5mm wetsuit options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eh? Sorry I wasn't clear. lol

20 C, yeah 5 or 6 mil.

28 C, thats 82 F degree water, right? i would be in a 1.5 mil top.

The Sport S-Flex looks like it is maybe the newer version of mine? I am looking online, mine is a few years old so either that is the updated version or maybe the Sport line was replaced with one of the Revel/Reactive lines? Not sure.

Mine looks like this one - CLICK HERE - but in 5mm.
Yeah, that one got replaced I think. The newer S-Flex is on my list, has no ankle zippers (but that's not a problem if it still comes off easily.

Eh? Sorry I wasn't clear. lol

20 C, yeah 5 or 6 mil.

28 C, thats 82 F degree water, right? i would be in a 1.5 mil top.
I have always been quite warm-blooded (rather overheated than cold). But somehow warmer waters don't get me overheated that much.

I am looking at 5mm suits without any ankle or wrist zippers now. There are plenty of those. Just looking for a lighter-weight one that has good 'doffing' reviews. I am not in a hurry, plenty of time to look and try a few once shops have restocked.
Here is Cressi with a back zipper: Cressi Castoro Jumpsuit
No wrist or ankle zippers.

I am looking at 5mm suits without any ankle or wrist zippers now. There are plenty of those. Just looking for a lighter-weight one that has good 'doffing' reviews.
If it's ease of doffing you're looking for, I would highly recommend the ankle zips. Even if the suit material is flexible, the challenge is that you're trying to get your foot through a hole that's the circumference of your ankle. Plus the material is wet so it's gripping your skin. The zips increase the size of the hole, making it easier for your foot to go through while reducing the strain on the material and seams.
I have several suits myself and get always prefer ankle zips.
Hope that helps,
Derek

I am looking for a 5mm wetsuit for traveling and diving 20-28 deg C waters, but with some specific features (more on those in a minute).

A bit of background: I own and love the Mares Seal Skin 6mm suit. I would gladly take that suit, but there are two 'problems' with it.

1) It's a b*tch to take off. Especially the ankle bits are hell. They have zippers, but also glideskin inner cuffs that are just a PITA to get over the heels. Especially on liveaboards where you want to take off your suit quickly to get it dry before the next dive, doing that a few times a day isn’t something I look forward to. I am not at all worried about some water flushing in, so I don't need the glideskin cuffs on the suit I am trying to find for vacation temperatures.

2) The Seal Skin suit is quite heavy. In my size (5/L) it weighs in at 2.8 kg (dry). And since I am looking for a travel-friendly suit, that’s not ideal.

So what am I looking for then?
  • 5mm full-length wetsuit
  • Easy to don and especially doff
  • Preferably ankle zippers, but without an inner cuff (zips are not a must, but I feel they really help in the easy doffing department - minus the inner cuffs, that is)
  • No wrist zips
  • Straight vertical back zip
  • No fixed hood
  • Not too heavy (< 2 kg)
I have googled my *ss off, and have only found one suit that ticks all these boxes: Waterproof W50. But it is € 330 or more. I have no problem with investing in a quality suit. But the design of the W50 is very basic. Not a problem either. But other ‘very basic’ suits (that mostly tick all but one of the aforementioned boxes) are in the € 200-250 range. I feel that with Waterproof, I only pay more because they are from Sweden.

Any other suits that should be on my radar?
Love my scuba pro steamer but I use nylon dive socks and everything slides on and off much easier

Love my scuba pro steamer but I use nylon dive socks and everything slides on and off much easier
Agreed. My 5mm is a Bare Velocity and has zips on ankles and wrists so doesn't meet OP's criteria, but the biggest thing that has made donning/doffing quicker for me is wearing socks and a rash guard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom