Miflex hose weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I swapped out my hoses with Miflex and for fun weighed both the Miflex and my old standard hoses. Note: weighing took place using a non-certified kitchen scale capable of Emperial-Metric conversions, so take the actual numbers with a grain of salt.

------------<Standard Hose> <Miflex Hose> <% difference>
<22" QD> <4 5/8 oz ; 132g> <3 7/8 oz ; 110g> <~17%>
<22" LP> <4 7/8 oz ; 140g> <3 ½ oz ; 102g> <~21%>
<60" LP> <10 ¼ oz ; 290g> <6 ¼ oz ; 178g> <~38%>

Henrik
(I wasn't able to find table formatting instructions for the board, so I hope the info is readable)

kitchen scale ... a grain of salt.

You should be more careful in your kitchen....or is that sea salt?:D

Thanks Henrik

c

The 6' primary miflex hose doesn't stay tucked in and instead constantly comes lose and floats around me like a halo (a serious PITA). Also the wrap around my neck, after 30 or 40 minutes of diving, looking this way and that, and generally enjoying the view, with the braided hose it kinda chafes my neck. For the shorter stuff like inflater hoses I'm very happy with the miflex, but for divers who use a tech rig miflex on the primary is less than efficient.

You should be more careful in your kitchen....or is that sea salt?:D

Funny you should ask - I really do use sea salt :wink:

In10se: as you see I use a 5' hose that I don't tuck, so I haven't experienced any of the problems you have. The 5' Miflex actually wraps nicer around my neck than the standard hose did. The loop behind my head on the standard hose would always float up and catch on the first stage.

Henrik

I got to see some Miflex hoses last month and they are quite nice and feel really light. They should be good for stage/deco regs.

I read on another Miflex thread that they're working on a new version and they have prototype HP hoses in development. I think I'm going to wait for that. I hope they make a 6" or 9" HP hose.

but for divers who use a tech rig miflex on the primary is less than efficient.

Couldn't disagree more.

When you say your 6' hose "doesn't stay tucked" is that simply stuffed into your belt?

I dive a 7' Miflex hose and have no problem whatsoever with it; I route it down and behind a can light.

Couldn't disagree more.

When you say your 6' hose "doesn't stay tucked" is that simply stuffed into your belt?

I dive a 7' Miflex hose and have no problem whatsoever with it; I route it down and behind a can light.
I run my primary hose with the typical behind the belt, behind the chest strap config that works fine with a traditional lp hose. With the miflex no mater how I tuck it in it just works itself out and gets to wandering around.

How do you rig your can light? I keep mine on my bp instead of on my belt so there is no option for me to rig it behind the can without compromising deplyoment efficiency. I'd be interested in a way to run mine where it didn't come lose.

Edit --------

I see on your gallery your appear to use a cummerbund or some kind of very wide weight system. I only have the 2" webbing from my waist belt and the slender chest strap to work with. You get a bonus with the way you have your kit.

I see on your gallery your appear to use a cummerbund or some kind of very wide weight system. I only have the 2" webbing from my waist belt and the slender chest strap to work with. You get a bonus with the way you have your kit.

???

I wear a standard one-piece hog harness with no weight at all. Can light on the right side of the waist belt.

What is a "typical behind the belt, behind the chest strap" config. Don't understand the chest strap part.

???

I wear a standard one-piece hog harness with no weight at all. Can light on the right side of the waist belt.

What is a "typical behind the belt, behind the chest strap" config. Don't understand the chest strap part.
How is that hard to understand?

SSback.gif

Under the chest strap, under the belt, back up under the chest strap.

I see now that the pic in your gallery is not of you but someone else wearing that tank roller gadget. My bad. None the less, since I post my can on my bp I cannot rig the miflex like you do yours. It will not stay put and is always floating away as a result. If I'm just moving forward it's not such a problem, but if I'm doing any photography then all that movement works the miflex out every time.

Post a pic if you you don't mind so I can see just how you have yours rigged.

How is that hard to understand?

SSback.gif

Under the chest strap, under the belt, back up under the chest strap.

I see now that the pic in your gallery is not of you but someone else wearing that tank roller gadget. My bad. None the less, since I post my can on my bp I cannot rig the miflex like you do yours. It will not stay put and is always floating away as a result. If I'm just moving forward it's not such a problem, but if I'm doing any photography then all that movement works the miflex out every time.

Post a pic if you you don't mind so I can see just how you have yours rigged.
Are you saying here that you run the hose under the chest strap? I must be misreading because if so, how would you ever deploy in a timely fashion....

I have all miflex and have no floaty problems. I do agree that it can be more abrasive on the neck, but I am almost always wearing a hood or hooded vest, so not a big issue for me...

Back
Top Bottom