Fakarava/Rangiroa - What thickness wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going for 2 weeks at the end of June/ beginning of July. Will I be cold with a 3mm shortie plus full body lycra skins under it? Did liveaboard in Thailand in Feb and Maldives in June and Aug and was OK with that combo but I don't think I'd be OK if it was any colder. Water temperature was around 28 to 30 degrees. How cold is it in the Tuamotus that time of year? Should I invest in a 5mm full body or is it not really needed?

Thanks!

I don't think you can go wrong with erring on the conservative side and going with a thicker exposure suit (5mm). With a 5mm you'll also have the option of cooling yourself down if you feel too warm.

Kyjellyfish, you are definitely right and I would take it with me if I had one. However as I don't already have a 5mm wetsuit, I'm wondering if there is actually a definite need for me to get one specifically for this trip or if I could get away with my 3mm shortie plus full body lycra skins. I'm trying to save money for a dry suit and undersuit at the moment so I'm trying to establish what I can get away with in the Tuanomotus. Having said that, I most certainly don't want to spoil my holiday freezing every dive and not enjoying it....

Gotcha. I was in the same position not too long ago and opted to get a wetsuit suitable for all warm water temps. Anyway I think you can make do with what you have and stay warm by other means than using a thicker suit.

Speaking of drysuits, I think the DUI TLS350 is worth every cent and have even considered bringing it along on my next warm water trip :wink:

Thanks for the dry suit tip!!! I'll certainly look into it! I will also keep my eyes open for any good deals on a nice full body 5mm just in case I get lucky :))

I'm going for 2 weeks at the end of June/ beginning of July. Will I be cold with a 3mm shortie plus full body lycra skins under it? Did liveaboard in Thailand in Feb and Maldives in June and Aug and was OK with that combo but I don't think I'd be OK if it was any colder. Water temperature was around 28 to 30 degrees. How cold is it in the Tuamotus that time of year? Should I invest in a 5mm full body or is it not really needed?

Thanks!

Water temp in tuamotu island is very warm, very likely >26C!
Unless you have a very specific trip organized, like deep long and deco dives or many dives/day, I would drop the 5mm idea (and certainly the drysuit)
Most of the dive op are doing 2 dives and the outside temp is very good too (in fact, a 5mm might be too much outside!)
So 3mm shorty and body skins is very good to my point of view. We were all in full 3 mm or shorty and no pb at all.

Stargost,

Thank you so much for the info!!!! I'm, very glad you said that cause I was leaning towards just going with my 3mm shortie so you made my mind up now!!!! Yay!

I've only been there in January and April and I dove it with a Polartec. However, since Tahiti is in the southern hemisphere, it is the start of their winter season. Suggest you contact the dive operator you're going with - if you haven't yet picked one, try emailing Top Dive or Blue Dolphin.

3mm is plenty for rangiroa. i would highly recommend a dive operation called six passengers, my wife and i have been with them on two separate trips in the last 8 years and found them to be the best on the atoll.

3mm is plenty for rangiroa. i would highly recommend a dive operation called six passengers, my wife and i have been with them on two separate trips in the last 8 years and found them to be the best on the atoll.

yes, 6passengers get good feedback - try the DM with a huge compass tatoo on his back, he was very good (if still there, as it was a long time ago - want to go back !!) and for Fakarava, I'd recommend Serge on Fakarava diving and not the other.

club

Fakarava diving - short trip report and dive club comments [Archive] - ScubaBoard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom