Do you have to have CMAS certification to dive in the french med?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalAngel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking about a trip to France and I want to dive (duh, obviously). So, do I need to get a special cert to dive there? I have read that you need to have CMAS for deeper than 40 m, which is deeper than I want to go. Will my PADI cert and logbook showing 550+ dives over the past 6 years be enough?

No idea, but if it is required, take a YMCA class. You have the option of getting a CMAS certification along with the Y.

Shouldn't be a problem, AFAIK.

hi,

I haven't experience such situation as I am a CMAS diver, but I think that's not a problem if you dive with a professional club, they use to cope with all the possible systems.
With an only associative (? don't know the name in English) club it's also possible to dive with a Padi certificate but you have to make some dives to pass a Cmas equivalence
Padi -> Cmas (written in French, but Padi should provide the same in English).

Have you any idea where you will dive? atlantic or med?

SoCalAngel:
I am thinking about a trip to France and I want to dive (duh, obviously). So, do I need to get a special cert to dive there? I have read that you need to have CMAS for deeper than 40 m, which is deeper than I want to go. Will my PADI cert and logbook showing 550+ dives over the past 6 years be enough?
There are two types of operators in France, "associations" and commercial operations. You will most likely be dealing with a commercial operation, if you do your homework, you will be able to find an operation that caters to both CMAS and PADI divers, there are dozens of them along the Mediterranean coast. Being a PADI diver will not preclude you from doing all of the dives appropriate to your certification (i.e., OW, AOW, Rescue etc.). Your experience will (or should) be acknowledged, so obviously don't leave your logbook at home. Also, just because people are CMAS certified doesn't entitle them to be diving below 40 meters, those allowed to do so by the captain or divemasters/instructors on board have the appropriate certification and/or experience.
The debate about PADI vs the CMAS system in France is quickly disappearing as more and more French divers are becoming PADI certified instead or along with the French federation (CMAS-system) certifications and operators need to cater to that population of divers as well. Hope you have a great trip, let me know where you plan on diving.

Where do you want to go? if you move around France, there are also beautiful places to dive on the Atlantic-Channel coast.

If you try this web site: http://www.plongeur.com/forums , people could help you to find a diving operator which accept PADI certifiactions. It is in French, but if you post in English people will answer in English.

There is a CMAS to PADI equavalent, you do not need CMAS qualifications simply qualifications recognised by CMAS, which includes PADI.

PADI OW is equivalent to CMAS 1 star

PADI AOW and higher is CMAS 2 star

To dive deeper than 40m you need CMAS 3 star - there is no PADI grade at all that meets this requirement since PADI is a no-deco agency.

CMAS 2 star allows you to dive to 20m or to 40m with an instructor accompanying you.

Where are you going? The area around Marseille is very good for diving to 40m If you like wrecks the Planier Island just off Marseille has some very good ones no deeper than 30m. http://scubaspot.free.fr/epaves/chaouen.html

Chris

Oh I should add you need a medical certificate of less than a year old. The standards PADI one signed by a doctor should be OK.

Chris

chrisch:
There is a CMAS to PADI equavalent, you do not need CMAS qualifications simply qualifications recognised by CMAS, which includes PADI.

PADI OW is equivalent to CMAS 1 star

PADI AOW and higher is CMAS 2 star

To dive deeper than 40m you need CMAS 3 star - there is no PADI grade at all that meets this requirement since PADI is a no-deco agency.

CMAS 2 star allows you to dive to 20m or to 40m with an instructor accompanying you.

Where are you going? The area around Marseille is very good for diving to 40m If you like wrecks the Planier Island just off Marseille has some very good ones no deeper than 30m. http://scubaspot.free.fr/epaves/chaouen.html

Chris
Dear Chris,

I have the impression that we revive in déjà-vu after the serious breakdown of Scubaboard. Now, I know that you are English who lives in Luxembourg and very francophile. :D

The question is if rescues, divemaster and instructor PADI don't need a CMAS certification to dive autonomous beyond 20 meters (66 feet), I answer NO.

For beyond 20 meters (66 feet), rescue, divemaster and instructor PADI can't dive autonomous and they must be accompanied by divers CMAS 3 stars.

If rescue, divemaster and instructor would like to dive autonomous beyond 20 meters (66 feet) in France, they have to have a CMAS certification.

OW and AOWD divers can't dive autonomous in all depths and they must be accompanied by divers CMAS 3 stars up to 20 meters (66 feet) and they can never dive more than 20 meters (66 feet), even accompanied.

If you have had enough, we wait next the breakdown so that this post is again deleted. Yes, my English is very poor. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom