Can anyone recommend a good place to do my DM in the Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shazam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys, I'll be in the Philippines for 2 months (Jan-March 2014) and plan to get certified as a DM while I'm there. I'm currently advanced certified so I'll need to get my rescue diver before the DM certification. I've done a search and found an old thread so thought I'd ask here if anyone can recommend an instructor to train with (or avoid) in the Philippines. I'm thinking of renting an apartment for a month in Puerto Galera or Palawan. Thanks for any info :love4:

I would say make a short list of potential shops and call them. Talk to the instructor that will be teaching your course. You will be spending a good deal of time and money. Spend a couple extra dollars on a phone call or two. It will help you be sure that the instructor is experienced, and someone you can talk to. Divemaster should be a very involved course. You don't want to be stuck with someone that you have a hard time communicating with or don't necessarily get along with.

Glad I found this post- I'm in the same situation! I'll be arriving beginning of January and leaving end of February- what have you found out? What area are you looking at doing your DMT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input and sorry about my late reply.. just had to get xmas and new years out the way :cheerleader::coke:
I've heard a few people recommend Asia Divers so I'll check with them when I arrive. I've only been to Sabang (PG) once before and dived with a Korean group (Sea Queen) who were quite good and professional. They were next to where I stayed and had the cheapest rates (900-1000 peso a dive) plus the main guy was friendly so I stuck with them.. but not sure I want to do my DM through them.

Glad I found this post- I'm in the same situation! I'll be arriving beginning of January and leaving end of February- what have you found out? What area are you looking at doing your DMT?
To be honest I haven't done much research since I posted but i'll be on the phone the next few days and chatting with some places in Sabang... is that where you're planning to go? My rough plan is to stay at Subic bay and dive some shipwrecks for a few nights and then head to Sabang about Jan 10-15th. Are you planning on going to Sabang as well? I'll report back once I find out some more info.

I just replied to the "best place to dive in the PI" string below, thinking I wads responding re a DM post. Check it out.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 08:09 PM ----------

And if you do your DM elsewhere, take the opportunity to check out Boracy for some beach time. Just make sure you do it before the wind switches.

I'm actually thinking of doing the DMT in Ko Lanta instead. I've had a few people recommend doing dive education there rather than Philippines because the schools tend to be more established amoung other reasons. Anybody have any input on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks but to be honest I wasn't that impressed with the diving at Boracay except for Yapak. They have great beaches and nightlife but I think Moalboal, Bohol and Sabang offer better diving.

I just replied to the "best place to dive in the PI" string below, thinking I wads responding re a DM post. Check it out.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 08:09 PM ----------

And if you do your DM elsewhere, take the opportunity to check out Boracy for some beach time. Just make sure you do it before the wind switches.

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2014 at 11:47 AM ----------

I'm actually thinking of doing the DMT in Ko Lanta instead. I've had a few people recommend doing dive education there rather than Philippines because the schools tend to be more established amount other reasons. Anybody have any input on this?

Not sure if it's true but I've heard a few dive shops talk negatively about people who did their training in Thailand and will take applications from those who did it elsewhere when given the choice. Some DM's I've spoken to who trained in Thailand have also said they wished they did their training elsewhere. The main reason is that more emphasis seems to be paid on partying than diving and they didn't have the opportunity to learn some of the dive skills you acquire from learning to DM in varied conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom