Upgrade to a Modern Doublehose Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldmossback

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Several months ago I posted a question whether there was an interest in a new Modern double hose regulator and what refinements that would entail. I received many replies and consolidated these into a determination of a good product.

I have, for the last two years, been working on the heart of a new regulator and through this effort I have a prototype 1st stage housing that presently is compatible with the RAM and DA. This is not my final design however, as this prototype, I call the Mk 3, will morph into a different unit, the Mk 4, that is not compatible with the RAM or DA. Note: I have a patent pending for the Mk3 for a couple of unique ideas, however , the core of the piece is conventional.

I first dove the first Mk 3 modified RAM prototype, in June of this year, and it is currently being tested by a reputable supplier of vintage equipment and another trusted evaluator.

In the coming months there is soon to be an available drop-in 1st stage unit replacement kit! This will be an assemble yourself kit, (or have a qualified dive repair station do this for you). It changes the appearance of the RAM's and DA's slightly, providing what is considered a more clean and modern configuration. Yoke-to-DIN compatible, there are no clocking problems as the 4 LP ports and 1 HP port are fixed in place. This design, patent pending, is specifically to upgrade the USD double hose regulators from vintage to Modern specifications. Measured from the can surface to the nozzle lip, this unit is only .028 inches longer than the original RAM 1st stage housing including the original balanced nozzle.

This offer is not just addressing the vintage diver as the Phoenix nozzle has proven to handle their needs quiet well. This post is mainly for the regular modern diver and especially divers in England, Europe, Canada, Australia and New Zealand and other countries with divers who have or would like to have a acceptable Modern configuration double hose regulator that meets the current requirements for diving from charter boats with their scuba clubs, etc.

These photos of the second test dive show this unit as well as the photo of the 1st working prototype on a steel 71.2 cu ft tank. Note: this unit is approved up to 232 bar.

Final testing, evaluations are underway now. Keep watch for reports coming soon from the forum at Vintage Scuba Supply.com.

The first 10 units will be sold as “Buy Now”on Ebay UK, AU and Canada, or you can buy direct from Single Star Republic. I hope to have these ready by Nov. or Dec.

Cost will be $245.00 per kit. Kit includes: 1st stage body, yoke, yoke nut, all HP internal parts, IP parts. You supply the IP spring, nut, adjustment nut, lever and parts, 2nd stage barrel, spring and seat off your regulator.

Last edited:
Interesting, any info on the internals such as the HP parts (AL- SP...who? ).

I'm currently using aqua lung parts........

I believe it wasw Aqua Lung that had the Mistral out a few years ago. It didn't sell and was discontinued.
You can try; Vintage Double Hose or Vintage Scuba Supply - Antique Diving Gear Two Hose Regulators

It didn't sell because it was a cludge of parts that were not well thought out and did not work well underwater. Had AL pulled the old drawings out of the file cabinet and offered a reproduction it would have sold alot better.

I'm currently using aqua lung parts........

How about photos of the inside of the cans and of the kit dissambled.

This offer is not just addressing the vintage diver as the Phoenix nozzle has proven to handle their needs quiet well. This post is mainly for the regular modern diver and especially divers in England, Europe, Canada, Australia and New Zealand and other countries with divers who have or would like to have a acceptable Modern configuration double hose regulator that meets the current requirements for diving from charter boats with their scuba clubs, etc.

Just wondering, what does this conversion do that the phoenix has not already done? It's nice to see more interest in doublehose regs, but I'm not sure how this one differs in concept. When you say "meets current requirements...charters..." I assume you're talking about the ability to attach alternate 2nd stage, SPG, etc, and the phoenix does that, and provides a balanced modern 1st stage mechanism serviced with current AL parts. How is this different?

What does this device solve that the current model of Phoenix does not?

I, too, am interested in how this "new" design trumps the Phoenix. Can you be a bit more specific as to its unique, or innovative features?

The pending patents will be intriguing as well...Especially when one considers that the original Aqua Lung valve system was not issued a patent. The only part of Cousteau/Gagnan's device that was granted a patent was for the exhalation system. The gas delivery system was a slightly modified version of a propane regulator used on automobiles during the "Big One", and years immediately thereafter.

Greg Barlow

Well yes...I am interested in several of the comments.

The PRAM does not really address vintage diving needs - reproduction parts do that. The PRAM addresses the needs of modern divers by providing LP and HP ports for modern accessories.

The only advantage I see so far is an OAL only .028 onger than a RAM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom