Apollo Bio-filter, pro/cons??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is a really bad idea to run moisture through the normally dry parts of your second stage even in warm water. In cold water, it is just asking for a second stage freeze up.

I have a serious dry mouth problem. I just let some lake/cave/ocean water in my mouth when its bugging me, swish it around and spit it back out. Yes, there may be some nasty bacteria in the water or whatever but I promise you'll get some in your mouth anyway if not while you're diving then when you're sitting on the surface.

Flora:
I am thinking about getting the Apollo Bio-filter Mosture system. Its $200 and a big investment for a poor college student like me.

Does anyone use this? and if you do or have, what are the Pro and Cons of this.

Here is the site

http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm

Thanks. Flora

Flora: Here is another thread from this board on the Apollo bio-filter. We get a lot of positive feedback from divers who are using the bio-filter. Good dive stores deliver very dry air/gas and in turn that can cause sinus headache, dry throat and dry mouth, as well as dry lungs. In remote resort areas, the compressors, sometimes, are not as well maintained, the filter will pick up oil, dust, and rust.

www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1528889#post1528889

Two words - It's great!!!

I have the bio filter, its been the best birthday gift I have ever gotten. No more dry mouth. I can't say enough great things about it.

I was considering one until I met a guy who had one,and didn't use it anymore.
He claimed that in the begining it was better than sliced bread,no more dry mouth,no more salt water alternative.Then he claimed that all at once,the media jambed up and nearly completely stopped airflow,leaving him to complete his dive on his octopus.
He claimed to have learned two things from this,
1)Remove anything that could become a failure point with his breathing gas
2)Buy a good octopus(you never know when you might be breathing from it)
BTW he offered it to me for $50 if he could find it(said he may have thrown it in the garbage),but I took his advise to heart and I declined.

That does not make sense. He must have left something out of the story. There is no way that I can think of that the bio-filter can stop airflow. How did the "media" jam up? You put the moisturizer pad over a hard plastic tube that can not bend. That tube is covered by a metal housing that can not bend. I do agree about buying a good octo.

There you have it - people either love it or hate it depending on their perspective, priorities, etc.

For drymouth sufferers, try an old scubapro metal 2nd stage, the balanced adjustable. Or, an old G250 with a metal air barrel. It really works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom