Strobe Sync Speed with the Oly EM5 when using Electronic Sync Cord Instead of OFC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone tried to use higher shutter speeds than 1/250 with the EM5 when using electronic sync cord instead of the optical fiber cable?

As it turns out that when I switched to using sync cords instead of the OFC (this would include removing the accessory flash from the camera), one can change the shutter speed to anything they want since the camera doesn't know that there still is a strobe connected to the hot-shoe on the camera. When I increased to 1/320 speed, I couldn't discern any problem at all but when I went to 1/400 and higher, I can see very clearly the black horizontal bar starting from the top of the viewfinder. The black bar increases in size as I increase the shutter speed.

Has anyone experimented with shutter speed when using electronic sync cord and had any problems with the 1/320 speed?

Yes, same on the E620. 1/430? on the E-620 before the black bar started show on the Inon Z240. Maybe 1/400 was the limit. Man does it remove every bit of ambient light at that speed.

What bulkhead connector are you using?I had the Heinrich Weikamp.

I am using the bulkhead connector from Nauticam. The sync cord is directly connected to the housing. I have only tried this on the surface. I haven't tried it U/W yet. I'll try it next time I go diving.

Yep. So mine worked really well with the E-420, and would not let me past a certain sync point. The E-620 will let me past that point.

Just remember to go back to something reasonable to get ambient background back. 1/100-1/125 at F16-F18 seemed really nice with my two Z-240's at 50mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom