Froze up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the primary which is not allowing me to inhale
cressi.jpg

This on has the yellow piece almost completely gone
a1oct02.jpg

I can't really say bad things about the shop. Everyone in the area speaks highly of them and my family has been dealing w/ them for years, w/ nothing but good things to say about them. Maybe, I just happen to be catching them on an off day. I probably will be changing shops though, as I had recently found one more local and actually went and met the owners and spoke w/ them for a bit. They seemed very friendly and knowledgeable. Tried anything and everything to get me to not just come in and spend a whole bunch of money.

This is the primary which is not allowing me to inhale
View attachment 97802

This on has the yellow piece almost completely gone
View attachment 97803
I think Jim Lapenta was requesting pics of the actual reg setup in question -- not stock photos downloaded from some other source on the Internet.

Detailed photos showing the reg assembled and the missing/broken pieces on the 2nd stages would be helpful.

If the purge cover is damaged/lost, you really should purchase a replacement cover. I would think that any Cressi dealer should be able to order the part for you.

Second stages are fairly simple gadgets. Blocked inhalation is an obvious issue. Troubleshooting it should be rather straightforward.

My comments regarding diagnosis of the reg issues assume that you have already ruled out other possible "upstream" problems, namely issues with the tank valve and tank.

I don't know if I'd give the dive shop another shot at fixing the reg. It's pretty clear that a competent reg tech hasn't been working on your regs.

I can't really say bad things about the shop.

I have to admit, it's hard for me to understand exactly what happened based on your posts, but if I'm catching the drift, you took a reg in for servicing, got it back damaged (2nd stage cover), they even said they damaged it, then tried it, it didn't work right, then brought it back, it got more damaged, and now it doesn't work at all. Is that about right?

This is why I service my own gear and always get a kick out of the ridiculous dive industry mantra about getting your "life support" "professionally" serviced at the dealer every year. Maybe you can't say anything bad about this shop, but I sure could if this happened to me. If I've misread, I apologize.

When they damaged your reg they should have IMMEDIATELY given you a loaner reg until they fixed yours....although in retrospect maybe they would have "fixed" it even better!:shakehead:

The thing is, no dive business sells/represents every brand. Many components are brand and model specific and not available anywhere except from the manufacturer or a dive business that sells and services that brand.
Access to proper training, specific tools, repair schematics and service bulletins are only important if you want the job completed correctly the first time.
If your local dive shop doesn't sell the brand you own ask to see their service technicans certificate before dropping your reg off for service. The Ford dealer might be able to work on your Chevy but why would you take it there?
And home dentistry often ends poorly.

The thing is, no dive business sells/represents every brand. Many components are brand and model specific and not available anywhere except from the manufacturer or a dive business that sells and services that brand.
Access to proper training, specific tools, repair schematics and service bulletins are only important if you want the job completed correctly the first time.
If your local dive shop doesn't sell the brand you own ask to see their service technicans certificate before dropping your reg off for service.

Yeah, well, according to the dive gear industry the "proper" training is a one-or-two day seminar that nobody fails and the only qualification for entry is that you work at a dive shop. Some 'certification' for working on crucial life support gear, huh?

Comparing working on regulators to dentistry is rather absurd....dentists go school for years, take rigorous exams, have peer-reviewed qualifications, etc...a dive shop 'tech' may be excellent, or may be horrible like the guy in this very thread, and you have no way of knowing.

The problem here is not that the guy took his reg to a dealer that doesn't sell Cressi regs, its that the dive shop has an incompetent tech and a low standard of customer service.

DIY reg service is really more comparable to something like a brake job or rebuilding a faucet. Sure, there are many folks who should not attempt either of those tasks and most of them know their limitations. But divers who have no problem with tasks like that should have no problem with their regulators if they can find parts and a bit of assistance to get started.

Suggesting it is comparable to dentistry is a gross misrepresentation. The kind of thing some scuba professionals might use to coerce divers into paying excessive fees to local technicians for often unnecessary service

And yes... the same dive shop that services the equipment, is the same dive shop that the equipment was purchased from.

Doesn't matter. They let you walk out of there with unsafe gear. That negates any good will I would have towards them. Did they offer to loan you an octo? I would have if you gave it to me to service and I knew you were going to be diving. They screwed the pooch on this one. And the other poster was correct, I wanted to see pics of the actual regs and if possible the primary with the face plate removed. The octo should never have been allowed out of the shop with the cover missing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom