Thoughts on this setup? Apeks XTX50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian2828

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in a new area and went into the LDS that I would like to become the main shop that I use. I have been researching regulators for a while but hadn't really considered an Apeks. I mostly travel to dive and most diving will be summer temperate and tropical water in recreational conditions. I'm looking for super durable, easy to maintain and ultra reliable. Cost is a secondary consideration.

After discussing my diving needs, the shop owner recommended the following:

Apeks XTX50
Aqualung Airsource 3
adaptor for for Airsource 3 to my BC (Zeagle Stiletto)
Suunto compass on lanyard
brass pressure gauge (I have a wrist computer for depth information)

The package he is offering is $850

From what I can tell from researching online, the price seems reasonable. I was surprised that he recommended just the single pressure gauge but I do find the reduced bulk appealing.

It would be very convenient to have this shop handle all of my diving needs but my research generally favored Scubapro and Atomic (closest dealer is 25 minutes away). Scubapro also seems to be much more widely available so I would think may be more easily serviced in remote travel locations. I'd appreciate any general thoughts about my rationale for going with Apeks and this shop, as wel as specifics about the package.

Thanks

Can't comment on the price but the Apeks line hits all your needs for reliable, durable and easy to maintain.
Personally I'd go for a regular 2nd stage backup and a wrist compass.

I also can't comment on the price, but the Apeks is a solid reg and should be easy to find support because it is resold through Aqualung here. The airsource is fine. I used an SS1 for a long time and was happy with it. Just be sure to practice switching to it for out of air drills if you've not used that style before. I also recommend putting a longer hose on the primary reg as this one will be donated.

If you are mainly a vacation diver in nice warm places, you could also look at the Apeks flight. If you like it, see if you can try it in the pool. Due to the small size, some people complain that there is bubble interference from the exhaust. Others don't have the problem or don't care.

I paid $500 for my XTX50 stage set up (no alternate air source). Sounds like a good deal to me.

hypertech, this is the second thread that I have been into in as many days where you are getting great prices on your equipment. What is your secret? :)

I guess it just comes down to putting in time, which I am usually not willing to do.

I paid $500 for my XTX50 stage set up (no alternate air source). Sounds like a good deal to me.

hypertech, this is the second thread that I have been into in as many days where you are getting great prices on your equipment. What is your secret? :)

I guess it just comes down to putting in time, which I am usually not willing to do.

I didn't say anything about price in this thread? Actually, I said I can't comment on price - I've never priced out an airsource so I don't know what a good price is on one.

FWIW, I used to live in MN and Aquaventure generally had pretty good prices. The next time you are up in the cities you could drop by and check them out.

After discussing my diving needs, the shop owner recommended the following: Apeks XTX50, Aqualung Airsource 3, adaptor for for Airsource 3 to my BC (Zeagle Stiletto), Suunto compass on lanyard, brass pressure gauge

I agree with Fishpie - the Apeks line is a very good choice. I can't say that Scubapro or Atomics offer any better reliability. And, I don't think you find any difference in availability of service for Apeks compared to Scubapro in travel destinations. Frankly, if that was a concern, I would buy a first stage and second stage parts kit for the XTX50 and carry it with me when traveling (I do that for my Zeagle and Apeks regs). I agree with the shop owner, a simple 'brass' SPG is fine, especially when you have a computer for depth. When you refer to a compass 'on a lanyard', I presume you mean on a retractor. There are people who really are opposed to retractors as 'failure points' and entanglement hazards. I like having a compass on a retractor, although I now use a wrist mount (since I left my compass dangling one time while I was using a DPV), which is a bit cheaper.

As for the combined octo/inflator, divers either like them or they don't (I do not). Again agreeing with Fishpie, I would go with a 'standard' octo second stage. It would also be more serviceable than a combo unit when traveling, and simply offers more versatility. Any additional 'streamlining' associated with the combination is virtually non-existent.

As for the price - not bad. I would try to get it for $750, but the $850 price is not bad for brand new gear. (Of course, I wouldn't buy brand new gear anyway.)

I was referreing to the offered price of $850, sounds like a good deal to me. I have 2 XTX50 regs, and one XTX300 (essentially the same) and they work just as well in the Caribbean as on an ice dive in Minnesota.

XTX-50(with DS-4 1st stage) + XTX-20(octo) + wrist mount compass + simple spg.
Alternative to Apeks would be Hog or Hollis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom