Servicing your own Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
I just purchased a XS- Tri Metal and it got me thinking. What if I wanted to learn how to service my own gear. How would I go about this? Where does one learn this other then tinkering on your own stuff. Great if I was loaded but I dont want to break it. Vendor training I assume?

You can learn on your own, if you have some basic mechanical ability, a strong desire to learn, and pay strick attention to detail.

Start with some reading:

Scuba Tools - Regulator Savvy Book

and

SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow

If you can buy only one book, I'd recommend Vance Harlow's, but reading both will increase your understanding.

Then, try to find the repair manual for your regulator:

http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/

Then, ask lots of questions here, "the natives are friendly". :)

There will be an investment in some tools and gauges, but it probably will not break the bank.

Best wishes.

Thanks a TON!

I agee with LT, the books are the best place to start. Buy, read and understand both books. The $100 or so you spend on them will easily be recooped on your first rebuild.

The XS first stage is basically a Scubapro MK-5 clone. The XS manuals are on line somewhere, I have a copy but don't have a clue where I got them. I am a manual junkie and never pass up downloading one.
A good second step would be to find a used MK-5 for a few dollars and learn to rebuild it. All the mechanics are the same and there are a lot of MK-5 fans here that can help you along. You may end up finding that you like a MK-5 with a 109 second better to boot. The second is a pretty standard design, almost all of the balanced, adjustable seconds on the market today are very close in design. If you can find a used balanced second, the service basics are the same.

For that reg in addition to normal bench tools, you will need a pin spanner and a bullet tool. Both are fairly inexpensive and the bullet tool can me easily home made.

Start with the Harlow book, and after you get a feel of the trade, order the other one from Scubatools along with some tools: that'll save you some postage. A bullet tool is handy, an IP gauge is mandatory if you don't have one, and you can get Christo-Lube from them too.

Welcome to The Dark Side.

Any one know where I can get the front rubber cover for an Aqualung Legend Supreme ACD 2nd stage...Where the metal emblem "Legend" fits in ??...Reg works fine but the rubber under the gold metal ring is torn....Thanks...PM me....

Any one know where I can get the front rubber cover for an Aqualung Legend Supreme ACD 2nd stage...Where the metal emblem "Legend" fits in ??...Reg works fine but the rubber under the gold metal ring is torn....Thanks...PM me....

You'll have to find a LDS that is an Aqualung dealer that will sell it to you. AL won't sell it to you direct.

You'll need part # 129172 - Purge Cover. as a note, it's the same for the regular Legend, the LX, and the LX Surpreme.

reference

AL-Legend-LX-parts-diagram.jpg

Maybe, if you can't find a shop that will sell you just the cover, you might be able to find one that will rent you one.:shocked2:

If you can't get anyone to sell you the part, I'd try to fabricate something out a rubber duck and then incorporate one of those noise-makers that attach to the LP hose. You could rig it up to the exhaust so it quacks every time you purge. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom