Long timers advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevinl4270

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I finally got out of Manila and onto Panglao! I've been in country for two months on a one year spouses visa. (I'm American wife is Filipina) I will be here at least six more months and hopefully much longer. I've been reading the Internet for advice and was hoping some of you that have been here a while can help me out.
1. Do I have to participate in this new program to register all foreigners here in the Philippines? Some sites say yes all foreigners some say only those not on a valid visa.
2. Do I need an ACR1 card? Some sites say only if you need a bank account (we don't) some sites say it's being phased out. No idea.
3. Does anyone know a good real estate lawyer in Tagbilarin or Panglao, or are they necessary? We plan to try to buy a house as soon as possible. We bought in Mindinao on our own and in the end(years fighting owner for title) we hired a real estate lawyer to settle this for us.
4. Do I need insurance for a scooter? I could only find rules covering cars.
5. Should I get/do I need a Filipino drivers license? After staying in Manila for two months I can't imagine drivers license exist here, but I also want to be legal and I refuse to get shaken down by some money hungry cop.

Thanks for any help provided.

1.Yes, as far as I understand and have been informed by my embassy.
2.Yes everyone needs...although if that is changing I don't know. Best bet is to go to immigration and they will tell you what you do or don't need.
3.Not personally, maybe someone from there does. But there's loads in Cebu who am am sure would be willing to travel if necessary.
4.I don't believe you "need" it legally, certainly most people don't have.
5.Much better to get one as it's easy to get and serves as good ID as well. I believe the rule is that if you've been in the country more than one month you're supposed to have a local license.

Enjoy.

Sounds like you are here on the Balikbayan 1 year visa free privilege.. The document below lists exemptions and the BB is not listed..
Like most B.I documents and instruction memos,they are confusing and sometimes misleading.. Best to check at a local B.I office just to be sure..
IMO you are probably exempt.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/images/images/ARP announcement2.jpg

Just a quick update for anyone interested. I went to the BI in Tagbilaran City on Monday. I did not have to get the ACR1 card, but I did need to register in the alien registration program. I thought I would have gotten something from them saying that I registered in the program, but they said ,no as long as I am still legally here in the country I am good. I guess if you exceed your visa then you get some alpha-numeric number and have to jump through some hoops? Of course this is coming from the same office that has a poster in the lobby stating that you only get either 7,14 or max 21 day visa on arrival and need to file for an extension before those days run out or you will be fined. I know for sure at least for Americans it's been changed to 30 days on arrival.
Registration was free, minus 50 pesos for a photo and I think 3 pesos for a copy of my passport bio page and page with my Balikbayan visa stamp.
I went and got my Filipino drivers license. They weren't going to give me one at first because I do not have an ACR1 card. But after talking to them and promising them that I am a bona fide registered alien, they took a copy of my Balikbayan visa page and gave me a license. Woohoo. It cost 2000 php for the fixer and 550 php for the mandatory drug test and medical check up. (just an eye exam and color blindness test)
I will post some more updates as I figure out ways to get more things done in the Philippines.
Next Herculean task: I want to buy a used scooter for my wife. I found the one I want, but of course there are some snags. It has an owners card and registration card, but the registration is two years expired. From what I could find online the penalty is 200 php per MONTH the registration is late. That is for cars, not sure about scooters.
Stay safe all you PPDs and thanks for the help and info. Hopefully in the next few days I will be 20 meters underwater!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom