Super Macro on 5060/7070

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolverine

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea on how to get the camera flash to fire when in Super Macro mode?

I don't think it will. Mine automatically shuts the flash off when I go super macro. I assume the internal flash wouldn't be any use at that distance.

If you need it to trigger an external one in slave mode then you have to switch to manual mode. If you go "M" you can set it to fire. But consider what Renee says's correct 100%. If you get too close to the subjet the strobe's cone gets covered by the housing, then you can keep yourself more distant or just use it to trigger another strobe.

Wolverine:
Anyone have any idea on how to get the camera flash to fire when in Super Macro mode?

Wolverine, You can get the flash to fire in Supermacro only in Manual (M) and I believe Aperature Priority (A) modes. To do this onc you are in one of those modes, you go into the menu>camera>flash>slave and then you can choose the intensity you want. I usually go with 8 or 9.

When taking pictures you will have to make sure you do not get too close to the subject because you will start getting a shadow from your lens port. You can still get very close and the 5050 yields some nice results. I am hooked on supermacro myself. The majority of my photos are taken in Supermacro with the internal flash. I finally got a small strobe last week. If you want to take a look to see what the camera can do :

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/9874

i tried that already but the flash didn't seem to go off. Let me try it again.

I want to use the camera flash to trigger my slave Inon strobe,so shodows should not be an issue. Btw, love your pics. They inspired me to get the 7070.

Wolverine:
i tried that already but the flash didn't seem to go off. Let me try it again.

I want to use the camera flash to trigger my slave Inon strobe,so shodows should not be an issue. Btw, love your pics. They inspired me to get the 7070.

Thanks Wolverine. After seeing this message, I took out both my 5050 and 8080 and followed the directions I gave you earlier (to make sure I didn't lead you astray) and both fire the onboard flash in supermacro. I tried setting the slave both before and after setting the supermacro, in case it was an order thing, and both ways worked. So, unless the model you have is different in setting the slave, there might be a malfunction.

Nick

Ok. looks like the 7070 is a little buggy.. sigh.. i will check with Olympus to see if there is anything wrong with my setting. And I will go check the camera forums to see if they have any issues with this. Thanks again Nick.

Nick,
I recently purchased an 8080 with an Ike housing and a ds50 strobe. I'm going on my first trip with it next week and I was wondering if you had any words of wisdom. I've been practicing at home with the settings Ikelite reccomended and they seem to be a good starting point (M,1/100,f/5.6).

Thanks, Eric

Congratulations! Assemble the entire rig. camera in housing, strobe etc. and start firing away...in and around the house and outside keep the distances to less than 2 or 3 feet. Ike's settings are a good starting point, but always experiment with all the different combinations. Know the limitations of the different settings. Remember the key housing buttons...in total darkness!

Dunk that housing alone, in deep water before putting the camera in, look for leaks.

Dive Safe

f3nikon:
Congratulations! Assemble the entire rig. camera in housing, strobe etc. and start firing away...in and around the house and outside keep the distances to less than 2 or 3 feet. Ike's settings are a good starting point, but always experiment with all the different combinations. Know the limitations of the different settings. Remember the key housing buttons...in total darkness!

Dunk that housing alone, in deep water before putting the camera in, look for leaks.

Dive Safe

Good advice from f3nikon, I would add, take many shots of your subject when you can. I found the Autofocus to be rather hard to control. It does not always focus on what you want in focus and the display is too small to see whether it is crisp or not. So, take several shots regardless of how nice it looks in the display after you took the shot.

Also, bracket your shots. Try different shutter speeds and different f-stops ont he same subject. This will give you a greater choice of shots when you are processing and help you learn what parameters work better for different types of shots.

I can't count the times I got back with what I thought was going to be a great shot to see that it was out of focus or overexposed, etc.... Had I taken a few more shots with different settings, I would have probably gotten a better shot.

Have a great trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom