Hydes quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barrmust

Contributor
Reaction score
i was wondering if any one will be at hydes quarry in westminster this saturday? there will be 3 of us from the board there together. let us know, its nice meeting others from the board.

Russ

HEY!!! I WILL BE THERE!!!!

oh, wait a minute...i already know you.....as a matter of fact, i am one of the other 3 that barrmust is speaking of...hope to see some of you there.

Bill

Where is Hydes quarry? How is the diving there. I honestly havent heard of it but im looking for new places to dive. Sorry to say this weekend is out for me, maybe another time.

Hmm... Wasn't sure if Undersea was going to open it on Saturday or not -- though there does seem to be a underwater nav course there that morning, so I guess they'll be there. Might have to see if I can finally talk the wife into getting back in the pool. We have all this brand new gear hanging in the closet and it hasn't even gotten wet yet. :(

We stopped by there last Sunday to see how things were looking -- they were there putting a new platform in over at the far water entrance.

The people that were in said it was 42-45 degrees below the thermocline that day.

Hyde's quarry is in Westminster, MD. It's run by Undersea Outfitters - give George or Laird a call at 410.517.4999 for details and to make sure it's open. Laird has also been putting in a new changing trailer...

YEP...the water is chilly....last time we were there(a couple of week-ends ago) i had 39* at 42'....that was in a wetsuit...this time i have my new drysuit that i will be trying out!! also, we spoke with George for a bit. he told us about the new platform that was going in and that they will be addding more stuff in the near future. i think he said something about a fire truck?? and hey, for $15.00(compared to $25.00 now at Bainbridge which is also a longer drive) you cant beat it.

Bill

they also said they were putting in a grain combine i think. also they are open on wed night during the summer.

Russ

C'MON Brad where you at....i am getting hungry!! and i want to get this new drysuit wet!!!!

Did you all end up making it out this weekend? If so, what was the water temp?

yep, we were there......58* degrees at the surface. right around 40* at 52'.....this was our second time there, first time diving dry. we were able to find an old conveyor belt, some sort of equiptment set-up on a trailer of sorts and the Jeep. other than some algie floating around on the surface to contend with, i still say that this place is hard to beat for the price to get in and the convenience of it's location. it works good for us as a testing ground for new gear. post when your gonna go next. we just might be headin' up there too. maybe i will post a pick or two from this week-end.

Bill

Hopefully, weather permitting, we'll be out there next Saturday or Sunday.

Other than Dutch Springs and Epcot, this is the only water we've been in so far so not much to compare to unfortunately :) I keep telling myself that after a quarry, just about anything else will be a more enjoyable dive! (Not that Hyde's is not enjoyable -- just the usual cold/low-vis/only-two-kinds-of-fish routine :) )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom