
For EPL-1, I use 10bar w/ semi dome port where I can use for my lens ie. 14-42mm, 7-14mm (significant soft edges and CA at 7mm), 35mm macro (very slow AF), and 12-50mm (the existing zoom gear can be used for 12-50mm).
And, if required, I can attach my UCL165M67.
Hopefully I can use the semidome port with 60mm.

Then, the questions - what housing and what the most essential port for my OM-D so together with the EPL-1 we can shoot anything in one dive, from pigmy to whaleshark.?

We plan to visit R4 on Dec.
No chance to rob the bank, so the allocated budget is rather limited, let start with 1999 bucks - though (I hate) I can strech a bit if there's strong justification.

I have checked all related posts in this forum and found the following options
PT-EP08 with standard port cost less than 1500 buck, and I can use for my 14-42, 12-50mm, 60mm and probably 35mm.
Cons: No zoom gear available, and it's plastic housing. No idea what and how much cost for 7-14mm port.

Seem most people here favor nauticam NA-EM5.
The price for the housing itself is very realistic, but when I add with port(s) and zoom gear then I start to scracth my head. 800 bucks for the 12-50mm port is too much for me, I don't see the real benefit for my case. I think the 10bar semi dome port is better.
The 6" dome and gear will cost 630, but I read in this forum, there's some issue with soft edges and CA as well. Verylikely the result better than the 10bar semidome for EPL-1 but how significant?
and still I can't use the 60mm macro uless I spend another 300 bucks for flat port 72, and no 67mm thread!

Much apprecaite for any suggestions?

Thanks watboy,
I mentioned pigmyseahorse and whaleshark just to emphasized my need to take best result super macro and WA opportunity in typical tropical diving with combination of EPL-1 in 10bar and OM-D.
I know no whale shark in R4 though who knows?

Since I have the 7-14, the 4" dome port of nauticam probaly is not the best solution. Not very cost effective if only for 60mm macro, unless I can use 7-14mm. Even if the result only slightly better than 10 semibar dome port I will take.
my EPL-1 with 10bar give me lot of flexibility.

I noticed a new chart up at the Nauticam web site for m4/3 cameras. It lists ports "coming soon" for the Olympus 12mm/f2 and the 60mm/f2.8 Macro and these are the ones I want to buy.

The chart is at the bottom of the page.
Nauticam International Ltd.

Back
Top Bottom