Nauticam EM-5 housing and 12-50mm Port question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bullshark

Reaction score
My zoom control on the housing seems to have a weak return spring. In effect, I need to "manually" return the zoom to the center (idle) position. In some cases it will return by itself, but in other cases, not. The zoom gear on the lens is absolutely free and snaps back to center without hesitation or application of force. It [lens barrel and gear assembly] is quite strong with respect to force needed to zoom it and the force with which it snaps back to center.

Is anyone else noticing this?

I can't check it right now, since my camera body is currently in Hauppage NY getting the f*&^*ing knob glued back on to the main wheel control. I'm really PO'd about this defect. It shouldn't happen in the first place, and I should have to pay the freight to the Olympus Repair center when it does. Yes I know that it happens a lot. That only makes it more compelling that Olympus should be paying the freight to their repair facility.

Users should take care to see this doesn't happen. I don't think it would do the zoom drive in in the lens any favors to be stuck in "drive" (either way) with no where to go.

Hi Bullshark,

I don't know that I have heard of this happening before. We'll be happy to adjust it and make it work. It's best if you send you camera in with it as the cameras do vary slightly in dimensions quite often. Drop us an email at innovation at nauticamusa dot com and we'll get it straightened out for you.

Regards,
Chris

My zoom control on the housing seems to have a weak return spring. In effect, I need to "manually" return the zoom to the center (idle) position. In some cases it will return by itself, but in other cases, not. The zoom gear on the lens is absolutely free and snaps back to center without hesitation or application of force. It [lens barrel and gear assembly] is quite strong with respect to force needed to zoom it and the force with which it snaps back to center.

Is anyone else noticing this?

Fortunately (!) I have not had this problem. My issue is that I think the spring are just a bit too hard. Different amount of pressure should make it zoom fast or slow but I am afraid to turn it too much and break something so I just turn the knob just enough to zoom slow. Indeed the force and mechanism is complex.
On the other issue you had: my main mode wheel on the camera did pop off but I just used some glue and it is just fine (!).

Like nudibranco, the spring in my zoom gear for the 12-50 is quite strong. I don't think you can break it by turning the knobs too hard. I did notice that part of the device came pre-lubricated with some sort of white grease.

Yeah, let Nauti take care of you. It should stop zooming when you release the knob.

As for the control dial, mine came off also, but super glue has it solid as a rock!

Back
Top Bottom