Octo or Second stage !!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarekaly

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I have a picture of an unknown diver that looks like that,

Did you notice both the second stage and the octo are both Aqualung Calypso/Titan Octo!!

I am new to diving But I need to know:

Is it OK to do that ??
Does Padi approve that ??
Should his Instructor warn him about that ??
Does the regulator manufacturers approve that ??

I need you to enlighten me
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN OCTO AND 2ND STAGE TECHNICALLY?

Last edited by a moderator:
On lower end or even just older regs, the octo tends to breathe like crap. My instructor has a handful of well taken care of octos and integrated octos....suffice to say I don't like them. Most newer and/or higher end (haven't been diving long enough to know if this has always been true) companies basically just put a yellow hose and purge cover on one of their second stages and call it an octo. Inside, they are the same. I can't view the picture, but it sounds like a diver was using two octos, one as their primary, one as their backup. Aqualung sells this reg as a primary second stage, and as an octo, the octo being exactly the same, just yellow. There is absolutely no prob with this, as long as his buddy is familiar with his setup.
For what it's worth, I went the other way. I call my color scheme '88 sades of gray'...which only applies if you call black a shade of gray. I didn't want to use a yellow octo, so my backup is a Scubapro R-190. My girlfriend, she likes the yellow, and asked me to replace her LP hoses with the yellow. Like a good boyfriend, I comlplied. We do get some silly looks when we go out diving, but we're comfortable with each other's setup, and they are safe, so, they work for us.
I guess the very long-winded moral is that you should do what feels comfortable and is safe for you.:D

An octo is usually just a cheaper second stage, but divers often use identical second stages, especially if they're going to be donating the primary and breathing off the secondary in an OOA situation. The biggest things wrong in the picture are the octos and consoles dangling, where they could be damaged, entangled, or cause damage to the reef.

When you buy a new regulator set you typically get a first stage and only one second stage......

Many manufactures offer a second stage by itself (with a yellow cover and some times a yellow hose) to be purchased with the regulator set as listed above and call it an octo........

There are some second stages that are only available as an octo...........

In the case of the Calypso/Titan they are decent second stages, my son dives a Titan.................

You can find very good octos and you can also find inexpensive octos..............

For example Aqualung Legend Regulator and the Legend Octo.........same second stage.

Hope this helps..................M

The hanging octo is the issue here.............it needs to be stowed properly

Attachments

• Aqualung Legend Reg.jpg
    Aqualung Legend Reg.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Aqualung Legend Octo.jpg
    Aqualung Legend Octo.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 212
Having a lower performance second stage as a "octo" or backup regulator doesn't make much sense. The backup/octo is going to be used in a situation where the person using it is likely to be under stress and shouldn't be receiving a second-rate regulator.

As for the picture, the colour of regs doesn't necessarily indicate performance. There are so many other issues with the setup that regulator colour is low on the list.

As long as the people you are diving with are aware and comfortable with your setup, you can use what works best for you.

View attachment 56751
Aaaaugh! My eyes! My eyes!

Is it OK to do that??
Only in specially designated drift line fishing zones.

Does Padi approve that??
Yes, for a fee. The class is now online.

Should his Instructor warn him about that??
See previous answer.

Do the regulator manufacturers approve that??
Yes! Buy all you want, then fill them with gravel and sand. We'll make more.

THE NAME.

I own an Apeks regulator with two ATX50 second stages. One has a black cover, one a yellow cover. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Happy St. Patrick's Day,
Bryan

In my personal opinion, an "octo" is nothing more than a redundant second stage.

If my primary second stage were to fail, methinks, perhaps, that I would like for my alternate second stage to function just as well as my primary second stage.

Just remember, at some point in a diver's life his "OCTO" may just become her/his dive buddy's PRIMARY second stage. One can develop all sorts of scenarios around this possibility.

But that just me . . .

the K

Hi,

Did you notice both the second stage and the octo are both Aqualung Calypso/Titan Octo!!

I am new to diving But I need to know:

Is it OK to do that ?? Absolutely

Does Padi approve that ?? PADI's opinion should have no bearing.

Should his Instructor warn him about that ?? No, but someone should say something about the dangling octo.

Does the regulator manufacturers approve that ?? I don't see how they could disapprove.

I need you to enlighten me

The Calypso/Titan octo is identical to the Titan second stage except for the yellow cover and yellow hose.

Last edited:
An "Octo" IS a second stage.

As long as the regulator delivers sufficient performance, the fact that it may have some yellow parts makes no difference.

Back
Top Bottom