Oceanic Omega3 Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how close it is to Poseidon's design, they said it was an "inline diaphragm" I am curious if they were talking about their first or second stage. unsurprisingly, it looks like Hollis has a very similar looking one, I wonder if they have any difference in design.

I wonder how close it is to Poseidon's design

How close is it to the original Omega which dates back to mid 80s. A downstream servo/pilot assisted design with a diaphragm including an integrated exhaust valve?

Attractive modern look.

N

The only complaint I had was the omega II was a wet breather. Not being too fond of sea water , yuck! Oh, and when ice diving the wet could freeze...but after that I found a leak in the mouth piece. It doesn't appear to have an aexternal djustable breathing adjustment. I drilled a small hole through the purge valve so I could quickly tweak it.

The only complaint I had was the omega II was a wet breather...

I still use the original Omega because I haven’t found anything better. Yours is a common complaint leveled against all side exhaust regulators that aren’t on a FFM. They require a slightly different technique to expel water. You have to lean slightly to the exhaust side. They are no more wet breathers than conventional regulators when you are upside-down or laying on your side.

hookay, heres the low down. The inline first stage is pretty cool, it's cald the FDX-I. It's a redesigned FDX-10 (Oceanic's flagship 1st stage), it's been turned inline, trimmed down, and uses the same internal parts. In summary It's smaller, lighter, and due to the shorter distance the air has to travel it actually performs better! The second stage internal workings are the same as the Omega II, well because it just works. The dual diaphragm design (formaly the exhalation diaphragm was within the inhalation) has been reversed, helping the old wet breathing thing. I can't say eliminate, because I haven't had a chance to dive it yet. Also, a venturi feature has been added to keep it from freeflowing upon entry. The Hollis version differs in having seperate inhalation exhalation diaphragms, has and exhaust diverter to get the bubbles further from your face. And thats the only similarity to the Poseidon Extream. The Hollis also comes with a swivel.
Both the Omega 3 and the 500SE are downstream designs, so unlike poseidon they don't require an over pressure valve.
They are supposed to release at the end of the month, and I can't wait to try them! Sorry Chris. :wink: (I promis to still use my 6 hogs)

I recently purchased a used Omega (One) second stage off E-bay to backup my Omega from 1983. I didn’t service that regulator in almost 30 years just to see how it would hold up — except washing, checking IP, and replacing mouthpieces. I am glad to hear that the guts are virtually the same since I have lots of spares… not that I have had to use any until last year. Great regulator.

I also used it on surface supplied air so inlet pressure to the second stage varied between 100 and 180 PSI over bottom pressure. It worked fine with the caveat that you need really good filtration so that tiny hole in the servo valve diaphragm doesn’t get clogged.

I just spoke with Oceanic tech support about some computer parts and asked about the Omega III. He reiterated pretty much everything Joe Bailey wrote. Not much is in inventory yet so it isn’t on the Oceanic and Hollis web sites yet.

I specifically asked about the supply-side internal parts and he confirmed they are the same/identical/interchangeable… which is great news since it is so well proven (and I have a box full of spares I never had to use). He was tech support so I didn’t bother him with pricing. I probably wasted too much of his time as it was.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom