Upgrading Atomic B1 Second Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A.G.Pennypacker

Registered
Reaction score
My LDS gave me a decent rate on the new B2 swivel hose and M1 exhaust T as replacements to my original fittings on my Atomic B1 Second Stage. The replacement of the second stage hose with swivel was a piece of cake, but I am wondering how to remove the old Exhaust T from my old reg. I figure once I get it off replacement with new should be fairly straight foreward. Does any have any experience removing the old t and replacing it with the new one (M1) model?

IT pretty easy. If you face the second state with the purge towards you and the exhaust ports down, you will notice two little notches (one on each side of the reg) right along the line where the exhaust tee meets the reg (about the 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions) on the front cover/purge. Pop a little screwdriver in there a twist and it will pop open and pivot off.

I realize thats not a great description, so if you need me to post a diagram I will.

Otter:
IT pretty easy. If you face the second state with the purge towards you and the exhaust ports down, you will notice two little notches (one on each side of the reg) right along the line where the exhaust tee meets the reg (about the 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions) on the front cover/purge. Pop a little screwdriver in there a twist and it will pop open and pivot off.

I realize thats not a great description, so if you need me to post a diagram I will.

Thanks..your are right it was pretty easy and with a just a small smear of silicone grease the M1-exhaust T went on smoothly. Alas...now when I exhale from the 2nd stage a get a slight harmonic vibrating noise which is quite disturbing. I doubled checked the new T but it looks like it went on perfectly all the seams are quite close and notches are in place in the back. Not quite sure why I would get this noise, maybe it is time to send to atomic?

A.G.Pennypacker:
Thanks..your are right it was pretty easy and with a just a small smear of silicone grease the M1-exhaust T went on smoothly. Alas...now when I exhale from the 2nd stage a get a slight harmonic vibrating noise which is quite disturbing. I doubled checked the new T but it looks like it went on perfectly all the seams are quite close and notches are in place in the back. Not quite sure why I would get this noise, maybe it is time to send to atomic?

You're only getting the noise above water, right? Below water, you should not be getting it. When I exhale dry, my M-1 Tee does the same thing... sort of whistles.

In the water, it rocks.

K

Mo2vation:
You're only getting the noise above water, right? Below water, you should not be getting it. When I exhale dry, my M-1 Tee does the same thing... sort of whistles.

In the water, it rocks.

K

Exactly...I can't wait to check it out at depth. I appreciate the input from both you guys.

A.G.Pennypacker:
Exactly...I can't wait to check it out at depth. I appreciate the input from both you guys.

I want to says thanks to those that responded to my query on upgrading Atomic B1 to essentially a B2 (with M1 exhaust T). I tested it in a florida cavern today, down to a about 100 ft and found the reg work perfectly....no funny noises at all. Breathing was smooth as silk, the M1 T does a marvelous job of deflecting bubbles away from the front of your mask. The ball swivel does not seem to restrick air flow in the slightest and it is nice to have the second stage slightly negative for once. For the most part you get what you pay for in Scuba Equipment.

I also used my Suunto Stinger (sold my Versa Pro, never really trusted the thing) for the first time. I worked really well, just the right size, well designed and easy to use. A little conservative, as everyone on this board has mentioned, but I like it that way. I tend to push things anyway.. and something that restrains me a little can't be all bad.

My new ScubaPro Framless is just too wide for my face and will probably keep it and pass it on to a fellow friend or diver.
I just stick with my Oceanic Shadow, even though I am forced to shave everyday to get a real tight fit. I heard that trident makes a mustache wax which can help seal the mask. If not I will just stick with a slight smear of silicone grease around the seal, if I forget to shave!

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom