Options For Replacement Filter Towers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I knew less back then what I know now... and that still aint much, lol.

I had already invested in a compressor that I "thought" would get me pumping but in reality I still needed a tower to dry the air. I was looking for the least expensive but viable option I could. AAW just popped up and I went with it.

I would have been much happier with something that went inside the frame, but oh well. Paying .003 cents per cf has it's perks vs changing filters more often.
I have been contorting (literally and metaphorically), trying to figure out how to get filtration inside my frame. I now realize that that is notably more difficult with my frame. It is significantly shorter that yours and has a mid-frame diagonal brace.

Since I found that there are repackable cartridges for the MCH6 housings, 2 in series is a little more attractive. 1st with just MS and 2nd with maybe 40% Charcoal then 60% Hopcalite.

With some extreme 3D plumbing, and either flex or SS-tube, I think I might be able to fit a the dryer vertically at the corner between the belt and 2nd-stage seperator then the purifier horizontally below the belts. My concern is the potential for channeling in the horizontal purifier if there is insufficient spring pressure.

Since I need to build a shroud anyway, I might be able to do one out of 1/4 and/or 3/16 6061 with a slightly reduced diameter at the fan end that would give me clearance for 2 vertical MCH6 housings next to the separators.

I have been contorting (literally and metaphorically), trying to figure out how to get filtration inside my frame. I now realize that that is notably more difficult with my frame. It is significantly shorter that yours and has a mid-frame diagonal brace.

Since I found that there are repackable cartridges for the MCH6 housings, 2 in series is a little more attractive. 1st with just MS and 2nd with maybe 40% Charcoal then 60% Hopcalite.

With some extreme 3D plumbing, and either flex or SS-tube, I think I might be able to fit a the dryer vertically at the corner between the belt and 2nd-stage seperator then the purifier horizontally below the belts. My concern is the potential for channeling in the horizontal purifier if there is insufficient spring pressure.

Since I need to build a shroud anyway, I might be able to do one out of 1/4 and/or 3/16 6061 with a slightly reduced diameter at the fan end that would give me clearance for 2 vertical MCH6 housings next to the separators.

If you can mount them inside that would be great, but it's really not an absolute. I don't think I 've ever seen a Rix with the tower inside the frame except for the one Iain posted. All the others have either been on the wall or on the same table that the compressor was on.

Mine is way too big, but I have a pelican case I want to mount it in. I can lay it down for transport and strap it to the top of my frame.

Their frame was bigger. :wink: Don't worry, I know that I am not normal. "Can't be done." = "Must find a way to do it."
I understand that feeling for sure.

At the end of the day the idea was to pump gas. Might not be the prettiest when I do it, but it works and I haven't needed an LDS for $25 bolt snaps in years now.

Why the need for internal (inside the frame) filtration? Why not external?

I did this to get something better than the tiny Bauer P0 (plus hyper-filters for OCA/PPB and an adjustable outlet pressure):

1678395802489.jpeg

1678395883340.jpeg

I can easily disconnect one line (JIC for the OEM fill whip), pull the compressor out of the cart, connect the fill whip, insert an actual Bauer P0 filter into the OEM vessel (currently holds an aftermarket cartridge with just 13x MS), and pump air (maybe OCA) wherever I get a place to plug in (including a generator)...

There have been a few tweaks to this, including a CO detection system....

Still working on a moisture blow-down trap....

I did this to get something better than the tiny Bauer P0 (plus hyper-filters for OCA/PPB and an adjustable outlet pressure):

View attachment 773641

View attachment 773642

I can easily disconnect one line (JIC for the OEM fill whip), pull the compressor out of the cart, connect the fill whip, insert an actual Bauer P0 filter into the OEM vessel (currently holds an aftermarket cartridge with just 13x MS), and pump air (maybe OCA) wherever I get a place to plug in...

Nice setup.. really clean.

Is there a way to purge the moisture from those (I'm assuming that's a Laurence factor tower)?

I need to clean mine up and organize things. It's an absolute mess compared to that.

Is there a way to purge the moisture from those (I'm assuming that's a Laurence factor tower)?
There is......
1678400196147.png

This, along with the Bauer P0 OEM bleeders will all be plumbed to a single moisture blow off trap. The hypers never saw water in the two years I ran them on the other compressor but can be bled off those knobs (recently updated).

Tower is from Northshore (actually from Jim Shelden - said he got them from there...). Takes "MAKO" cartridges.

Portablility. If this thing is going to sit in an "RV" or boat storage compartment, smaller is, quite simply, better! And that applies to the whole system. Anything sitting outside the frame is also subject to a higher risk of damage. Keeping everything "inside" will let let me create a protective case/shell that bears directly on the frame without the need for awkward standoff structures. Honestly, it also apples to home storage for now, which is an increasing issue.

If it finds its its way into an electric conversion for fixed mounting, it would be a completely different setup.

I think I'll have a long chat with the folks from Nuvair at Beneath the Sea in a couple weeks and get their input.

That is a beautiful setup!

View attachment 773641

View attachment 773642

I can easily disconnect one line (JIC for the OEM fill whip), pull the compressor out of the cart, connect the fill whip, insert an actual Bauer P0 filter into the OEM vessel (currently holds an aftermarket cartridge with just 13x MS), and pump air (maybe OCA) wherever I get a place to plug in...

Here is the CO detection system plumbing:

1678403887526.jpeg

(and you can see the fill whip output...)

and this detector:

1678403960973.jpeg

made here where I live...

In your case, I'm sure plumbed in QD fittings and a removeable bracket to hold the filters could easily (and artfully) be created...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom