RE: replacing inflator hose mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skf0040

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I have a pretty old but well loved Oceanic BC that the inflator hose mount (the part glued in to the jacket) is cracked badly on. I already repaired it once with some aquaseal, but its beyond that now. Has anyone had any experience with replacing this piece? Even an expensive fix would be better than throwing out a well loved BC and buying a new one.

2012-07-29 11.24.59.jpg

thanks
steve

Hi,

I have a pretty old but well loved Oceanic BC that the inflator hose mount (the part glued in to the jacket) is cracked badly on. I already repaired it once with some aquaseal, but its beyond that now. Has anyone had any experience with replacing this piece? Even an expensive fix would be better than throwing out a well loved BC and buying a new one.

View attachment 130921

thanks
steve

The fitting that was welded to the bladder has failed. I see no way to safely repair it, sorry.

Tobin

I had quite some of those old BCDs on my work bench, broken on the same spot. Didn't find any solution for that so far. If you find somebody who finds a way to repair those damages, let us know. Sorry and good luck.

I've had success repairing elbow fitting and patching the hole left by the removal of old CO2 cartridge mechanisms. In fact, I just repaired and old BC using patches made from inner tube cutouts. The vinyl adhesive found in a waterbed repair kit works much better than the adhesive in an inner tube kit. For the elbow etc, I used the elbow kit, inner and outer flanges, and seals found at Northeast Scuba Supply: Corrugated Hoses - Elbows - Quick Dumps - Northeast Scuba Supply

First you'll have to beef up the bladder-preferably by placing a patch on the inside. Then add the elbow parts. Here is a link to where I posted pictures of a similar repair: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...966-bc-bladder-repair-update.html#post4749122 While you're at NESS, pick up the elbow/OPV tools: buy BC Hose Tool - Plastic at northeastscubasupply.com - Northeast Scuba Supply

Here's a repair from Doc Ed: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...966-bc-bladder-repair-update.html#post4749122

If you document your results with pictures that would be ace.

Good luck,

Couv

Thanks couv, I opted to replace the entire wing with a new Dive Rite Voyager Exp instead.
My previous wing was not very good quality and I wanted something I can rely on.
The feeling of the inflator hose coming of the mount is not something I want to experience in the ocean. It was unsettling enough when the old one broke on a pool training dive. I was glad I was only in a couple of metres of water at that moment.

Back
Top Bottom