Olympus E-PM1, PT-EP06L and external strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hania

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi peeps, For my 40th I am getting the oly epm-1 and pt-ep06l housing, I will also be getting the zoom ring compatible with both the 9-18 and 14-42 lenses. I have just been told that if I look into the strobes and find out how much they are I will be getting one(or possibly two) of those, is going to be a great birthday present and can't believe the family have been discussing this to work it all out. My parents will also be throwing me out of a plane at 10k feet strapped to an instructor and I think they are hoping I won't be given a parachute to save them some money somewhere lol

Anyway, the housing has 2 fibre ports for the cables and I was wondering if all fibre cables had the same fitting, as in able to be plugged into the housing, or is it only oly cables that will fit? Also what is the fuji (about £125) strobe like, would it be good as a starter flash? or possibly 2 as I mentioned.

On the Oly housings there are port plugs and if you make a small hole in the end of them you can fit the fibre optic cable into the plug. There are other fittings you can buy to fit the fibre optic cables to the fibre optic ports but putting a hole in the plug works just fine. The cables are generic but the fittings to the strobe are not.

I took a quick look at this strobe and the manufacturers website doesn't provide much information. That always concerns me. I suspect it is underpowered and does not have any manual adjustments and does not shoot STTL. I would be inclined to spend more and get more features. I am personally using the Inon S2000 and have been happy with it. It is very small but considerably more expensive than the strobe you are looking at. There are other choices and a little googling may provide you with some additional information. Searching the lighting thread will provide information as well.

Good luck and enjoy your 40th. I vaguely remember that birthday.

They are all the same. I bought plugs with tiny hex screws in them to secure the optic cable so they don;t pull out. I also used the single plugs even though i have two stobes. It just didn;t seem a good idea to have them both in one plug.

Thanks, been a while since i asked. I thought there might be a way to jam the ends in the plugs, where did you get the plugs from ConchyJoe?

Back
Top Bottom