Options For Replacement Filter Towers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anybody point me to something on the merits of upward vs. downward airflow for the filter stack?
Would horizontal be OK as long as the drain was at the low-point?

What kind of life are you getting out of your filter setup? I'm tinkering with an old Cornelius and looking at filter options.

Thanks for your time.
I haven't run it long enough yet to see filter life. I don't winter dive here in the frozen north anymore, so will have see.

I recently installed one of these: Visual Indicator Housing with CO & Moisture Elements

Has anyone got experience with this type of moisture / C0 indicator? I plan to log compressor run times and see when indicator suggests time is up vs through put on filters.

I never saw your tag to me....

I don't care if you share it. No guarantee attached to it...

Keep in mind the curve I fit the equation to was for the Bauer P0 cartridge data. I don't know if it translates to others...
Someone had suggested running the compressor for about an hr or so and measuring what the outside of the tower was with an ir gun, 18+ of ambient was pretty close.

Can anybody point me to something on the merits of upward vs. downward airflow for the filter stack?
Would horizontal be OK as long as the drain was at the low-point?
Horizontal will not work unless designed for it, I asked Iain and got a full report as to why that won't work. I think in my filter tower thread.

I haven't run it long enough yet to see filter life. I don't winter dive here in the frozen north anymore, so will have see.
the hotter it is out the less filter life. My hope is to get my banks up and running before it gets hot and bank on cooler days... but that's proving to be farther and farther away

Edit: attached @rhwestfall awesome spread sheet. This is where I'm currently at after changing filters in Dec.

Attachments

• Compressor Filter Life NEW.xlsx
    14.3 KB · Views: 77
I can't find an actual model #, but you can order direct from Mr. Randy at American Airworks. With current pricing I would think you'd be in the ballpark of $450-$475.

Filter is model # X542442

With the spreadsheet I have I've pumped 2,340cf in the last 3 months and I've only used a little under 11% of my filter. (That's based on temp+ increase over ambient).

It's a big tower, but overall way less expensive than alternatives. Like .003 cents / cf
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Understood. Thanks for the reply.
Please keep us updated if you have time and think about it.

Will do. See my edit to the post above.

I never saw your tag to me....

I don't care if you share it. No guarantee attached to it...

Keep in mind the curve I fit the equation to was for the Bauer P0 cartridge data. I don't know if it translates to others...
Actually I'm lying. I went back and looked at pictures the difference in filter tower vs ambient was just a hair under 10f. So I figure with the 18f you have plugged in I'm covered.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
Mr. Randy is also a member on here somewhere but I can't remember his call name. Very nice guy to deal with.

You can take the spreadsheet, plug in the right numbers, and throw some normal temperatures and times at it (based off of your compressor and how often you pump) to see what type of life you can get. The spreadsheet figures the tower is seeing 18F over what ambient is. You could even just plug in the cf rating for that filter in the top on mine and get an idea how long it would last for me if I was using it (but I couldn't find a cf rating for the other filter mentioned)

I recently installed one of these: Visual Indicator Housing with CO & Moisture Elements

Has anyone got experience with this type of moisture / C0 indicator? I plan to log compressor run times and see when indicator suggests time is up vs through put on filters.
I have one, honestly I don't really trust it. My disk has pretty much remained white since I installed it (I did bleed my filter down a few times troubleshooting in the beginning). I know you can take them out and heat them up to get them to change blue again (so don't buy more than one, they'll last for years). I just never got around to it. After 2 years of using my 1st filter the little blue strip on the side of the actual filter wasn't even all the way used up yet... so who knows how well that stuff works.

You're better off tracking time and temp, but to each his own.

Old filter on the left (2 years old) New filter on the right fresh out of the package. I didn't keep the best track of run times and cf pumped in the 1st 2 years, so no idea where I was at with this filter. I just though it best to change filters sooner than later.

Edit: if I take what I pumped over the last quarter and spread that out over 2 years that means I was somewhere in the ballpark of 18,700 cf and that little blue strip was still very blue... now I really don't trust them.

Maybe they're good for a failsafe? Idk.

Attachments

• 20221209_151511.jpg
    20221209_151511.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 53
Horizontal will not work unless designed for it, I asked Iain and got a full report as to why that won't work. I think in my filter tower thread.

I understand with your AAW tower that would not work due to the coelescer and overall structure. (That design has pros and cons from what I see.) Actually the guru confirms "yes" for horizontal with an appropriate (err ... fallen) tower:
There I've fixed it for you. Horizontal HP filters on a SA-6 who would have thought. LOL

I should add to avoid confusion that the green tubes are where two (2) sidewinder missiles fit
and the black tubes on the back of the frame are the where two (2) stainless moly sieve repack cartriges fit, just in case anyone gets confused with what goes where.
Seek and ye shall find.

HSM-SA-6-mil-spec-RAF

View attachment 618620

View attachment 618621[/url]

I understand with your AAW tower that would not work due to the coelescer and overall structure. (That design has pros and cons from what I see.) Actually the guru confirms "yes" for horizontal with an appropriate (err ... fallen) tower:
Yeah, I knew less back then what I know now... and that still aint much, lol.

I had already invested in a compressor that I "thought" would get me pumping but in reality I still needed a tower to dry the air. I was looking for the least expensive but viable option I could. AAW just popped up and I went with it.

I would have been much happier with something that went inside the frame, but oh well. Paying .003 cents per cf has it's perks vs changing filters more often.

Back
Top Bottom