Philippine Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamtodd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been doing a bunch of diving in SE Asia, and I have heard so many people telling me that I simply must dive in the Philippines. I am planning this out for my next endevour. Basically I think Palawan/Coron sounds like the place for me. I am thinking about doing a live aboard in this region (can I dive both on one liveabord itinerary?). Aside from doing more high intensity diving (liveaboard) I am also looking for a nice place to hang out, where the diving is good (two dive a day) - more holiday style! Any help?? Thanx Guys

What type of diving are you used to?
Puerto Galera has the most varied diving I have seen; rec.; tech.; wreck.; drift; deep; nature; etc. I dove through Action Divers in 2005, Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers there are many other dive shops, and resorts in Puerto Galera, Puerto Galera, Philippines. Beach Resorts, Hotels and Scuba Diving Travel Guide and Directory.
There is also Anilao Municipality of Mabini, Batangas Philippines Welcome to Aqua Venture Reef Club! Live out a real diver's dream at Aquaventure Reef Club, Anilao, Batangas -- Luzon's premiere watersport haven and family resort.
Both of these areas are a 2-3 hour bus ride south of Manila. Puerto Galera will add a 45 min boat ride to Sabang Beach. For Puerto Galera, take the bus that goes to the Batangas Pier, the get a boat to Sabang Beach. Little LaLaguna Beach is a short malk from Sabang, (there is always help to cary your bags) Puerto Galera is less expensive for accomodations.
If you wanted to go to other areas, I would recomend Mactan Is. in Cebu, or Panglao Is in Bohol. Both are a plane ride away form Manila. Great diving at both. I was there in Feb 2008 and have posted some of my pics.
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=all&ppuser=36576
Isis Bungalows - Welcome to Isis Bungalows I did not stay at Isis, but it looks nice. There is also Welcome to Flower Garden Resort I dove with Baywatch Divers baywatchdivers@yahoo.com ask for Vernon
There is a new dive resort opening in Nov. this year in Panay Is in the Antique Province. A board member Babydamalung opperates the resort, so you can PM him for more info, and a possible discount. Panay Explorers
There are many more places, Moalboal on Cebu Is. Malapascua just off Cebu Is. You would fly into Cebu city, (Mactan Is.) and take a taxi to either place. Thresher Shark Divers, Malapascua, Philippines, About Us Ocean Safari Philippines - Moalboal
So many great places to dive so little time. I've been to the Philippines for 14 weeks on three trips. NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!
If you have never been to the Philippines, I'll leave you with a warning: DIVING IN THE PHILIPPINES IS THE MOST ADDICTIVE FORM OF DIVING!!! :D:D:D

I suggest you contact Gunther from Discovery Divers, Coron (Discovery Divers: Wreck Tek & scuba diving in Coron, Palawan, Phlippines). He has a liveaboard boat and can probably accomodate you. But it'll be expensive if it's just you on the boat.

How much time do you have on your endeavor? If you time it right, Gunther usually does a week liveaboard around Coron and then to Apo Reef. After you can relax around Coron or you can head down to El Nido for some relaxing over there.

Thanx a lot for your help guys... That gives me something to chew on! I'm stoked to finally get a chance to get over to the Philippines. With so many good dive sites, it is hard to figure out where to go! I haven't done a lot of good wrecks, but I am really interested in getting into it. So far I'm think Coron and Puerto Galera seem like good choices.

Are Apo Reef and Puerto Galera different in terms of marine life, quality of topo and/or coral?? Pros? Cons?

Thanx again guys!!
Adam

You must go to apo reef! I love it there. You can take liveaboards that do Apo reef and Coron.

Of course, puerto galera, anilao and verde island are must trys as well. Subic bay is also accessible from manila and the wrecks there are good as well.

Plus apo island in dumaguete... too many to mention. Just stay longer... hehe

Back
Top Bottom