A Good 1st Time Philippine Dive Trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dennism52

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I'm a relatively new member to ScubaBoard and am looking for help on choosing a location (or two) for a two week trip to the Philippines. My wife and I are both experienced divers; I have logged over 600 dives and my wife has over 500. We have dove mostly in California and the Caribbean and would like to see marine life that is different than what we've seen so many times in the Caribbean (our favorites are Cozumel, Roatan, and Bonaire).

I am an amateur underwater photographer and like shooting everything from wide angle to macro (but I suck at macro). Both my wife and I like a diversity of reef fish, pelagic's, healthy coral, and (some) macro subjects. What we really want to see is new "stuff" we don't see in the Caribbean.

Ideally, we would like to plan a trip for January or February. I am looking for any suggestions. We did go to the Long Beach scuba show and have a lot of info already on Puerto Galera, Dumagetti, etc. I'm looking for opinions and suggestions from divers like myself who have done a trip during Jan-Feb. We are also looking into Micronesia, Indonesia, and Fiji. Indonesia seems to be the most expensive option and we do have budget limits. One last comment: we like (and prefer) rustic places to stay and don't need 5 star accommodations.

malapascua - with exotic, tsd .. both well recommended. they have different price accom that can suit every one.. also the food is decently cheap (imo)

Anilao for macro.
Malapascua for something much much bigger.
Connecting these two places will reqire internal flight(Manila to Cebu) and 5-6 hrs on wheels.

Malapascua (with Evolution) for a great combo of big and small stuff, some amazing topography at places like Gato Island, and the Dona Marilyn wreck.

Then Dauin (with Mike's) for incredible muck/macro and great reef diving at Apo Island.

Both Evolution and Mikes have very cheap accom next door that they can put you in touch with, and both were impeccable operations with great guides and great service.

We did both in January this year. It was overcast much of the time, but the ocean conditions and diving was amazing at both places. We dove some other great spots too, but for a two week trip, those are the places we would return to without question.

We did a week in Bohol too. Bohol has great variety topside and some good walls on Balicasag island. Snake Island was a fabulous dive, if tricky current. We dove with Prana. Look up the reviews they get. They're not one of the massive franchises like Sea Explorers, and that's a great thing I reckon. I came out a better diver just by diving with Laurent (the owner) a few times. But check out their reviews. Boutique places like Evolution, Mikes and Prana really made our trip something special.

Dauin (with Mike's) for incredible muck/macro and great reef diving at Apo Island, as Mantra says, I will also recomend that including Mike Beach Resort, excelent diving, easy access to and from Manila, very friendly people and good shopping and arkets if you or your wife takes a day off from diving. Just to let you know Mike's only have 16 accommodations so book in advance.

You could also try Sipalay (with Easydiving) that's only a few hours drive from Dumaguete. Sipalay have wall dives, botom dives, drop off's, lots of corals, canyons, wreck dives, deep dives, shallow reefs, and Easydiving is a very profesional outfit.

I sure you will get a nice trip.

I am an amateur underwater photographer and like shooting everything from wide angle to macro (but I suck at macro). Both my wife and I like a diversity of reef fish, pelagic's, healthy coral, and (some) macro subjects. What we really want to see is new "stuff" we don't see in the Caribbean.
Have you thought about a live-aboard? It is a great way to see many sites and maximum diversity.

It might be more expensive. However, if you figure cost/minute of diving, ease of diving & overall value, I believe it is an excellent option. I was just on the Philippine Siren in June and everyone felt like they received more than their money's worth.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. I'm amazed at how many responses I've received so quickly. I will definitely look into the suggested locations; this is exactly what I was hoping for. Most of the general info I've seen up to this point is mainly on Puerto Galera, Dumagetti, and Anilo.

I will try to return the favor by providing responses/help in the Caribbean and Photography forums where I may be of some help. I will definitely be visiting ScubaBoard more often. Thanks again for the advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom