Moisture munchers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone ever seen a blue one?
For father's day I was gifted a mini reefmaster that came with, I think, 1 moisture muncher. It was pink. The instructions said it should be blue and replaced when pink. I figured the store had it laying around for a long time. Anyway I decided I wanted to upgrade the camera to something with auto-focus and possibly a zoom. I decided on the DC800. The camera was delivered virtually from Sealife. It was shipped to the retailer in CA then shipped to me 1 day later. It had 4 moisture munchers. All pink. I found this odd and assume it had to come form Sealife already pink.

I assume these are silica based. Can they be rejuvenated in a warm dry environment Like an oven set to low?

Has anyone ever seen a blue one?
For father's day I was gifted a mini reefmaster that came with, I think, 1 moisture muncher. It was pink. The instructions said it should be blue and replaced when pink. I figured the store had it laying around for a long time. Anyway I decided I wanted to upgrade the camera to something with auto-focus and possibly a zoom. I decided on the DC800. The camera was delivered virtually from Sealife. It was shipped to the retailer in CA then shipped to me 1 day later. It had 4 moisture munchers. All pink. I found this odd and assume it had to come form Sealife already pink.

I assume these are silica based. Can they be rejuvenated in a warm dry environment Like an oven set to low?
There are two kinds. The litte blue tubes are blue when good, pink when not, and cannot be rejuvenated I don't think. And no matter how careful I am to open the ziplock in a air conditioned room and reseal it, the rest start turning. I figure on at least one new one a day, one new package per trip.

muncher_rt_220.jpg

The other kind is not for inside the camera housing, but for inside dry boxes, and can be rejuvinated.

muncher_left_220.jpg

More info here: Accessories | Moisture Munchers

And: Packet Moisture Munchers, Accessories: Cleaner, SeaLife, Packet Moisture Munchers

I have the first kind DD posted. They are blue, and pink after a few uses. I've read you can throw them in the oven or microwave to make them pink, but I've never actually done it.

When they absorb moisture they gradually (or not so gradually) turn pink. Sometimes you can rejuvinate them in an oven but the plastic tubes may melt so don't turn it up high. N

There is a way to rejuvenate Moisture Munchers.

1. Go to Home Depot and buy a container of "Damp Rid" - the small size, about a pint.
2. Open it up and insert your spent Moisture Munchers into the white material.
3. Put a piece of plastic wrap across the top and put the lid back on.
4. Put the container inside a big ziplock plastic bag (gallon size works best)
5. Let them sit for about a week or until you need them - pull them out and put them back into the bag they came out of. They will be DARK blue.

Steps 3 and 4 are necessary to preserve the Damp Rid - if you don't do it, the Damp Rid will suck moisture out of the air and be bad in a couple of weeks. Even though I think it can be rejuvenated in the oven - but I've never tried it.

I've probably rejuvenated 15 Moisture Munchers about 10 times each this way using the same container of Damp Rid - total cost about $5. And I've never seen even brand new Moisture Munchers this blue.

PS - DandyDon - have you ever tried upgrading the "firmware" on your Vivitar 5340s?

great ideas, thanks! Now, if I can only get my hands on a blue on form the start! :p

I have the first kind DD posted. They are blue, and pink after a few uses. I've read you can throw them in the oven or microwave to make them pink, but I've never actually done it.
I know that you can bake or nuke the packets, but the tubes....?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. I don't want to turn my oven on for such, the extra air conditioning would cost more than the tubes, but might try the short bursts in the microwave? Once it's pink, nothing to lose, as they're worthless at that stage.

Wow?! Response stampede...! :11:
There is a way to rejuvenate Moisture Munchers.

1. Go to Home Depot and buy a container of "Damp Rid" - the small size, about a pint.
2. Open it up and insert your spent Moisture Munchers into the white material.
3. Put a piece of plastic wrap across the top and put the lid back on.
4. Put the container inside a big ziplock plastic bag (gallon size works best)
5. Let them sit for about a week or until you need them - pull them out and put them back into the bag they came out of. They will be DARK blue.

Steps 3 and 4 are necessary to preserve the Damp Rid - if you don't do it, the Damp Rid will suck moisture out of the air and be bad in a couple of weeks. Even though I think it can be rejuvenated in the oven - but I've never tried it.

I've probably rejuvenated 15 Moisture Munchers about 10 times each this way using the same container of Damp Rid - total cost about $5. And I've never seen even brand new Moisture Munchers this blue.

PS - DandyDon - have you ever tried upgrading the "firmware" on your Vivitar 5340s?
Interesting idea on the Damp Rid. I'll save them next trip and try that when I get back.

Yeah, just posted about the firmware load on this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/se...itar-camera-sea-life-housing.html#post3679842 Denise did not agree with the idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom