Froze up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gauged4Go0d

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
HELP! I just had my equipment serviced last weekend and every thing was in working order; or so I thought. Last week, I dove @ Hudson Gratto, only to find that I was losing air tremendously due to a leaking first stage. When I got back home, I had the LDS check it and tune it for me.

Tonight, I was heading out to Hospital Hole. As we suited up and I checked everything for a go, my regulator was not giving me any air. Would anyone have the slightest idea what may have happened? Like I said, it was serviced last week before a dive, then I dive and was working fine. Then, tonight, it did not want to let me inhale.

My best guess is you have a really poor reg tech. While every tech makes a mistake once in a while it should not be a common occurance either. I hate to say it but my best suggestion is to find another tech and have it gone through correctly. Without having the reg in my hands, a diagnosis of what is wrong is almost impossible.

HELP! I just had my equipment serviced last weekend and every thing was in working order; or so I thought. Last week, I dove @ Hudson Gratto, only to find that I was losing air tremendously due to a leaking first stage. When I got back home, I had the LDS check it and tune it for me.
Leaking first stage as in bad tank 0 ring to tank valve connection or loose hose connection?
Or perhaps you mean a free flowing 2nd stage and not a problem with the 1st stage?
Tonight, I was heading out to Hospital Hole. As we suited up and I checked everything for a go, my regulator was not giving me any air. As in it has a weak or no purge? Or it would not draw air when you inhaled from the mouthpiece? Would anyone have the slightest idea what may have happened? Like I said, it was serviced last week before a dive, then I dive and was working fine. Then, tonight, it did not want to let me inhale.
Perhaps the tank valve handle spins but doesn't open the valve? Did your spg indicate a full tank?
Did you have pressure in the hoses? Did your guage fluctuate when purgeing your octopuss? Did your octopuss breath properly?

I'm with Herman . Sounds like another tank fill qualified dive shop employee working on a scuba regulator with poor results.
I botched my reply above, and I will restart here to try to help you.
But firstly, are you describing your problem correctly?
Perhaps you actually meant to say that your 2nd stage was free flowing?
And when your repair was performed you no longer have any purge in your 2nd stage?
Or if you had an air loss in your 1st stage was it from your 0 ring between the tank valve and the regulator air inlet? Or from a loose hose connection, or from a 1stage assembly point?
If you can't get any air from your 2nd stage is it because there is no pressurization of your hoses when you open the tank valve, or because the purge of the regulator 2nd stage has been adjusted completely away? Did your octo regulator/ power inflator work properly? SPG show a full tank?

In addition to the above, go back to the shop and speak with the owner about the quality of service especially if in deed the second time around made it worse. The other which I suggest everyone do before leaving a shop with their newly serviced regs. Hook them up to a cylinder and make sure they work dry. Then, if possible dump them in the pool and make they are performing okay as well.

Sorry, I thought that I had mentioned something about checking everything out before the dive and it being a go, with the exception of the regulator. It was definitely not free-flowing; I could blow out air but not inhale any. When I hooked the octo up to the tank and bc. I opened up the tank and saw the gauge pressurize, followed by filling the bc w/ air and then checked the back-up reg... all was a go. I proceeded to check the primary regulator and it would not purge nor let me inhale; the diaphram would close blocking the passageway in the event I tried to inhale. I'm having bad luck w/ barrowed equipment from whom had it for many years w/o issues.
When I picked up the equipment from being serviced, the back-up reg was missing a piece from the diaphram gaurd. The shop said they were responsible for it and had the part on order but it would be fine as long as I kept it out of harms way. Then, the initial dive, the first stage was leaking some. So I had them adjust that the next day. It still has a very minut leak but it isn't serious. I spoke w/ another shop and they had mentioned that the first stage leak is normal. It's a Cressi, they had mentioned that they did that to keep from getting moisture inside. Ok? In the meantime, more of the back-up regs diaphram gaurd has broken off, so for now. I just taped it off and covered it up until they can take care of it. Today, while rinsing all of the equipment, I noticed one of the fins had a big cut in it... as if it were slashed w/ a box cutter. Man, what have I gotten in to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom